Game crashed an Pc restart. Need Help

Discussion in 'Hardware, Software, Tech' started by Thorben, Sep 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thorben

Thorben Avatar

The last 10 days my game ingame crashed in all possible positions and the computer restart.
    Have already tried various graphics settings, but still happens all the time.
    It crashed in a Playerstadt, on Novia and in an NPC city.
    Previously it went perfectly for weeks.
    My PC data
    Graphics card NVIDIA GeForce GTX980
    Processor AMD FX-8370 8Core
    RAM 16GB
    Mainboard Asus Crosshair V Formular Z
    Win10 prof
    The drivers are up to date.
    Does anyone have a similar problem and can help me that it runs again stable?
    Sorry for the worst english, my school english is 20 years before.
    Thanks for help

Moiseyev Trueden and FrostII like this.
  2. Senash Kasigal

Senash Kasigal Avatar

Cant help you, but i have the same prob since this release.
    So far 3 times. All crashes in the Psilocybin Lair.
    And the 4. restart crash in Psilocybin Lair. :mad:
    Will write a Bug Report now about this Crash Lair.

Moiseyev Trueden and FrostII like this.
  3. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

3devious and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  4. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

I have a friend who has about as top level system as you can get (dual 1080's for video) and his system has been randomly crashing of late.
    I will put him on to this thread..........

5. Senash Kasigal

Senash Kasigal Avatar

My Bug Report

Details: Crash with PC Restart after a short playtime in Psilocybin Lair. Even after a fresh PC and Client start. So far 4 crashes. I can Play hours in other Scenes. No crash outside the Psilocybin Lair.

6. Luca Xante

Luca Xante Avatar

I have had same problems for weeks now. I purchased new laptop, everything went well for couple of weeks but then problems started. Usually my laptop restarts itself after 2-5 minutes of gaming (so it is not about heat), usually only once and then I can play without problems for hours. Two times My laptop has restarted itself (First time I was in Vauban pass and other time City size basement Adultima) continuously and at first time it helped when I put my graphic settings to fastest...

Before laptop restarts my game freezes, screen turns white (sometimes but rarely white/yellow bars which are flashing), teamspeak works couple of seconds after that so I can inform my friends that I am crashing.

I suspect that it is something related to SotA and my craphic card, if I am not wrong, many has had such problems....

With my 6 years old computer I never had such a problems....

My laptop is:
    MSI GT73VR 6RE Titan

Windows 10 Home 64-bit
    Display: 17,3" Anti-Glare, 1920 x 1080, 120 Hz
    Prosessor: Intel Core i7-6820HK, 2.60 - 3.70GHz, 8MB, Quad-Core
    Memory: 16GB DDR4
    Craphic card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070, 8GB GDD5
    2 x 128GB SSD + 1TB HDD

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
  7. Traveller13

Traveller13 Bug Hunter

Check memory usage. I had two crashes yesterday. No crash reports generated. I'm in game now and show 7GB in use by SotA.

Now it is 8.1GB. Memory leak?

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
  8. Luca Xante

Luca Xante Avatar

I did add my "story"on that same bug report after yours.

9. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

It's been leaking for years, that would be nothing new. We are only now reaching the point where they are going to start working on leaks.

It would be hard for the game to crash the whole computer without some other hardware problem like bad RAM*, so it may be doing something bad to the video drivers. Make sure you're running recent drivers for your card.
    *sometimes you have to remove the memory, polish the contacts a bit with a pencil eraser, carefully dust them off, do not breathe on it!, then firmly reinstall

It is also not impossible for graphics to get crashed to the point where you can't use the computer. I upgraded my main OS X laptop from 10.6 to 10.9 a few years ago when a new version of Minecraft was messing up the GPU. I don't know if this kind of thing happens with Windows, though.

