Fire mages cant play together

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Filter Bubble Algorithm, Nov 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Echondas

Echondas Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

Kinda glad it works this way - if every mage enemy was stacking multiple DOTs on you of the same spell, it would really suck!

Net likes this.
  2. Peabo

Peabo Avatar

You can douse it off.

3. redfish

redfish Avatar

:O

Putting it this way...

If it were all the same, you wouldn't have some fire spells doing 1-4 dmg every 2 secs, and others doing 2-8 dmg, and you wouldn't be able to do more than one type of fire debuff at once . :> So the game logic already accounts for the intensity of the fire, which would bear out the same way with stacking a debuff.

4. Senash Kasigal

Senash Kasigal Avatar

I do not know if it has changed in the meantime, but it was a well known problem in GW2.
    You have World Boss Events with dozens of Players and DoTs stacks max 10.
    We will be able to play in bigger groups than 8. Whats than? Only one Firemage but 10 with Swords? Thats not diverse.

5. Tetsu Nevara

Tetsu Nevara Avatar

In GW2 it is 1500 Stacks now.
    But while we talk about diversity, why does every skill has the same effect. Can we have a pure fire damage skill without dot like a Explosion. Damage over time should be a separately skill like "Ignite"

6. Lars vonDrachental

Lars vonDrachental Avatar

I think too this works with everything in the same way as I wouldn't see there a reason why there should be differences.

no multiple dots for everyone and everything
    or
    multiple dots for everyone and everything

And I'm not that sure if many would be pleased if our enemies could add multiple dots on us. ;)

Disgruntled likes this.
  7. Tsumo2

Tsumo2 Avatar

Poor fire mages, they are already so under powered.

Ajivani and Disgruntled like this.
  8. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

If they allowed you to stack Blind, for instance, on one mob, you would decimate that mob in no time flat. It would bring the mobs Dex and DA to negative territory if you allow 2 or more players to stack on one mob. Same with stacking DoT spells. If you have one person, such as @GreyMouser doing 11-33/2s then multiply that by 3 people, you would have a massive amount of damage to the mob from one DoT spell. Now imagine having two or three DoT spells on a mob at once. If you start allowing every spell to apply to a mob for every person fighting a mob, it will be very OP.

Normally, if I'm fighting in a group, I find out what DoT/Debuff spells others are using and what level their spells/attunement are at. This way we can have the person who will do the most damage/debuffing using a particular spell. If my blind is lower than someone elses, then I might consider throwing Dazzling Rays on, or Meteor Shower, depending on the mob(s).

Lord Ravnos and Disgruntled like this.
  9. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

Have fun with that! If you have several magi casting several Fire Spells on you, do you really think they are all going to hit you at the same time every time? No, they hit at varying times, which would leave you doing nothing but constantly casting Douse to negate the numerous DoT's being applied to you nearly constantly. Not to mention you still have to heal, and fight the mobs.

Stundorn likes this.
  10. Tetsu Nevara

Tetsu Nevara Avatar

So you mean, when 3 People apply DoTs on someone would be a massive amount of damage from one Skill but when 3 People use Thrust for example it would not?

Again, what would change when several magi casting Stone Arrow on you? Douse will remove a bit from the damage because you remove the DoT plus you get a fire resistance against the next spells guess i would prefer that over direct damage.

Also you cant compare DoT to Debuffs. Debuffs like Blind or Fireflies should not stack in intensity, they should only renew the duration time and the strongest one should overwrite the weak one.
    But this does not count for DoTs because that would make them meaningless. Damage over Time should:
    - always be higher then uncrited direct dmg
    - be able to stack
    - should not crit
    - should always be removable with another skill

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
  11. Tsumo2

Tsumo2 Avatar

Sorcerers have learned that there are qualitative differences among the common fire attacks. Immolation radiates from the caster and its power decreases exponentially with distance from said caster. Fire arrows burn into flesh causing a more localized and internal damage. The ring of fire causes an ambient flame and radiation damage over time. It also promotes transfer of heat and oxygen through increased convection. Lastly, although slow to cast, Fireball can cause a massive very high heat envelopment that can ignite flesh. The additive nature of these spells is an important understanding.

Lord Ravnos likes this.
  12. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

Rapidfire also overwrites rapidfire. We were in the rise mage room which I can solo and our party of two was faring worse as my partners level 80 rapidfire was overwriting my 120.

@Chris

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
    Black Tortoise likes this.
  13. Sea Hunter

Sea Hunter Avatar

Split it up. Each mage takes an arm, leg or head. 5 places to aim for!

