Forced duplicate last names and reputation per account.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Grave Dragon, Oct 12, 2015.

?

Should Portalarium force last names and Reputation across all characters on an account?

1. No, I want each character responsible for his/her own actions and uniquely identifyable.

2. Yes, A Player's actions specific NPC interaction and all toon last names should be the same.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grave Dragon

Grave Dragon Avatar

Id like to be able to enjoy my pledge rewards on multiple toons on my main account without having to share them out to 2-3 accounts if that is the number of characters I want to roleplay with a different reputation/virtue. This is in my opinion a must have considering the pledge level most people put in EARLY in the games development as it is industry standard for the classic mmo genre.

FrostII and Lord Baldrith like this.
  2. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

This is not a standard classic mmo. We will have many features of the classic mmos just not this one.

3. Grave Dragon

Grave Dragon Avatar

This is an RPG, Role Playing Game (online certainly and the MM is yet unforeseen) but what you're describing and what the devs are considering is NOT roleplaying when you dont have the freedom to voluntarily designate personalities and control reputation with each individual character.

FrostII and Lord Baldrith like this.
  4. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    Ya, I too have been here from very early on. I remember when it was just one player per account and I fought to keep it that way. In my opinion it should have never morphed into additional characters. Richards vision was one character per account and I agree with him on that.

5. syxs

syxs Avatar

Virtues will be gamed via the single player offline mode and then people will know how to interact with the online world to min/max them. So people who say this is so you have to live with your choices are wrong unless even if you delete all your characters your virtues or interactions with NPC stays in which case that is completely going to change the way I play cause why play online when I can play offline and backup my saves if I mess up? This is why each character should be an island except for PVP as PVP isn't part of your interactions with the worlds NPC or story. As Grave said I don't want to have to have to share my rewards via logging into my main and giving rights to my alt accounts. Also then I would have to pay $45 more per alt account for ep 1 then pay for ep 2, 3, 4 and 5 and whatever other eps they add.

6. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Well nothing I can say will make this better for you. So continue on debating it, I just don't agree that taking this premise from the game will serve other than to make the game wishy washy. It is a principle, I think once you have made all your points and gotten them out of your system then you can move on from this subject. I just feel that way.:)

7. Numa

Numa Avatar

if this ever happens I would like 2 combat pets to replace my 2nd and 3rd character slots please :)

8. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Side Note: I would like to replace my non-combat pets with paper weights, they have more functionality.

galdrmadhr and Aldo like this.
  9. Numa

Numa Avatar

The linked alt character system simplifies things for guilds too - whether they are PvP or not. It makes getting around or breaking guild rules using alts that much more difficult. I could be wrong but this seems to be a reaction by RG and the devs to the many abuses in UO.

There are actually very few true role players, they're definitely way outnumbered by people using alts to get around the system.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
    Duke Gréagóir likes this.
  10. Grave Dragon

Grave Dragon Avatar

So what you're saying is that its not worth defending a playstyle because the team designing the game is making an oversight?

I cant agree.

This is why we have single player online.
    This is why we have Pvp Flags and open Pvp zones.
    This is why we have an entire risk vs reward system.
    This is why we have taming as a skill.
    This is why we have a classless skill system.
    This is why PVE POTS can ban and Pvp POTS cant ban.

Should I go on? All of those are features added to enhance a groups preferred playstyle, yet forcing reputation and last names inhibits another playstyle.

The Roleplaying community is huge and just as viable as any other, and to force reputation and last names across an account takes away our ability to create and enjoy unique RP variables on a character to character basis.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
    Sophi, FrostII, syxs and 1 other person like this.
  11. Grave Dragon

Grave Dragon Avatar

Combinding reputation and last names is not the answer for any of your concerns. List all the characters on an account in a journal within the paper doll. Create a website with a database that links same account characters. THAT is how you combat those issues.

