1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Final Wipe and Lot Selection

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Jan 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Markus

John Markus Avatar

PoT owners has also acquired lot deeds so that they can place additional objects/buildings into their town.
    In my PoT, I plan to use two village lots for public use, and the second lot selection window prevents me from applying the second deed until late in the month.

There are two issues with lot selection windows:
    - Early advantage of having crafting tables (this is addressed by the first lot selection window).
    - Lot availability for everyone in NPC/PRT Towns (this is addressed by delayed second selection window, so that everyone can get to pick at least one decent location).

I understand getting crafting table early does unfair advantages, however after first lot selection window, I see no reason why PoT-owner reserved lots can have effect on lot-availabilities (unless Port thinks that ppl in lot selection should be able to ignore PoT-owner set reservations).

Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
    ThurisazSheol likes this.
  2. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

As i said @Roycestein Kaelstrom in my post, as a business decision, i do not fault them at all, as it is most fair as it can be for as many demographics as possible. :)

For those who are less stubborn than i am, and will participate in the land rush, they can always set up their first lot as a staging area with storage and crafting stations, for their townies to use until full access is opened up. They dont have to set the decision in stone as to which house they will use... Just place where they want first.

Leelu likes this.
  3. Etheom

Etheom Avatar

Very excited about this announcement!

4. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

I disagree with this, and everyone else who uses such committed language. No one forces you to place during the land rush. You simply wait about 30 days or so, and then place your deed. I doubt this will matter much to you after a few months, and years later youre likely to not even remember. I do agree that its a bit of an inconvenience to POT owners, but really, you just have to wait a month or so, its not that bad.

For Guardian's sake, you practically have a lot of your choice, actually many lots of your choice, reserved for you. The game has been in "pre-alpha-somethingish" for like 2 years now, I really dont believe having to wait 30 or so days is going to do any harm.

what youre doing with your deed(s), come time for your lot selection group, is your choice, you are not forced.

I do agree with this, and understand its a concern for POT owners. However, the game will have greater longevity than a month, and there will be players looking for a home after the "land rush". I intend to place many of my add-on store deeds in POTs around the world, once the land rush is over, how is your town? want another resident?

I am going to speculate wildly here - because my speculation is as entirely viable as every other grand speculation in this thread - but I predict that after a short time, players start realizing that NPC towns are boring and stale compared to POTs (though I am on board with the idea that PRTs will be like the trailer park of SoTA, but hey thats life, we all cant have it all). I predict that after a short time, players realize that POTs have better community, more social opportunities, better opportunities for trade and economic gains, events, various wonders of new britannia (church of chaos anyone?!), mob spawns, etc. I predict that NPC towns, especially the non main cities, will appear more anti social, have looser communities, and a generic, boring feel. Ultimately, I believe that at first, everyone is going to trample each other to get at an NPC town like its the first day Pound Puppies were released. After a few weeks or a month or so, players will feel the stale-ness of living in a town filled with robots, and then be all like, "wow, that huge POT metropolis over there is colorful, filled with cool people, and well, alive...". Basically, you wont have a hard time filling your POT if you promote it and make it look cool.

While on that note, it seems like very few of you POT owners actually care about promoting your towns. I should make a separate thread on this altogether, but its relevant given the discussions in the last few pages of this thread. I spent R26-R28 scouring Novia for cool POTs and contacting the owners. For completely understandable reasons, virtually all of them are ghost towns or just empty space. Some are metro-sized and have like 2 buildings. The owners are mostly MIA/AWOL. I would contact the owners of the towns that were in places I like or had biomes I like, and almost all the time receive no response. I'd try again, no response. I reached out on the forums to many people, and say I am a resident interested in your town. The responses vary from silence to "yeap, its a town, yeap, I own it...". Sure, some of you have some fancy signatures linking to websites about your towns, or otherwise act like youre going to have this thriving community, but when I contact you, you seem a lot less than thrilled. The point I want to make is - no one I have contacted has ever tried to sell me on the idea of living in their POT. No one seems to care much. One person tried really hard to get me to live there, but answered zero of my questions about their intentions for the community or plans for the future. Most people are like "im too busy to care right now, ill get back to you later" and never did. Im not upset - I just want the community to be aware - it seems like no POT owners are lifting a finger to reach out to the community!

So if yall are worried about filling out your POTs - how about try? Ill be doing the same thing come R29, lets see if anyone bites this time. I do believe POTs will be way cooler than NPC towns over time, and a large portion of the SoTA player base will want to live in the most fun POTs. Be ready to answer player questions about your town. Be ready to show off your town, explain what makes it unique, what makes it practical, and why, generally, a player would want to live there! Silence, or a non-answer, will make it look like you dont care, and thats kind of risky for those of us looking for a place to call home.

Note: I certainly did not contact all POT owners, not even close. I am sure there are plenty of you that would have given me some enthusiasm about your POT. This is my personally biased sample set, thats all.

Otherwise, this is not UO, dont wrap your head around the idea that "living at the entrance to Britian = success". Understand that making your house a successful economic venture (which sounds really boring to me, IMO), depends upon where the communities thrive the most, and I highly doubt it will be in all but one or two of the NPC towns. I do believe that POTs with active and dedicated owners will have thriving communities. I do expect there to be some competition between a few select POTs to attract players/residents. Likewise, I do predict lots of ghost towns due to owners not really reaching out at all (some by choice - I get it that some people want a town to themselves, my roomate even wants to do that).