Moiseyev Trueden and Katu like this.
  10. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

I've had problems with memory consumption for a while now, but this release is the worst. Out of 14.7gigs avail at game-start I have gotten down to 1.9gigs free in less than an hour. When this happens the hitching and lag get really bad and has locked up my computer a couple times, forcing me to do a hard-reset. I also have 8gigs GPU memory on an RX480.

11. Traveller13

Traveller13 Bug Hunter

They fixed some leaks about six months ago. I had been running in the 3-6GB territory. This started out at 7GB for me today, then jumped up a GB in short order. Something changed this release, or late last release, come to think of it. I suffered a crash or two then, as well.

12. Katu

Katu Avatar

As Elwyn said, its very rare for software to actually manage crash the entire pc. It can happen, but I would guess for faulty RAM, faulty motherboard (thus failing to detect cpu overheat) or any other hardware piece.

I would suggest to run some of the popular benchmark softwares, like future mark or furmark and see if the crash happens, to either eliminate software error or isolate it as sota problem.

13. neveser

neveser Avatar

You could always try a fresh install. Remove SotA entirely and redownload it.
    I've had a crash when I exit the game everytime for as long as I remember. If I log out and let the counter do it's thing, it crashes right when it attempts to log off. What I always do when I log off is I select log off now and then go to the task manager and kill SotA. Kills it clean everytime.

Cordelayne, Elwyn and 3devious like this.
  14. 3devious

3devious Avatar

This happened to me during one of the windows updates last year. I had to roll back to the previous update and not even bother trying to run the game until the next update was released. The problem went away when Microsoft released another update. I run the preiew builds of windows on the fast update ring so I am used to weird things happening.
    I used to have a computer that I could always fall back on when I needed things to be rock solid stable but all of the bad karma I built up over the years has been inflicted on it so I am trying to make things work with the Surface Pro. I used to have to crash computer on exit problem but the latest developer preview hasn't been doing that to me.

15. neveser

neveser Avatar

Have you gotten it to work at all on a Surface Pro? I don't think it's possible. The Surface doesn't have the graphical horsepower to run this thing at a decent framerate.

16. 3devious

3devious Avatar

This is all I have. The kept pitching the Iris graphics as revolutionary (ha!) I am getting between 12 and 44 fps in Rifts End. Our town is a pretty good test of your hardware. We had a bunch of people on the game's anniversary and when we packed the zone I was getting seconds per frame. The i7 and 16 gigs of RAM are doing all of the work. I was getting the green screen on the Surface Pro 3 which was similar in performance with a 2.5 year old i7 and half the RAM. I didn't mind doing this when I had a nice desktop with 64 gigs of RAM and the top of the line nVidia card from 3 years ago. We've got a nice IBUYPOWER system on its way for my husband. It showed up a few weeks ago but the horrible karma I stored up caused it to suffer a terrible accident and we're waiting for a replacement. Depending on how well they come through for him I'll get another one for myself. It's good enough for harvesting and crafting but it's rough for some of the dungeons and events.

Cordelayne likes this.
  17. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

+1

After the last update the game wouldn't start at all and crashed immediately. I had to manually delete every folder and reinstall but now it works fine!

3devious likes this.
  18. Luca Xante

Luca Xante Avatar

Actually I had restarts during Heaven Benchmark 4.0 too but also similar: just after I had opened Computer. So in my case whole problem propably is not from SotA. I need to continue searching the reason for this...

19. monkeysmack

monkeysmack Avatar

Random restarting means that the RAM is bad, the computer is overheating, or there is a power fluctuation cause by (unseated components, bad PSU, mobo component failure). It should be returned to whoever sold it to you to be repaired. You should also ask them why they didnt do a "burn-in" test before shipping it to you. A burn-in test would have caught this problem. Running SotA is just exacerbating the problem by putting the system under heavy load.

20. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Try changing video to Fastest and see if that helps. If it's like my old restart issue, it's because the power supply inst giving enough to the video cards under load, even tho it was rated high enough. I had to replace the power supply, but until I did Fastest would give me longer playtime before it crashed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.