12. Ship One

Ship One Avatar

Well look at it this way, Same last name/Surname different Characters/First names/Gender. When someone of a Family becomes a Politician/Important person or a hardened criminal, it affects their families to some degree. In small towns I suspect it affects a family more than a larger city. I.E. Rep carry-over makes alot of sense. For PVP tomfoolery you'd most likely recognize the last name. And that last name would carry with it a stigma, usually deserved. Not seeing a downside to this perspective. For the introduction of Elves and other races, a mixed family would be indicated. Alot of this has to do with the addition of owned property, POTs and the like. I can see alot of douche-baggery being played if people were able to make an entirely anonymous character from the same account that owned a POT. Unwarranted evictions, all kinds of BS can come from this. A specific last name sticks with a specific account that can be tracked back to by the devs/mods. Give someone an opportunity to be an asshat and you'll see it happen. This makes sense on alot of levels. If you want to play a completely different Character than you can have more than one account. It makes no sense at all for a 'completely different' character to be living in or owning the SAME property as a DIFFERENT character.

Edit: in games where property does not exist, same account and completely different characters make sense. However in SotA, I have never made a Second character and I do not know what their specific Property status is or how their ownership is applied.

Duke Gréagóir, Acred and Numa like this.
  13. Grave Dragon

Grave Dragon Avatar

You're assuming I want my roleplay to include all my toons within the same family, or for that matter of the same race. (Elves are coming). What if the two characters have no concept of each others existence?

MOST RPGs acknowledged this possibility and SotA should too.

Sophi, FrostII, syxs and 1 other person like this.
  14. syxs

syxs Avatar

But this is what people are forgetting about the last name issue, ITS NOT REQUIRED, sorry for caps but we need a system outside of last names, why I suggested earlier on "House" or "Family" names as this wouldn't be displayed in the name except via paperdoll or other in game tool to look up another player. This is great for role players too cause then you can have a servant with a different last name. Then all banks would be in the "Family"/"House" name. If a jerk in PVP wants to jump you with his alts he just doesn't use a last name and you have no clue as to who that person is or if they are the same person. Also what happens if I want to role play getting married then last names of all the person who I'm married to have the same last names as we decided ahead of time to do that now if they go evil I might be blamed. Shared last names are a bad thing unless they are required and unique but then you get crazy last names.

Grave GodsHammer likes this.
  15. Ship One

Ship One Avatar

You are completely missing the problem with account wide owned property. Until you address and solve that, your entire argument, which I understand, is null.

16. Grave Dragon

Grave Dragon Avatar

The governors name is listed below your compass when you enter the POT and he is responsible for who he allows to evict, so either way accountability is retained in the governor.

You're mistaken if you think the devs cant track an account based on unique character names.

syxs likes this.
  17. Ashlynn [Pax]

Ashlynn [Pax] Avatar

The elephant in the room for those advocating shared reputations, one character only, and same last name is that there already exists a simple and easily accessible workaround - a second account.

Acred and Grave GodsHammer like this.
  18. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

According to Richard's vision, if you are roleplaying that your alts do not know of each other, then you are roleplaying that you have multiple personality disorder. They *are* the same person.

Sorry you don't agree with his vision, but frankly Richard's vision trumps the desire to freeform roleplay any way you see fit. If you want that, you certainly can. Other players will not hold it against you. However, if you do it on your single account, all of your characters will be affected. If you don't like that, buy another account.

I'm glad you are passionate about roleplaying. But roleplaying needs guidelines, and one of the guidelines in SotA is that an account is a single soul.

Uncle Sven, Duke Gréagóir and Acred like this.
  19. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Well I do understand where you are coming from in this, I really do. I did not make the decision to do this. It is not 'me' that made this. This is typical RG who wants to throw a curve in our way on the game. Taking that from him is, while it may be convenient for many reasons, I feel it goes deeper than that for him. So I cannot debate this with you and I don't think it should be taken away from him just to give us a typical MMO. There is an RG personality behind this. So this is not I am right you are wrong argument, it is something RG feels strongly about.:)

cartodude and Acred like this.
  20. Rampage202

Rampage202 Avatar

I'm also not sure how the dev's will be tracking our virtues, but single player considerations aren't necessary; if you're playing Online then you're playing with the entire community, it doesn't matter if you can't see them because you always have the option to go multiplayer.

Offline I assume the architecture of the game will be a little different and rather than 'character slots' you would just have conventional saving, meaning the shared aspect of reputation would never come into effect in the first place, and you could roll as many toons as you'd like.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.