Game not ready for release

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Gramps, May 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

~Ready For Launch vs Not Actual Launch~o_O

These are things that seem a matter of perspective and a bit words splitting of hairs...

While some may say, "it's not ready for launch", let me just say that from my viewpoint, "I just don't care, because I'm ready for launch!"
    It's up to Portalarium's own decisions as to whatever they wish to say our game's current state is in. I've been playing and testing this game long enough only to care about saving whatever I will build within my future.
    Whatever our game's features are or are not ready yet, "I still don't care", because I enjoy what I've been doing here and I'll no doubt be enjoying whatever is to come.
    Do some things need fixing and more polished, "sure they do", yet that continuing proses will always be even more enjoyable because I was either able to find it, or having avoided it.

Our SOTA Game is a dangerous world, where a glitch or some skill's problems, or even gaming features I disagree with will always be out there waiting for my further challenge to deal with... "and that life"... it's not the end of the world it's only a beginning with far more challenging obstacles than there will be in our game's future. Am I playing other games, or am I looking at other games, hell yes I am because I'm a gamer, but that doesn't phase my devoted play of this game, our game, "because I'm a Cult Member of it"... To be a Cult Member is because of love and I've always loved this game from the days of the Commador64 till today. If my favorite D&D Dungeon Masters tell me I can enter into somewhere but it's not exactly finished, "I really don't care about all that", because it's all under construction... a construction I might add, "that has no ending ever in it's sights of seeking improvement and better gaming quality".

The Portalarium Team are my all time favorite Dungeon Masters and I'm a Cult Member of their following... and maybe you're not... But I'm a Cult Member because I've seen the enormity of it all from the days of when some astronaut's kid decided to take his gaming life to the next level which had never been created before his time. So anyone can be dissatisfied here from what they've seen, I get that, but I understand it's only because you may have never decided to become a never ending Cult Member of any gaming Dungeon Master's works and have the confidence of what content that will become.

And if you are one of our Cult Following Members and you're still not happy with the game's developer's progress, "then maybe you're just getting old and grumpy" as old people can tend to become ;)
    I know I'm ready for 24/7 to launch, and I know that others that come after me into our game will always be, "behind me" in so many ways and in many differing contexts...

[​IMG]
    I know I'm ready!... ;)
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

2. Damian Killingsworth

Damian Killingsworth Avatar

+1

Time Lord likes this.
  3. Julian Baskerville

Julian Baskerville Avatar

Wont happen...

simply due to euro servers costing a tad and...now my oppinion: there would be 3 people on the euro server and 5 people on the US server a few month after release...darn...I ment after final wipe of course. Imho ist better to have 8 People on one server, even if 3 of those have a little lag due to the long connection.

But then...as a single player game...euro server or not makes absolutly no difference, ;)

Time Lord and Fister Magee like this.
  4. Mobidoy Querrent

Mobidoy Querrent Avatar

Ahhh are you our evasive cult leader that I have been trying to find more about in those last 10 releases ?

Just when I thougth it was Budner, you come in and mix it all again in my head

Time Lord likes this.
  5. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

~Na, I'm not the Leader ;) I Just Mix the Kool-Aid Around Here~:cool:

With All New SOTA'Cult'olicios Flavor!' :D

[​IMG]
    Available Now in New Jumbo Size!
    So Be Sure to Bring All the Kids!
    ~Time Lord~:)!

Last edited: May 23, 2016
  6. DepGames

DepGames Avatar

So did Jim Jones.

Time Lord likes this.
  7. Matheryn

Matheryn Avatar

you know I read posts like this and think hmmm are they right but then I sit and reflect for a bit rather than randomly firing of a flame post based on what ive just read and my reflections have come across as this - ever since games have been made there has always been bugs, unbalancing issues, graphical issues, mechanics not working properally of just plain missing and that's ok as it shows the developers what they need to work on especially when the community points them out, now I would be more concerned if the developer makes a game then just plain leaves abandoning the game to the community in its unfinished state and don't get me wrong ive accually seen a few games that have had this happen.

Now I know what Richard Garriott is like with his games he doesn't abandon them he continues to develop them and make them fun and enjoyable for the community and corrects things as they do get discovered being a problem, the only problem that ive ever had a problem with in reguards to Richard is the fact that he went and sold Origin to EA which even he has admitted was previously a mistake that he has mentioned he wont be making again.

