Features you'd like to see in Shroud of the Avatar

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by cs2501x, Mar 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ☆Ritechezfire - RSF☆

☆Ritechezfire - RSF☆ Avatar

Also.. farmers.. ehh... livestock... cattle farming... pens... able to manage pigs, cows, etc.
    Maybe you could host a big bbq at the end of a siege as a community thanks to those "brave warriors" or some other sort of celebratory event for freeing a village. :D Speaking of which, I'm guessing there be the ability to earn renown by doing particularly brave/heroic/dastardly deeds. So you can have a good/bad stigma as a result.

Time Lord and jondavis like this.
  2. smack

smack Avatar

@KernelPanic: I like my food spicy, so make it super spicy with ghost chili peppers. +1 Berserk.

Time Lord likes this.
  3. wdboyd

wdboyd Avatar

Salutations,

I too would love to see mountable warhorses (or other mounts). Apparently this can be problematic to implement, but it would be a desirable addition to the game for me. I love horses. This could lead to providing tack (bridles, saddles etc.). Not to mention getting armor for the mounts. Hey, maybe this would create a cottage industry for mount armor production. Uh... there goes my imagination again.

jondavis likes this.
  4. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

@Ritechezfire-RSF. Donkeys are badASS

Time Lord, DavenRock and jondavis like this.
  5. cs2501x

cs2501x Avatar

Tattoos sound interesting; spicy food could be dangerous. :)

Great ideas, folks.

*aggregating threads*

jondavis likes this.
  6. BoMbY

BoMbY Avatar

It would be awesome if you somehow could resemble the look&feel of vanilla UO in a modern fashion with this game. Like they are currently doing it with Torment and Eternity.

7. Ent

Ent Avatar

Just another thought or two on Weapons and Combat..

Low skill, low durability, high payoff weapons - There is a reason why many foot soldiers throughout history would be armed with spears or even billhooks. They were super easy to make and very point and kill. But there is beauty to the fact that they would take a short time to learn and a lifetime to master. I think it would be interesting in the progression of the game that newer characters similarly gravitated towards simple polearms, short swords, and clubs because, at least while they developed other skills (or specialized in them), they could use these shoddier, easily made/used weapons to greater effect than high skill weapons like two handed swords, bows, etc. In the curve of the game a short sword might still be better for you than a long until you are beyond, say, 60/100 skill. However the fastest way to skill up would be with the more advanced weapon (or perhaps you must master all of the weapons within a weapon type to attain 100/100 skill). Any of these weapons when made with end-game materials should be "at-level" durability and viability so that they are never obsolete. Many a skilled old man in a movie teaches the armored hero a lesson with a quarter staff. Make it so.

In this same vein, while I agree with earlier posts in this topic that you should not have to switch weapons to use specific powers (which is a detriment to fun), you should still be able to play a character who is very viably thrifty in his/her weapon switches. You should be able to stab away with a one handed spear until it breaks or is pulled out of your hand and then you draw your one handed sword. A rogue might have many daggers on his person because sometimes you throw/lose one or leave it behind in an opponent. An archer would obviously have need of a sidearm as well. I think with the "playing card" style combat that has been discussed these sorts of possibilities would be easy to include.

"Wrestling": One free hand should be useable as part of a wrestling/gripping attack when paired with another one handed weapon or even a shield. Two free hands should allow for martial attacks. Kicks, disarms, and bumrushing tactics can blend into any weapon skill presumably but excellence is found in specialization into the martial/wrestling skill.

8. Glory

Glory Avatar

I would like to see Characters being able to pick up items like gold and things out of chests instead of just seeing the numbers go "poof" in the air, also this is minor but i think being able to walk as well as run helps for the roleplay element and something about that just feels more natural and realistic in gaming. I also hope to see the ability to have different looks cosmetically depending on what is worn whether its armor clothing whatever. And please bring back the uniquely epic paperdoll :)

9. The Captain

The Captain Avatar

@ND3G -- You wrote "14. Characters that are too black or white. I am a huge fan of George R. R. Martin?s Song of Fire and Ice series (Game of Thrones) and one of the reasons I enjoy it so much is that it is very much a ?gray? fantasy. Everyone has their own goals and agendas and while those goals can and often do cause characters to clash with each other, no one is marching all around the world committing evil deeds just for the heck of it."

I agree -- character is critical to story. The best stories always have the most colorful, intelligent, and complicated "villains."

10. redtom

redtom Avatar

Crafting via phone app.

11. redtom

redtom Avatar

Also phone access to auctions, equipped inventory, skill trees, updates about your house, quests, rumours etc. Anything that just makes you want to get back home and start playing.

