Features you'd like to see in Shroud of the Avatar

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by cs2501x, Mar 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Javin

Javin Avatar

On this point, we agree. But it seems to be the go-to argument for many. In fact, I was going to quote almost those exact words from someone from another thread, but I figured it'd be in bad form to cross threads like that.

2. Javin

Javin Avatar

Yep... Pretty done with this part of the debate. If you pretend losing the last few hours since your last save as "losing nothing" then there's really nothing worth talking about. (And let's not pretend that everyone who plays video games religiously saves every five minutes. I've no interest in going down that road, either.)

TemplarAssassin likes this.
  3. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

It's impossible to be griefed in PvP mode by being attacked. If you're in PvP mode being attacked unexpectedly comes with the territory. However you don't have to LET yourself be killed repetedly. This requires the player to think, and also find other players that might help you and work together with you to handle the threat.

Time Lord and TemplarAssassin like this.
  4. cs2501x

cs2501x Avatar

I, too, would like to avoid 'super bosses'--in the MMO sense. Those events seem to be more about 'syncronised swimming' rather than playing a game--which, honestly, I never found particularly fun.

jgrahl, Owain and Isaiah MGT470 like this.
  5. TemplarAssassin

TemplarAssassin Avatar

You see, it appears most people do not get it.
    They go to the same place after being killed, alone (!!) and then they get killed again.

They get para-spammed by PKs in dungeons and yet they never carry a few trapped pouches.
    Their house gets infiltratred & relieved of the goods inside several times, yet they never use Detect Hidden when they go there.

The conclusion we can draw from this is very simple: most people who get repeatedly griefed - they don't seem to use their..well..their brain.

Now I can imagine how this could be a problem in a game played mostly by five year olds. Like Hello Kitty Online or WoW. But games that are more 'niche' don't get many players who're barely over the age of breastfeeding. They do not need to cater to their mindless playstyle that much.

So I hope we get as few 'casual' features that artificially make the game easier for certain types of people as possible.

sakuraba likes this.
  6. TemplarAssassin

TemplarAssassin Avatar

Well, super bosses themselves are not a bad idea at all.

For example, there can be a huge white blind wyrm appearing at the lowest level of some cave or dungeon. It's super strong and angry, and it breathes fire. It does not have to always be 'Joe the Blind Wyrm' but it defenitely is 'THE wyrm', huge, strong and hard to beat. As long as it's not made a grindfest, it's a cool way to entertain pvmers and give them real challenge.

You can solo a dragon? Ha-ha, take that, I defeated THE wyrm with a party of five people the other day!

Javin likes this.
  7. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

The ancient wyrm at the bottom of Destard in UO I don't consider a super boss. Sure it was highly improbable that you could solo that creature especially since it could spit fire across the room that could possibly kill you in one hit. However it wasn't impossible for a group to go down there and beat it. Or even for a tamer to take his pet down there and possbily survive that combat.

A super boss is something you find in a game like WoW where they have rediculous tactics and it takes 30 minutes to an hour to constantly hit the guy with everything you got. It also has super powers that you have to read up on the web to know how to fight the guy or your whole party dies. It's just not fun. I liked the Balrons in UO and the Wyrm mentioned above. Those creatures appeared that they could exist in the world without unballancing them. One of the WoW superbosses could single handedly take over the world. A Balron would get killed if it tried to take on a city by itself.

Time Lord likes this.
  8. Javin

Javin Avatar

I'm not opposed to super-bosses either. It wouldn't be much of a magical world if any single player could take out any "boss" in the game. Seems after a short order, all bosses would be the same strength, which would be weaker than EVERY player. Doesn't sound like much fun to me.

UO actually had superbosses. I remember running the dungeon that had the giant spider ALL the time. Then when it died, it was like a friggen pinata, spewing potions, reagents, armor, and gold from it's bowels, and a giant kiddy candy-grab would commence. All of the dozens of people it had taken to take her down would pile in and start snatching whatever they could. It was a riot.

9. Javin

Javin Avatar

Ah. by this definition, I'm in agreement. But it doesn't seem like this would even be something it'd make sense to put in the game, due to the way the online play will be structured. But I definitely agree that you shouldn't have a system where you wait in a "LFR" queue for an hour just to join 25 strangers who tell you nothing about the boss, then you all wipe because you didn't know you were supposed to stand on one foot while holding your sword above your head every time the boss sneezed, and everyone starts screaming at you about being a "stupid noob". Yeah. I can pass on that.

Isaiah MGT470 likes this.
  10. cs2501x

cs2501x Avatar

Lots of activity going on today in this thread--but many of the items being posted are discussionary in nature. This is fun, but in order to better track your conversations and get folks involved. As a suggestion, please post a new thread and then reply here with a link to it. People will be more likely to read a fresh idea that isn't on page 33 of multi-month old thread ;), plus you'll get more related activity.

Good job folks on the suggestions. :)

Fireangel and TemplarAssassin like this.
  11. Terran Priest

Terran Priest Avatar

Rogue Class, with Thief as option.

I haven't bothered searching yet to see if it's mentioned, but role-playing a thief is the most awesome, with actual thief skills, like in the original UO; before the train-wreck Trammel...

cs2501x and TemplarAssassin like this.
  12. Terran Priest

Terran Priest Avatar

Shroud of the Avatar - With Feluccan like Rule-Set; like the Original UO, including, but not limited too, thieves.

13. Terran Priest

Terran Priest Avatar

Not sure if mentioned already; but: Water / Ocean / Sea-going vessels; Maritime activities, like fishing, treasure hunting, etc.

14. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

A Perma-Death option.

Time Lord and TemplarAssassin like this.
  15. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

It's optional. It's called deleting your own character after you die.

Time Lord likes this.
  16. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

Really? What is the title of this thread? Are you a dev or Portilarium's official spokes person?

Time Lord likes this.
  17. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I'll tell you who I am... I'm a guy also posting in light of this thread that says if you want permadeath delete your character.

The problem with permadeath is that since the character is you... if you die you can never play again because you're dead. can't creat a new you. So NO to permadeath. ;)

Time Lord likes this.
  18. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

I understand what you are saying, but you don't seem to understand the concept that I put forth in the Perma-Death thread. You either didn't bother reading it or just shut your mind to anything you don't want to do your self, and have apparently descided that nobody else should be able to do it either, and aren't opposed to vetoing or shutting down fellow community members as if you had some kind of official authority to do so. I'm sure if this suggestion (and it is only a suggestion) isn't acceptable to the Portilarium staff and the dev team they will certainly not do it.

Also do you understand that it's not really you? It's just a cartoon version of you in a cartoon world, where the rules of "reality" do not apply.

Time Lord and vjek like this.
  19. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I'm only playing around BillRoy. Relax. I doubt they will ever do a permadeath and they said they weren't as well. So really what does it matter? I vote no permadeath. But that vote doesn't really matter. The fact there won't be permadeath... now that matters. ;)

Time Lord likes this.
  20. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

Perma death!!! Until I get resurrected..;)

Isaiah MGT470 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.