Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Flagged for PVP should equal triple experience points.

Discussion in 'Release 22 Feedback' started by Poor game design, Oct 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Curt

Curt Avatar

If they make some PvP tree they can have specific pvp experience you only earn while flagged.

Having pvp giving 3* experience would be a BAD idea

If would feel so wrong if best way to be succesful in PvE would be to do PvP or the reverse.

2. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

I disagree with 3x exp for PvP and let me tell you why. Had to update my response. war hammer online. That game had 3x xp for the PvP arena. Guess what that did to the pve? Pve was dead. The game died because pve died. When there is *ANY* Exp bonus everyone will flock to it causing all low exp areas to be obsolete in the mind of the grinding masses. It didn't work for Warhammer Online, it wouldn't work for any other game.

As for this, it isn't true concerning "dominating", PvE won't ever make you a good or great PvPer, you need to PvP in order to be good at PvP.

As far as leveling in PvE and then later playing PvP, that's a playstyle seen in countless games. I won't be any different in SotA and why should it?

PvP is considered high level content for PvErs that are bored, removing the ability for a high level PvEer from ever PvPing is absurd.

This is a non-issue in my opinion.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
    Beli, Spoon, Sir Cabirus and 3 others like this.
  3. Ship One

Ship One Avatar

PVP is what it is, people either like to engage in it or not. Giving advantages to one play preference over another gives rise to several potential problems. The more a game with primarily PVEers, focuses on PVP, the more it will alienate its main player base.

4. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

What will happen is all those PvPers that no longer need to gain experience will be attacking those lower level players that are attempting to gain their x3 experience. The effect will be less PvPer flagging at low levels and the only people attempting to get the x3 exp will be those that don't realize they are the new sheep.

Beli and Beno Ledoux like this.
  5. Xandra7

Xandra7 Avatar

IF this was a PvP game with just enough PVE in it to attract more players, I would agree. But this is not the case.

All you would create with the triple exp in PvP is guilds that use numbers for protection wiping out everything in their way, they will probably be top dog for many months stagnating the PvP areas since not many would be able to go up against them, causing burn out PvPers complaining about not having enough competition or the wrong kind, with long waits for folk to catch up.

Another way of looking at it, as PvP player ... would you not want PvEers to jump into PvP once they reach a point they feel they want to test it out and not feel they are way over their heads in both pvp know how and levels, it is not like your scared of them, right?

There should be no reason to allow PvPers to dominate the game way before the more diverse crowd.

6. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

Yay for farming lower level obscure areas for better exp then the area a player should be in.

Right after that I'll set up some macros on a gust ball or whatever equivalent.

Can I get 3x skill gain while macroing?

It's all so convoluted for what is essentially the road of letting people buy pre built character templates.

For a guy so annoyed with min maxing I'm surprised you cant see that this idea is nothing but min maxing exp and the following min maxing of macroed skills.

I could actually respect the blatant selling of pre-built templates over having people gaming the system everywhere you look.

4EverLost likes this.
  7. Edward Newgate

Edward Newgate Avatar

PvP in a game is for me allways the end game. After beating a game you show your skills against real opponents.
    I never was a fan from split up pve and pvp like in wow.

And i dont think you should get something cous you flagged your self for pvp.
    Flagging you for pvp means you want an extra challange.

Sir Cabirus, Flientje and 4EverLost like this.
  8. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    I believe in SotA, pvp should progress naturally along with your character. You should be roleplaying the reasons why you would pvp in the first place. I know "no one cares about rp pvp, lets just kill for the sake of it". In my perfect world, in which I am finding it difficult now days, is that players should meet other players they do not like in game (in character) and then if necessary wage war. We should not get extra exp for just wanting to rush through and bypass the whole Role Playing Game. We should enjoy the journey, not a rush to the end and be bored and move along in 3 months.

9. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Actually, the more PvE there is the more people will want to flag PvP for the x3 exp. Even when they don't want to PvP.

4EverLost likes this.
  10. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

Flagging for PvP was supposed to be its own reward, wasn't it? I see the logic behind this, but all this would accomplish is everyone (including those who have no interest whatsoever) feeling obligated to flag for PvP so they can get said xp bonus, and then go on with their lives, hence "forcing" those who have no interest in PvP to flag for it. Yes, I know no one is twisting their arms, and xp gain isn't a race between PvE and PvP, but the argument will be made.

The only way I can see to accomplish this without giving the SIGNIFICANT and TANGIBLE advantage of tripling xp for those flagged, is to provide level-bracketed content that can only be accessed by those at a particular xp point total range.

Which, of course, brings up the "PvP is its own reward" argument again...

4EverLost likes this.
  11. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

I would like to add that pvp is endgame content. I see no reason to change that.
    And i see no reason to pvp if I am not at the peak of my skills.

12. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

I don't mind any of the suggestions.........

But before suggestions like that.....I would say PvP needs to be fixed/balanced and actually made fun.

Currently combat feels so messy and unbalanced I can't even bring myself to even consider engaging in combat..........so much is my concern that i'm actually thinking about changing my towns to non-pvp simply because I can't think of anyone who would seriously want to engage in PvP let alone live in an area where it's permanent.