Black Tortoise likes this.
  14. Belladonna Rose

Belladonna Rose Bug Hunter

I would assume this works for all skills not just mages. I know it does with archery. Its damage based. Like pulling aggro. If one hits higher aggro switches. I would assume all over skills would override someone elses. I was wondering this with disable shot. If our group is mainly archers everyone is shooting same things at different levels so i assume some hits will be lower on some than others whether its rapid fire or what not. I take this into consideration when we go out hunting. Basically i know what everyone is doing though. As a group we play off each other, call direction and take things down nicely. Sometimes there is a hiccup here and there but we overcome it. Communication in groups is the key regardless of what skills your party members are using.

Sorthious likes this.
  15. redfish

redfish Avatar

Back in R45, I posted this in the Feedback Forum,

Make all buffs/debuffs additive, like stacking them

I wasn't thinking about fire magic, just any buffs/debuffs that are able to power up by charging the glyph. I'm assuming DOT is affected by stacking/charging glyphs? I don't know, I'm not sure, I haven't used fire magic enough.

In any case, the argument there was that if you use the same buff/debuff twice in a row, it would perform the same function as stacking or charging the glyph. I also discussed situations in which two players are casting the same buff/debuff, and it would use the higher skill level as the limit. Or, skill level could always be additive between two players, and create a aggregate limit between them.

If not the case with DOT stuff, the devs could always create a stacking limit, like no more than 2 or no more than 3.

16. Trihugger

Trihugger Avatar

I hadn’t considered stat reducing debuffs so there is that. I agree those don’t need to be stackable.

I’ll phrase it this way: As is, if you have multiple fire mages they are each doing less than 100% of their damage because their DoTs don’t stack. Why is this OK? There is zip zero special about their DoTs stacking with one another as it is simply each player doing full damage. What is the hang up with this? Someone above me mentioned Thrust... I’ll echo this: why is direct damage sacred but DoT’s need this special treatment?

All this does is ensure the sum of any two players using the same DoT effects is less than 1+1 when it really should actually be. Damage is damage. There is nothing special here about it.

Senash Kasigal likes this.
  17. Net

Net Avatar

Try to play as group of healers with no damage dealing skill whatsoever (to maximizee healing buffs)... Firemages have it way too easy as it is.

Ajivani likes this.
  18. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

Iirc, the change that was made to limit stacking of damage over time skills to 3x was made quite a long time ago. I think it was just unlimited before that, which was pretty OP. Maybe a per person limit would make more sense though.

I don't really mind it the way it is now, but I just wish that each DoT would get it's own icon. Its hard enough just to see those tiny little icons, let alone try to mouse over them in combat.

19. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

"So you mean, when 3 People apply DoTs on someone would be a massive amount of damage from one Skill but when 3 People use Thrust for example it would not?"

I'm not a melee player, but I would think that Thrust isn't a DoT Skill, thus it doesn't continue to damage a mob every x seconds. If you have 3 players casting 3 DoT's on a mob, then the same three players using Thrust, while the DoT's are in effect, then yes, it would be a massive amount of damage. By the way, I wasn't trying to compare damage amounts, I was pointing out that if you allow every player to stack on their DoT spell(s) to a mob, it would make the mobs super easy. Not a good idea for gameplay.

"Douse will remove a bit from the damage because you remove the DoT plus you get a fire resistance against the next spells guess i would prefer that over direct damage."

Douse does not remove any damage. It just stops the fire damage that is currently in effect. If you have 5 magi casting Fire DoT's on you, as I said, you will be casting Douse nonstop, while you continue to get direct damage from other spells.

"Also you cant compare DoT to Debuffs. Debuffs like Blind or Fireflies should not stack in intensity, they should only renew the duration time and the strongest one should overwrite the weak one."

I agree that debuffs shouldn't be able to be stacked from multiple players, but I have no objections to having the game not replace strong debuffs with weak ones. But that can be taken care of by talking with your party members, so you don't have one person with a 20 Blind casting it, when you have another player with 90 Blind.

"But this does not count for DoTs because that would make them meaningless. Damage over Time should:
    - always be higher then uncrited direct dmg
    - be able to stack
    - should not crit
    - should always be removable with another skill"

I have spells that hit in excess of 200hps. Are you suggesting that DoT's should do more damage than this per second? I would not play a game where you have 8 players able to stack 3-DoT spells(per person), on a mob. Not to mention whatever direct damage they are doing, and the debuffs they've added. That is a nice way to ruin a game. Not sure what you mean by DoT's 'should aways be removable with another skill'

20. Jimmy Cliff

Jimmy Cliff Avatar

That is just lazy programming. The higher damage/buff/debuff should always take precedence until its duration is expired, then the next highest should take over if it has duration left. I notice the same effect in parties if I use moon beams, which i have in the 90s and stacked, and someone else clicks on theirs.
    I did not follow the logic. Any initial damage from a fire spell should count of course, but any damage over time for being on fire should defer to the strongest fire until its duration runs out, then to the next strongest which still has duration. The only thing I could see that would increase the fire's damage would be introducing more carbon, or more oxygen, not introducing more pyromaniacs.

FrostII likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.