Farming, orchards, and indoor plants

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by monkeysmack, Jan 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. monkeysmack

monkeysmack Avatar

I don't remember seeing much on the specifics of farming but I certainly hope we will have a range of crops including orchards: apple, orange, banana, coconut trees that can be grown on the lots or in pots inside the house. That would be really fun.

Time Lord, deadq, ByTor and 7 others like this.
  2. Fireangel

Fireangel Avatar

Woot! I love fruit, and trees, so +1

Time Lord likes this.
  3. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

I want both... inside crops and outside crops... agreed :cool:

Time Lord likes this.
  4. monkeysmack

monkeysmack Avatar

Not sure how the 'seed' system would work. Of course you don't want the market flooded with, say, apple trees so getting seeds from an already existing plant should be somewhat difficult or require a skill. I imagine most orchards will start with buying seeds from an NPC vendor or buying a full apple tree from the add-on store. Conditions for germination will differ depending on the plant. Maybe you will need a growing 'recipe' like you would need a recipe to make prepared foods. Also, I can see transferring a plant from outdoors to indoors require some special skill----or the plant dies within a certain number of days.

Time Lord likes this.
  5. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I remember awhile back RG had been working on a rather extensive list of cooking ingredients. I'm not entirely sure just how detailed they plan to make cooking/plant related stuff for EP1 but I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised by variety. :)

6. Bohica

Bohica Avatar

could quite possibly introduce seeds on monster corpses, or just a simple seed vendor. I always had like this kind of thing in games. If not anything else, it gave me a reason to log in today. Got to log in and water my plants.

Time Lord, ByTor and Miracle Dragon like this.
  7. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

NPC vendors should never sell anything that has not been sold into the vendors "sell pool" from a player, yes in time you could buy that rare spider orange seed but only because some player somewhere sold that particular seed to a vendor somewhere.
    All seeds should come from the wilds, if you want to rummage through a dead corpses belly for seeds is up to you but I would think fruit bearing plants you could just pick a fruit in the wild & plant the fruit, would need to be in that fruit's season so not always available. Non fruit bearing you would need to find a seed on the tree/plant, after harvesting the plant there could be a chance there is a seed or 2 somewhere on it, hopefully also in it's seed season. Would be awesome if they could incorporate a few things based on season, doesn't need to be extravagant weather patterns.

*edit* Certain things like regs would grow in abundance in the wild and be far more readily available than other things and vendors could sell a few of these if they didn't have any in their 'sell pool'.

Time Lord, deadq and Miracle Dragon like this.
  8. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

Banana Trees!! Yes!!

Time Lord likes this.
  9. redfish

redfish Avatar

Banana and coconut should be harder to grow though because you're transplanting it into a poor climate... unless there's an area of the game with a proper climate.

10. monkeysmack

monkeysmack Avatar

I don't remember seeing any tropical climates on the New Britannia map. There was desert, swamp, and temperate if I remember right. Banana and coconut should do ok in a swamp and horribly in a desert. Of course extra water could be provided but there is no way to provide extra sun light.

Time Lord likes this.
  11. redfish

redfish Avatar

I live in California, I have a banana tree in my backyard -- its not tropical here. Coconut I think is harder to grow.. But I believe around the Middle Ages both bananas and coconuts were grown in the Middle East, because that's where they were imported from in Europe. In some places where the desert meets the sea in the Middle East there are humid areas with coconut groves. If other trees are planted around the coconut trees, I think that could help provide humidity, too.

What about Buccaneer's Den? And I remember at some point they made the islands around Jhelom have palm trees.

Time Lord likes this.
  12. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

Maybe New Britannia has a special low-light variant of the common banana strand.. instead of yellow, they could be white, and grow on much smaller trees - practically bushes perhaps. Since they like the shade, we could call them shananas.

13. redfish

redfish Avatar

You can call them shananas. :)

14. monkeysmack

monkeysmack Avatar

A cool add-on item would be a 'sun globe' that would let you grow plants in your basement. That's so redfish doesn't sneak onto my lot and steal bananas. ;)

15. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

Farming (and ranching) has been discussed many times in many places. I'd really like to see it. It is potentially very powerful. So it needs some level of mechanics, trade offs, and throttles to stay somewhat balanced. Many (most?) people won't have a house at all. Having one should give more options, and quite possibly more convenience, but not necessarily more free stuff.

One possibility would be to have them be quite slow by default. e.g. I can't see something which takes a week to grow really unbalancing things.
    After this, each character has some pool of "gathering / crafting mojo" (replenished daily, through quests, whatever) which could be used for better / faster crafts and gathers. So I could spend this picking my apples right away, or making my pie bake right away, or trying to make a really awesome pie.

This gives me some advantage to having an apple tree. But not an absolute advantage.

16. TenoMeric

TenoMeric Avatar

I think to produce the Immersion that we all are looking for that basic skills/framing/botany/herbilism ect... should be apart of the crafting tree!!

Time Lord likes this.
  17. smack

smack Avatar

There should also be an equivalent "moon globe" where you use pieces of the shattered moon to grow different kinds of plants or other resources that wouldn't under regular sun light!

Time Lord likes this.
  18. Fox Cunning

Fox Cunning Localization Team

Moonflowers!

Time Lord and Bowen Bloodgood like this.
  19. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

That actually sounds quite nice.. and I don't even like flowers.. but I'm sure the ladies would love it. :)

Time Lord likes this.
  20. redfish

redfish Avatar

Datura, ie thorn-apples. :) They're toxic.

Time Lord and Fox Cunning like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.