12. Jothyn

Jothyn Avatar

Have an option for crafting or battle keys one option gives you playing keys other one crafting keys Reason: i really hated wearing my finger out crafting pick up move to forge click what making might want to make the crafting stackable with runes like automaticly takes ore and crafts shoulder armor or plate gloves when you get so high
    also ad boards for the crafter a board in town that lists all the crafters in town Example:come to sam's smithy selling only the best plate armor in town!!!! today only prices 10% off if you buy two plate mail gloves with purchase of 5 items you get a free gift or BOGO!!!!

13. Jothyn

Jothyn Avatar

for us lazy or computer challenged when you get the char generator running make it easy to transfer that to little facial Avatars and if they look great people will as where ya got it from Free Advertizing !!!!!!!!!!

14. jini risi

jini risi Avatar

important as the Japanese do not **** a million thoughtless things and no balance. Made in the good old style, man in his own style. Kal Vas Flam in the ass and took his grandmother's ring.

15. jini risi

jini risi Avatar

sor for my english guys

16. Druim_Ligen

Druim_Ligen Avatar

Each hex controllable by player entity (guilds). The control is determined by 'control structures' at/proximal to the hexes. E.g. A player built castle, keep, towers, within hexes. Each type of 'control structure' has different 'control radius' that determines how many hexes around the structure will fall under the control of the owner entity (guilds). e.g. Castle: 2 tile radius around it, Keep: 1 tile radius around it, tower: single hex where it resides. These control structure can be seized, destroyed, captured by player entities. Control will grant taxes from farms, villages, towns, cities that fall under the controlled hexes.

jondavis likes this.
  17. Silent Strider

Silent Strider Avatar

- Dynamic difficulty for PvE encounters based on PvP flag, availability of PvP opponents, and group size.

The idea is to make the encounters as close as possible in overall difficulty, allowing for a smaller difference in rewards between PvP and PvE while keeping PvP competitive for progression and overall "farming".

Some examples of how the scaling could work:

- PvE group: they would get the most challenging version of the encounter, with rewards increased to make it a bit more worthwhile for the time spent than playing solo (to incentive, but not force, players to group).

- PvP group, unopposed: they would get an easier encounter, though not too easier, but with the same rewards as the PvE one. The easier difficulty is to partially make up for when they do encounter PvP opponents.

- PvP group, opponents available: the encounter is even easier than for unopposed PvP groups, to account for the fact the winners are likely having to do the encounter at half strength; the rewards should still be the same as for the PvE group. Keep in mind, though, that having the opposite groups appear in different areas of the map, with the NPCs positioned in ways that can be manipulated into attacking the opposite group, might provide some interesting variations for the encounter.

- Solo PvE player: similar to the PvE group, but with the encounter either scaled down to single player, or else with the enemies spread around enough that the solo player is able to vanquish them in manageable groups. The amount of rewards per time should be slightly lower than for each player in the PvE group, taking into account that the larger group will likely be doing events at a faster pace and, so, travel time should be accounted for.

- Solo PvP player, opposed or not: easier than for the PvE player with the same rewards, applying the same variations as for groups.

Time Lord likes this.
  18. RandAlThor

RandAlThor Avatar

I would like to see that spells interact with the environment. By this i mean when raining lightning spells may hit more people, or fire spells be very ineffective in the swamp when it is raining, or cold spells do very little in areas that would melt most frost. im sure others can say it better but this is just spitballing

19. Arrakis Dar'luim

Arrakis Dar'luim Avatar

Horse riding in my mind is almost a must. I remember being able to ride and tame dragons and llamas as well. It helped provide status and skill which for some, is important to the development and fit of their RP character.

I like the idea of having many articles of clothing. Let's not forget orc masks and bandanas and neon hair dye. All those things bring a great deal of character and charisma, or for some that level of intimidation.

I agree with Owain's proposal for the PK/Anti-PK system basically being maintained by us players. This provides real world situations with consequences and a chance to let players immerse themselves much more for their chosen paths. It almost compels you to commit to something, but on the other hand, doesn't require one player to be hunted by NPCs. A criminal should be able to walk around, depending on his/her status anywhere. If their reputation is that of an unstoppable animal, then so be it. It wouldn't subject a high level Pk'er to the same scrutiny as a low level PK'er. This will implore the community to address that aspect of their society.

I remember taking place in those PK Anti-PK Battles in the Pacific server and how important it was to the value of gameplay.

20. gariandamo

gariandamo Avatar

The virtues should have plenty of room in the game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.