I want to see skills completely opened up for the remaining Alpha/Beta so people can actually manually set the skills (obviously within a common limit) so things can be tested properly. As things stand I have absolutely no enthusiasm for PvP in the slightest............the skills system is good.....the loot system is 'OK'.............the balance feels awful and imho has got worse (that includes PvM).

13. Xandra7

Xandra7 Avatar

I would see it as having a nice PvE world for players, with the purpose of creating targets for PvP. Triple or double exp for PVP flagged should not be in the works.

cobran, Beno Ledoux and Kvow like this.
  14. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

Well, again I dis-agree... Rewarding PvPers with special perks is NOT a solution for self flagging... PvE is only training a chr, and if someone wants to do it in SPO, they should be able too... This so called PvP mentality of forcing ppl to do what they want, is really idiotic... My question to then is: What are they afraid of?

I find it insulting and stupid when someone says "I'm standing around for hours" and then in the same sentence "killing stuff"... How is that "standing around"? It's no wonder no one wants to PvP....

FrostII likes this.
  15. Ashlynn [Pax]

Ashlynn [Pax] Avatar

This idea still wouldn't make anyone PvP who didn't want to but it would be amazingly effective at spawning angry and frustrated posts on the forums.

Jaxtron, Vaentorian, Beli and 2 others like this.
  16. Zap

Zap Avatar

I'm quoting myself. :p Sorry, but I was really hoping to get some feedback and everyone seems to be focusing on the highly whacked out number of 3x experience (which, in my opinion, would still be whacked out at 1.2x).

But this is for all the people talking about "bracketed" PvP. Brackets, or arbitrary dividers, remove the immersion factor.

I'm actually interested: what do people think of my idea?

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  17. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

It sounded quite interesting to me, but I've no experience as a PVPer, so I'm not qualified to voice an opinion. I just want you to know that your idea has been read :)

18. Zap

Zap Avatar

If I could give virtue points, I'd make it rain on you with compassion.

And thank you! :D I really like the idea of making PvP immersive. I think part of the problem with PvP right now is that it misses the point. To me, PvP isn't about griefing, Halo-esque teabagging, and stealing items. I'm bad at PvP personally. PvP just adds a whole extra layer of immersion for me. Making PvP "end game content" or tiered makes me see the machine of the game rather than the world we get to experience. I think the less we see the machine behind the game, the more we'll be able to sink into being our avatar selves. Any idea that integrates game components, rather than separating them (and the players with them), improves my experience. I think many players agree with my sentiment, if not my idea.

Kara Brae likes this.
  19. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Anyone say Siege perilous ? its what everybody wants but something tells me you guys haven't heard about it :p

20. Gamician

Gamician Avatar

What brought on the end of UO is exactly the types of things that keep being asked for. Dangling Carrots in front of Players, More Experience if you just flag PvP. More of this or that if you just come into a PvP area. Make it so you can only get this or that in a PvP area. And that was the start of the end for UO. Yes, if this game begins to go that way then I will be gone. I do not want to be forced or coerced into a playing style I want no part of. If I choose to take part in PvP it will be because I have an interest in it, not because the game is going to give me more of this or that. If PvP cannot survive strictly on the basis of the competition between players then there seems to be something wrong with the mindset of the PvPers not PvE. If a Player goes into PvP and then leaves because he/she is always being defeated because their skills are not high enough, that is the problem of those who are constantly defeating less skilled players. Community would mean you help those less skilled players to increase their skills and share ways they can help them become better at PvP. If you do not want to put in that effort then do not ask me to sacrifice in PvE,

All giving those who highlight PvP a 3xp advantage over PvE is to get someone up much faster to higher levels. Again UO was ruined by the 3 day GM. Now they want it in this game. And then when they have reached GM in a week, played the game for 6 months, then off they go to play another game.

I just hope someday some DEV is going to start considering the 80% - 90% of the players who do not wish to PvP. That they consider combat for the PvE player perspective and stop spending all their time listening to small vocal number of players who cannot help posting dozens of times on the same thread thinking that is the way to get attention. And apparently it is working.

I had a lot of faith in the game from the beginning, spent a lot of money but it seems that the direction promised in the beginning has now changed. Maybe someday someone will design a game that is similar to UO and SOTA but pays attention to the majority instead of a small vocal minority. Those of us who do not have 24/7 to play but who want a game that is going to last for years and take years to grow in the game. To be challenged each and every month with new content and new experiences for the players. Not a game where they spend so much time on trying to please a minority of players they totally lose track of who is actually playing the game.

Do not get me wrong, I'm not against PvP. I realize there are many who enjoy the completion between players. My objection is when rules, timers and rewards are changed or put in to give an advantage to PvP and as a result end up hindering PvE play.

Why is it that when it comes to some things people want in the game they have to wait until next release or they become a stretch goal. But when it comes to PvP there is all kinds of time to add Full Loot PvP zones and constantly change PvP combat? I guess it is OK to put those costs on the backs of PvE players.

Varinka, Jaxtron, Beli and 10 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.