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
  5. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

My pot came in with R28 and I spent a lot of time using all the things I accumulated for 3 months to play around with how I want it when it goes live. I placed a lot of plots for people (nobody took them). I'll probably go the same route as most PoT owners this round of 3 months, I probably wont do much. It took a lot of time to do what I did in my PoT and it was worth it to practice but not repeat no into another wipe. I think most owners are in the exact same spot, they are just waiting of persistence.

I think a lot of PoT owners probably bought them as their own "house" and other then guilds, probably don't care if people move in at all.

cartodude likes this.
  6. CharlieChaos

CharlieChaos Avatar

I will be promoting and trying to grow my PoT but I did purchase it to make it my own little kingdom. I do agree that there is A LOT of work put into deco and setup of a PoT and after you have the practice and layout you might be done till persistence.

Shameless plug but if anyone is looking to reserve a spot or help build a PoT I am looking for people to help with events and what not send me a PM

7. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

@2112Starman Yah thats cool, and its totally fine that people buy POTs to make their own little kindgoms, or houses with massive lawns. I guess in short, what I was expressing, was thus: it seems like some voices are depending on the "land rush" to populate their towns, and feel that "post-land-rush" their towns wont have as much chance being populated. Depending on the chance of "land rush" populating your town seems like a watery foundation, instead, promote your POT!

8. Kensing Ton

Kensing Ton Avatar

<gone...>

Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
  9. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

So my account is listed as a slot 18. I have a question about how that number is calculated. I also paid for a PoT so my accumulated spending should drop me into slot 16 shouldn't it? If not, how is that $$$ figure calculated?

Leelu likes this.
  10. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Seems like the PoT doesn't count into that.
    Got the same 'issue'. Don't mind it tbh. PoTs will be a lot of work for Port. I see the price as payment for this work and because of that I think it's ok that the PoT doesn't count towards the Slot.
    Wouldn't mind if it would of course ;-)

11. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

The placement window is only calculated on the amount you spend on your pledge tier - no other purchases count.

12. Gregoire Visaard

Gregoire Visaard Avatar

What is the best way to add money to a pledge above and beyond the pledge level your at in order to move up a group or two in the Lot Selection process.

I was going to suggest (someone in our guild) that they just click on upgrade their pledge to next level LM and then pay what ever amount of money the want/need to get themselves up to the next group. Then cancel their payment plan the next day and wala! You have added money to your current pledge that will just sit there adding to your total pledge amount and now are in the top group within that pledge level, jumping over several hundred players in theory.

But I am not sure this is the best/safest way to do it. Should they just email Portalarium and ask them to take the store credits they purchased and apply them manually?

Or is there another way. Also is it true you have to play Portalarium $25 for a service request, just to add money above and beyond the minimum pledge level? That seems crazy!

"In order for you to give me extra cash, you must pay me another $25 to process that transaction! "....that just sounds cold blooded and extremely greedy! Hopefully I am wrong on that.

Thanks for the tips ahead of time, good luck to all of you come July- August!

Leelu likes this.
  13. bwtdozer

bwtdozer Avatar

Black Tortoise, Leelu and 2112Starman like this.
  14. Scorch

Scorch Avatar

I have not played much beta, been waiting for release. Is there a good guide on how I would even understand how to pick a good plot?

RancidRat likes this.
  15. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

It's all speculation @Scorch, and entirely dependent on what you want your lot for. Your guess is as good as anyone else's. Likely better, because only you know what you want out of a lot.

16. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Here are a few things I'm doing.

1. I'm going into single player online mode to select a lot. Why? Because I don't need players lagging up my scene standing around doing stupid stuff while I'm trying to pick a lot.

2. Because I need a deed to claim a lot, I have to go to the bank and collect a deed first. I'm not picking up any other items or stuff between my time to select a lot and my time after I've created a character. Why? Because who knows what kind of bugs there will be that no one is even aware of yet? I wouldn't want to try to select my lot only to be informed later that the reason I was unable to do so was because of the "boots in inventory bug", or whatever else could happen.

3. I went out ahead of time and scouted out lots I'd like to claim. They're near each other in case someone else is faster on the draw than I am. But I have a back up plan just in case everyone else in the world is thinking the same way I am.

As far as "speculation" goes: Rufus is correct, your guess is as good as mine. But conventional wisdom says that having a lot with good "foot traffic" is the most valuable trait to have if you wish to resell. That means, is it by a bank, by a quest giver, by a public vendor? If yes, more people are likely to walk by it and notice it exists.

4. I don't care what my character looks like, I'm going to be in single player mode and I can always delete my character and recreate a new one the moment after I claim my deed. (the deed ownership will stay with me even after I delete my character)

I hope this helps. After all this is done and over with, I plan to sit in my house (wherever that is) and come back to the forums to watch people cry about not getting the lot they wanted. I don't wish ill on anyone, but if people feel the need to cry about it in public I'm ready to enjoy the heck out of that. Afterall, it's been a very long wait for me over the last 3+ years. :)

RancidRat, Elwyn and Alton Brown like this.
  17. Floors

Floors Avatar

So Thankful for this PoT owners can't have it all !!!!

18. Alton Brown

Alton Brown Avatar

Then again had you been Born is the USA you would have the fund to be a Lord of the Manor .....

19. Curt

Curt Avatar

I would like if when you have a lot deed in your inventory you could see on the overworld if a town has a deed of that type or not.
    Also would be good if all control points was open during land rush

Koldar likes this.
  20. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

@DarkStarr

Feedback: For POT owner like me, who have only Player Owned Town Prorerity Deed, I dont understand why Player Owned Town Properity Deed should be in a Lot Selection Groupe.

I dont wanna wait one month before I can get a lot in my own town. I will be the only citizen without lot in my own town.

Anyway POT's are consensual lots selection agreement.

Duke Olahorand and Balandar like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.