Game not ready for release

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Gramps, May 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gix

Gix Avatar

Three years ago was when they started to dig the site for the foundation.

And the targeting change is akin to tearing down those temporary wooden frames that hold up the concrete while it dries... the building is still holding up but they're about to apply the plaster to make it nicer.

2. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

I think that since The Devs have a nice counter to persistance day on the front page, that it is time to consider it as a release date.. much to the dismay of my opinion! Ah well, but the devs should begin marketing that, or is that what the timer technically is?

Time Lord likes this.
  3. warxnox

warxnox Avatar

We have to consider everything on the SotA mainpage as a marketing act, as it's what a commercial website is designed to be.

So yes, Final Wipe is a launch.

4. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

Well, the devs keep saying it is not a release date, who to believe?? So there is that... and that is THE PROBLEM. Devs.. please come clear it up properly.......... :)

Time Lord and Sir_Hemlock like this.
  5. himmelweiss

himmelweiss Avatar

Final Wipe is not the official release date but to me it still means "launch", "the real thing", "now you can actually play" and so on...

But it makes me still sad that the game is still far away from being polished, fixed and ready.

6. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

I am well aware of what that means to you.. and some others. Pointing out that everytime against the facts, is kind of strange. I'm merely stating what the devs have stated in their posts. I know the game is far from polished.. :) that's why I also say it is not complete, and NO release date has been said. :) Just because they let us play here doesn't mean the game is ready.

Asclepius, Time Lord and himmelweiss like this.
  7. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

Maybe they like us 'passionate' hehe and wanna fan the flames within us :) Even bad publicity is good! I guess...?

Time Lord likes this.
  8. Leostemplar

Leostemplar Avatar

Not just for you, friend.

It does mean " 'launch', 'the real thing', 'now you can actually play' and so on..." to any player who haven't been here the whole time, to some who have (like me) and to anyone doing a review about our game. It doesn't matter if this game was made to be Ultima Online 2, Ultima X, Tabula Rasa 2, TESVI: Skyrim 2, Second Life² or the next PacMan. The OP is right in my opinion. The game is not ready and will not be ready by the end of July. But I can assure you it will be reviewed and commented as if it was. "Oh, but our game doesn't have share the same cycle of development..." Of course it doesn't! But there is an undeniable kick start to any online game, and it is called Final Wipe. And ours will happen before DEVs have the time to polish, fix and implement core features of the game (Combat is clumsy, many scenes are clones, I won't even start talking about the NPCs, the main storyline is not even close to be ready... and so on).

The community is great, yes! Will it hold the game until it is ready? Or will this broken launch hurt us beyond repair? I can only hope for the best.

Peace,
    Leos.

9. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

If this game is ready after its official release in December, I'll be the first to join all the haters that exist right now. Although I will give them the customary 2-3 month initial release problems that all games have (as players increase 10 fold). So if we still have major problems with the game by March 2017 Im with them.

But until them, I am going to work *WITH* the dev's in a constructive manor with things like bug reports to help them the best I can make it successful which is a lot better then just complaining.

Last edited: May 19, 2016
  10. Xandra7

Xandra7 Avatar

For the official launch, has there been any mention of opening a second server? This would make sense giving folk the option of starting on an established server or fresh start on the other.

Stahlknecht and Time Lord like this.
  11. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

While I always agreed that "persistence = launch" in the warped minds of mainstream drones, I dare to remember that three years ago Portalarium was barely out of Kickstarter.

You know, I'm all for hyperbole, but from time to time even *I* love to return down to earth and chuckle at the idea of walls being built BEFORE the development started...

12. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

IMO when UO launched it wasn't even close to done. Also IMO due to the "sandbox" -fanboys- (using that term just because it seems to be the thing to do these days) shouted down any attempt the devs of UO made to reach their target design for UO.

13. Barid6480

Barid6480 Avatar

I hate to say it, but I agree rather strongly with OP on many points, as little as I want to. I'm perfectly capable of scaling my expectations when I play a game, and knowing things are still early I've done such with SotA. Even scaled back though, things feel far too clunky for this much time spent and I can't see them improving enough to be ready any time soon. I played several hours about a year ago and got a taste of things, then left it alone. Recently tried playing some more and it actually was worse off. More random crashes, more bugs, slower, etc. There was a bit more art content but stability wise (the most important aspect), it had slipped backwards.

And while people jumped OP a bit for comparing to UO, the fact is this WAS mentioned as something of a spiritual successor, but truth is nothing about it feels even all that similar. That's not to say this game can't be enjoyable in it's own right, but even mentioning Ultima Online anywhere near this game when it was first put out there was a mistake.

I admit that I've been very much out of the loop with focusing on the development of this game, I'm patient and I know it's best for me to stay out of the fray since I'm in no way involved. But I can't help but get a sense that this game is suffering from a seriously disjointed development process. I've read most of the updates as they come and it always gives me a feeling of things skipping around a bit. And so many issues going without being fixed illustrates that as well. Not to mention a number of features and systems going in to the game only to be completely trashed and reworked a time or two.

I'm not a dev for this game so I won't pretend to be and try to tell anyone how to do their job here. But there are a number of disappointing elements that I strongly hope are able to be overcome. And don't be angry with those (myself included now) of us who wish to express these feelings sometimes. It may not really help, but sometimes venting a bit is called for. Nobody can pretend that things are going as smooth as they can and disappointments are bound to happen. Everyone has an opinion with a right to share it. ;)

14. Sir_Hemlock

Sir_Hemlock Avatar

Whilst persistence is not Porty's officially announced launch date, remember that referring to others as 'warped' or 'drones' is not helpful- especially considering the recent debacle on the Steam forums of which you were a participant.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/326160/discussions/0/364040961438488717/

Last edited: May 19, 2016
    Time Lord likes this.
  15. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

Kara Brae and Time Lord like this.
  16. warxnox

warxnox Avatar

As far as I know (I asked the question many times about a european second server), there will never be any other server for this game.

Xandra7 and Time Lord like this.
  17. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

Who should play on that server? Sotas community is really really small. Check the forum activity and people online right now. UO Forever have more people active in the forums than SOTA currently. ;)

Games like BDO e.g. are around 8k people online in the forums all the time. I don't know with what figures they calculated but right now Id say the game wouldn't survive with the current community and following. I feel its empty when I play... not a good feeling tbh :(

18. Mystic

Mystic Avatar

Guys, stop with the insults and bickering, please. Keep to the rules. Had to clean up a few posts.

vallo and Time Lord like this.
  19. warxnox

warxnox Avatar

I still have hope that the game will suceed, with some small and other major adjustments.

Having a european based server could also attract new players from Europe who have performance/lag issues with the US based server now.

Time Lord likes this.
  20. Sir_Hemlock

Sir_Hemlock Avatar

The game has a good chance, after a good wash & polish. The state of combat is concerning. Still lots of interest, though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.