Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Focus cost has increased

Discussion in 'Release 31 Feedback Forum' started by Vaclav, Jul 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

There are now crafted helms that offers an increased focus regen.. maybe this is the intention of these higher focus costs? I think something bigger is at work.. :)

Dariog likes this.
  2. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

I think it can be misleading to say all skills focus cost is too high. Lightning still only cost 8 focus at lvl 1 and chain lightning still only costs 6. While crushing blow costs 12 at level 1

Golem Dragon likes this.
  3. Golem Dragon

Golem Dragon Avatar

It is like I have continued to say and discuss, it is simply bad focus management by some people who only want to do combat a certain way. The limited view and mindset some people have will forever have them hating free attack and focus costs. I find them to be at a suitable level at the moment and some in fact I think should be increased even more. plus obviously as you improve skills and they become more powerful it should cost more, plus your pool grows too. Having to think and manage stuff during combat is just too hard for some gamers.

Celthon and Fister Magee like this.
  4. agra

agra Avatar

That would be the first glyph, innate or item in the entire game to affect focus regen. Up until this moment, there was no way to increase focus regen at all.
    What are the crafted helms that do this?

5. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

Yes, and I'm sure, lots more to come. It is a crafted augmented leather helm, masterworked or something (I'm not the crafter, just the happy owner, unsure of the terminalogy), it is part of the new masterwork skills effects or procs (level 50 required I believe). It says +30 Focus Regen.. and it makes a difference.

6. agra

agra Avatar

Given the most i've seen is 6 per tick, I wonder what the +30 means... +30% per tick, or what?
    Thanks for the info, it's a shame they didn't put this in the patch notes, it would have been quite exciting to see such a powerful change.

Fister Magee likes this.
  7. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

8. agra

agra Avatar

Ah. It's a shame that's all random. :( Would be a great system without the gambling.

9. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

I would have to look closely, and I'm at work now, but I bet it's an extra 30 focus per tick, its definitely nice!

Maybe, but think of all the crafting needed, the dedicated crafters will be rewarded! So much equipment to buy for us consumers, never need to repair stuff! :D Lots of good that this will actually provide, the very rare good (and expensive?) pieces of equipment ;) It is just the sort of thing the crafting system needed to ensure a future imho.

10. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Theres a glyph that increases focus regen, but its so widely unused because of the drawbacks that it falls inro obscurity. I try to call for it to be made more desireable every now and then bit for the most part its very rarely noted by players that it even exists

11. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

It might be worth the effort to make a build that attempts to counteract the 75% fizzle penalty passive stance offers just to see if its worth it or even if it can be done.

Or better yet, make it similar to Dig In in that it makes focus regen very rapid but you must remain still and cant use skills until you move, and moving automatically cancels the regen.

Or make it a moon magic Aura, cuz god knows moon magic is lacking as hell

Last edited: Jul 11, 2016
    Fister Magee and helomech like this.
  12. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

I regularly use Passive Stance.. but it is not a skill to use all the time. Or with just any build.

13. agra

agra Avatar

Ah yes, passive stance. I forgot about that, mostly because you can't use it out of combat, which is what I was thinking of for focus regen.
    If that focus regen on the hat work IN-COMBAT as wel? Wow, that's going to be nerfed so hard... :)

Fister Magee likes this.
  14. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

It works in combat, but with the drain of the increased glyph cost, it's not that OP, but everything good is nerfed, as we all know :) I really miss using Root on all the bosses heheh ;)

15. Attenwood

Attenwood Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

This thread has appeared to veer toward Feedback. Moving to the appropriate forum lest it languish in my land of bugs.

Moonshadow likes this.
  16. Gix

Gix Avatar

I swing my sword more often that I use skills. Everybody has to deal with Focus and increased cost has the side effect of making some of the passive skills more appealing.

Why wouldn't you want to use your weapon? Most blades can hit 2 targets per swing.

17. Dariog

Dariog Avatar

The thread on this topic in the Bug Forum was closed. Does this mean that the increased focus cost is intentional; working as intended? If so, fine, we can deal with it. But it would be nice to know.

18. agra

agra Avatar

This requires clarification. Right now, focus costs are increasing with skill. Increasing your focus pool does nothing under these conditions. Your focus pool goes up? So does focus skill cost. Net progress? Zero.
    This has not been mentioned as a design goal on social media, a hangout, patch notes, daily stand-up updates, dev posts, interviews or any other means of developer communication.

From R29 to R31, focus costs changed from a fixed cost to a percentage.

THIS IS A MASSIVE, NEGATIVE CHANGE.

It affects every player in the game, and it was not mentioned anywhere, feedback was not requested, we weren't asked to test it, we weren't asked an opinion, we were not informed. Not even a 30 second "we're changing this, please tell us what you think".

Changing focus costs to percentages instead of fixed values, when every other finite resource pool is fixed, is a path doomed to failure. It's a terrible broken design, and will never work properly until all other aspects of the game are also changed to percentage gains, which they are not and likely never will be.
    If working as intended, this is yet another poorly thought out, knee-jerk, off-the-cuff punitive change that does not increase fun, nor will increase the target demographic.

I've seen games try this in the past, and it always goes very very badly. You can't make these changes in isolation from adjusting the entire rest of the game mechanics at the same time. All the gear, all the glyphs, innates, content, balancing, if it's all done on fixed values, and then you change to percentages, all that data is null & void, and you have to rework all those systems! :mad: Not impressed!

Moonshadow, cartodude, Aldo and 5 others like this.
  19. Dariog

Dariog Avatar

Well said, agra. I completely agree.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  20. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

I would expect it is intentional - there is a similar mechanic in numerous games I have played. You can kill monsters faster, but at increased focus cost per usage. One must balance damage done with focus use.

Just one example would be D3 where you must manage your casting resource (whether it is spirit or mana or whatever) - if you "spam spells" you can run out.

There is a limiting factor if you put all your points/equipment into enhanced damage then you can do a whole lot of damage but you will quickly run out of focus.

Casting conflagaration may do a lot of damage at once for a huge focus cost and kill your opponent, even though a lesser firebolt could be cast 100 times for less focus and far more damage - it just can't do the damage as quickly.

--------------------

I'm not saying that it is correctly balanced necessarily, and sitting on auto-attack while waiting for focus so you can "do" something is boring, but are you sitting at zero focus because you could have managed it better with focus enchantments and more judicious use of spells - or are you at zero focus because it still needs some tweaking?

FYI: They have said further combat balance is coming in Q3, I expect even R32 to be quite adjusted though not sure if that will include focus management.

Fister Magee likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.