Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Feeling of Solania

Discussion in 'Release 26 Feedback Forum' started by Svahn, Feb 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Svahn

Svahn Avatar

It just occurred to me tonight when I logged in quickly to take a look at my attempt at growing garlic and elderberry.
    This magic is happening in Solania.
    One of the towns I like the most as I feel it's rather beautyful :).

The feeling that struck me was - oh my, this place feels empty and "dead" :(.

Is it supposed to be this way in a NPC town?
    Is it supposed to be this way in Solania specifically?
    Will it get better, as in less empty and "dead" - if so then when?
    Here doesn't seem to be any NPC housing, so can it possibly become better I wonder? Perhaps I haven't looked closely enough.

I mostly log in in single player online, I don't know why, it just happens that way - still that should be a viable way to get immersed, at least at final wipe and lot claiming-time..

I hope every NPC town will feel more "alive" closer to summer with lots of NPCs roaming around.
    I don't really care if the graphics quality setting has to be turned down to cope with added "life".

Sota should strive to feel like a living world - one that is not dependent on players to feel "alive".
    In my view.

Edit:
    Come to think of it Resolute feels more alive than Solania, at least in the courtyard, but there is something about Resolute I don't like, can't put my finger on what though, perhaps the way it's planned.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
  2. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

I thought Vertas was really cool. Too cool in fact, I dont like snow, so I moved. But it feels "alive," if you can get past the elvish snobbery. There are a few humies wandering about too.

I moved to Jaanaford, and it feels like a real settlement. NPCs are boozin in the bar, the little market shopkeepers have their sales pitches, fishermen are onery and want to be left alone, and the gypsies are skittish. Plus there is a trainer, so bonus!

Those are the only two NPC towns I have experience with. In fact, when I lived in Ardoris for every other release, it felt less alive than Jaanaford. Mainly because its very large by comparison, and all the NPCs are indoors or kept to one section in the middle. Only guards wander about. Jaanaford is so tiny, and all the NPCs are gathered in one place, so it feels more alive and energetic.

3. Svahn

Svahn Avatar

But aren't the player housings well separated from the NPC part of Jaanaford?
    I must plan a trip to Jaanaford to scout the place out :)

Alexander and Sara Dreygon like this.
  4. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

I agree that Solania is beautiful - at least the part overlooking the lake and the statue is. When I was last there (R19?) Solania didn't have any kind of central market that people would congregate in or even have to cross coming from all directions. The main shops are all on a thin strip of pavement facing the lake. The vendors, except for the skills trainer, are all inside shops, making it look even more empty. Anyone wanting to visit a vendor enters at the side entrance, runs to the shop and then runs back out again.

If any life is to be breathed into Solania, it has to be done by the inhabitants. This is difficult when they are all strangers to one another, but not impossible. Alternatively, Portalarium could put a marketplace in the center of the residential district and turn the row houses facing the waterfront into residences.

Svahn likes this.
  5. Alexandra Cornfellow

Alexandra Cornfellow Avatar

I'm living in Solania this release and I'm loving it. I hope I'm able to get a nice lot here when the wipes are over in July--I think I might try to make this my permanent home. My second choice is Kiln. I think it is really beautiful. It has the feeling of a frontier town with lots (and I mean lots) of wild flowers. There is a rustic central market with lots of stalls. I'm not finished exploring all of the towns so I may change my mind.

Cheers!

Svahn and Kara Brae like this.
  6. Gadfrey Zukes

Gadfrey Zukes Avatar

I'm pretty sure in speaking with Solania's npc it is considered a 'backwater' town. It is in a swamp after all.

iirc They mention that wealthy folks pass through on their way to their island homes, but not many want to live in Solania itself. Seems like a good town to choose if you are the anti-social type. :)

7. Alexandra Cornfellow

Alexandra Cornfellow Avatar

Or if you wish to change things...see the potential. I remember my many years in UO...the 'hip' spots would migrate from time to time. Moonglow was a huge hangout early on, and of course Brit bank, then the bank at Luna...and Skara Brae had it's own group for a long time. Who knows? Perhaps Solania will be trendy some day :)

8. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.