Fishing ideas

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Proteus Tempest, Dec 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Proteus Tempest

Proteus Tempest Avatar

Richard Garriott and his Ultima teams are at fault for creating this addiction in me and while I sat and fished for what seems like forever, I got ideas about what I would like to see in the future for SOTA.

The old timeless classics from UO:

Fish (obviously)

Mundane junk pulled from the waters

Sea Serpents

Sea Serpents with messages in a bottle

Water Elementals

Water Elementals with messages in a bottle

The treasure hunting inland or at sea concerning the messages in a bottle

What I would like to see in the new SOTA:

Fish, of many different varieties (poisonous and non poisonous). Cooking recipes to go along with them.

Seasonal fish and tournaments to catch them. Bass, trout, etc.

Trophy fish! You can't have fishing and homes without trophy fish. You just can't.

Fish eat shiny objects. We know this...so.. Pull in a fish or monster of the deep and while cleaning it we find an object be it magic or mundane.

Mundane junk as always, with much more variety. The junk could be average junk. In some cases the items could be taken to the appropriate crafter and repaired making the items useful or in rare cases could be repaired and then discovered to be magical or lost legendary items. That could be a lot of fun to save up all the daggers, swords, maces, boots, girdles etc, have them repaired in anticipation to see what they really are.

Sea Serpents, Water Elementals and other monsters from the deep like Giant Octopi, Squid, Eel, sharks, etc. and of course the treasure map with a chance to show up on one of them. Sea Monster reeled up from the deep are fun and terrifying. Give a lot of variety with this subject.

Quest starting catches:

Reeling in an item that starts a quest. This requires the player to return the item to the owner or family. The item could be key to a quest or could be the actual key to getting in a dungeon or wherever.

Reeling in a backpack full of stuff from an adventurer. Who know what could be in it. Could be mundane or magical. There could be a journal (quest starter) telling of the adventurers exploits and directions to a secret dungeon, grave, coordinates at sea...etc.

Reeling in a body that can start a quest to return the body to the family or resurrect the body to get a reward or more directions to a quest of some form. I can see a player reeling in a dead body and have it resurrected at which time the recently deceased fanatically continues the quest he/she was on. This long lost person could be someone of story or song that disappeared during a quest only now to be brought back so he/she could continue with the fisherman and friends as allies.

Reeling in a body.. NO WAIT IT’S UNDEAD!! Have to battle the undead on shore or on your boat THEN get the backpack or pouches that might start the quest or you just get some items. The undead in question could be of any level and who knows what they might have gathered during their travels alive or undead.

Reel in a crawling hand and forearm. Not much of a battle but defeat it to get an arm ready to mount as a trophy. How cool is that?! Maybe it has jewelry or a bracer on it maybe not. It could have a bit of sparse flesh and tendons left. Yuck! Maybe leave it in its undead state and have a trophy that moves from time to time. Hover over the trophy with your mouse and it reads “4 lb undead forearm caught by Jozzepi Fisher Grand Master Fisherman”. Then it flinches towards you!

Fishing Quest on a bulletin board.(This is a game tournament not a regular player quest) Someone has lost an item at sea and is giving a reward for its return. This gets lots of players out to fish (and cause lag) for the item or dive for it (if we have the ability to swim underwater).

The same bulletin board quest could be changed whereby a rumor spreads through the lands via the NPC's. Once again this is a one time quest but the mechanics could be used over and over. I.E. You are speaking with a NPC and use the keywords fishing and treasure, lost item or sunken ship and the NPC then volunteers the information or rumor OR you could notice that the NPC's are speaking to one another about the prince, princess, king, queen or a noble that has lost an item at sea or in a lake. Let the competition begin.

2. Proteus Tempest

Proteus Tempest Avatar

3. Beli

Beli Avatar

I hope to have the best fish bait. I will be cultivating earth worm beds which I smuggled from earth.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  4. Proteus Tempest

Proteus Tempest Avatar

I can see it now. Lord Beli's giant fishing worm's. A booth vendor on every pier. I wonder what else we could smuggle from earth?

5. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

I support this thread. I have started threads on fishing too. I hope we will see it in game soon!

-Ice Fishing (as my town theme hopes for)
    -Crafted bait
    -Worm hunting (perhaps gathered from plants in our gardens as well)
    -Message in a bottles
    -Spear Fishing
    -Net Fishing
    -Lure Fishing
    -Fly Fishing

Special Crafting can be created for fishing. The cooking skill could make bait. The armor skill could make hooks and fishing equipment. The carpentry skill could create fishing poles and spears. The tailoring skill could create nets and special fishing lines. The leather skill could create other nets and maybe we could have fishing wearables?

So many things I want to see in fishing!

6. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

fly fishing should be when you have aquired som actual skill at regular fishing first.. or get tangled up in lines and snagged by the fly..and falling into the water due to both of the first two results..

Lord Baldrith and Lord Beli like this.
  7. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

and any npc's around you at the time should laugh when you fall.

8. Gypsy Lou

Gypsy Lou Avatar

Whatever one thinks of the game ArcheAge, that game absolutely nailed sport fishing. My wife and I do it almost exclusively over every other activity. In AA, fishing is not only fun, but extremely profitable. Indeed, many argue that it is the most profitable activity in the game when you consider the cost and the rewards.

But most importantly, it is fun. You don't just stick a pole in the water and wait. You do that, but when you get a bite, the fish reacts as a real fish would, pulling to the left, pulling to the right, jumping out of the water, diving under the boat, heading out to sea. In each case, you are required to take an action in reaction and if you succeed within the five minute window, you catch the fish and are rewarded with a still squirming fish in a pack on your back. You can catch and release, you can stick the fish in your fishing boat tank (which holds up to five fish), or you can leave it on your back and catch up to 9 fish on an outing before coming back to town and selling them to the dedicated fish vendor, who pays you on the spot after weighing them and putting them on display for all to see. It's an exhilarating system and absolutely compelling gameplay.

Please, devs, go deep with fishing. I'm not saying make it like ArcheAge, but please make it as *compelling* as ArcheAge sport fishing.

9. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I love every idea on this thread. I want it all. I can't wait until fishing gets in and not just fishing but all of the above, treasure maps. Fishing up mysteries, creatures, quests, dead bodies etc. It might be cool to have the clean fish option with a "hey you found something" note. Sounds like so much fun.

10. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    I think you need an ONBE Majoria. Just sayin.....you are a positive voice amongst chaos.... :)

majoria70, Lord Baldrith and Tahru like this.
  11. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Ahhh so sweet Ravicus, well my reward would be that we all play this wonderful game with features such as are listed in this thread, can you imagine? That will be amazing.:)

Tahru and Lord Baldrith like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.