Looking at SOTA in its current iteration I do see a lot of flaws, I do see a lot of things missing and I do see several bugs but you know what else I see, I see a game that is stable enough to release to the population to play while the bulk of the flaws, bugs and missing things get fixed without any more wipes and that is generally the process of episode 1 in games that have a long lifespan that develop and grow. I know a lot of people are not familiar with this concept or have never really seen the behind the scenes workings of how games develop or are just plain too impatient and want it all now, well I'm sorry and I'm sure the developers are sorry aswell but this is the way things work in the world, good things take time to develop and that doesn't mean we have to wait, it means we have to progress and develop with it.

At the end of the day SOTA will progress like a full and happy steam engine, chugging along the line and if you feel that it is not something you wish to be apart of then no one is stopping you from getting off at one of the stations and moving on, this is not a statement of like it or lump it, its mearly a statement of if you enjoy it and want to see how it develop then say and do so if not you free to move on and do as you like.

8. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

They drank Flavor Aid, not Kool Aid.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flavor_Aid#Jonestown_Massacre

Time Lord likes this.
  9. Korim Rackham

Korim Rackham Avatar

One of the things that has been driving me nuts this release is that i seem to crash to desktop ALOT more. Granted, ive logged in from my laptop and that seems to be where i crash, but without listing any specifics my laptop is a Gamers Republic and it runs Battlefront on highest setting no problem. As much as i dislike the targeting system, crashing to desktop every 10-15 minutes is even more annoying.

10. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

It's not just you. There was a significant uptick of crash related problems in R29. Personally, it was the most unstable release I have yet seen.

The devs have noted that a lot of it may be due to the most recent version of Unity (the game engine). If they are unable to resolve it in a timely manner, they will revert to an earlier more stable version.

Have faith. :)

Sean Silverfoot and Time Lord like this.
  11. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Confirmed, Unity is very much an integral backbone of making thee game function, and has some conflicts right now in running the game well. We are working with the Unity folks to get these resolved asap.

12. Gramps

Gramps Avatar

I was saying it is not ready to come out of CONSTRUCTION to go live. So put that in your pipe and smoke it Fan Boy.

vallo, Sir_Hemlock and Time Lord like this.
  13. Sir_Hemlock

Sir_Hemlock Avatar

[lights 'fanboy' a match] :p

Time Lord likes this.
  14. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

~Yummy & So SOTA'licios~
    [​IMG]
    What a wonderful way to launch...
    Thank You ;)!'
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

Alexander and Miracle Dragon like this.
  15. Mugly Wumple

Mugly Wumple Avatar

To all of those equating final wipe with launch and using the argument that "all" the new players will just see it as a launched game. I've got to ask, where are these players coming from? Sure, there is the avid minority that scans for every new game, reads all the game mags, labels themselves a "gamer". Most game players are not that avid, and will not even know of this game until Portalarium begins advertising. I'd ask you,how many people have even heard of SotA without some prompt of pointer from one of us fans?

Time Lord likes this.
  16. HoustonDragon

HoustonDragon Avatar

I will agree the game is not fully polished and ready for release, which is why they are still working on the final release for the end of year so far. We are approaching the final wipe and land rush in July, where the world will go permanent.

Also, I'm kinda amused at the "fan boy" label. This is a crowdfunded game massfunded by a group of players who are nostalgic for the Ultima series (including the original games and Ultima Online), and who have poured a ton of cash for Richard Garriott's idea. Of COURSE it's a fan boy game. That's kinda the entire point :p

17. SabeSr

SabeSr Avatar

Sorry...

Oh wait, for once it wasn't me! ooops lol

I love the game, hate a lot of features and lack of many others... I know the game is a year from release at the very least (even if they are hoping they can be out by end of year...again)

Anyways, to the OP as many will state, it is not about to be released, it isn't even in Beta yet... it's being built, its being crowd funded (in part) by those who have hopes it will be a great game... bonus part is that here we all get a voice that IS heard/read and many many many features have been added by hearing the benefactors voices and many more are on the to-d0 list.

Consider it this way, your boss at work (whatever you do) tells you he wants a years worth of work done in six months... you do your best, three months later the customer comes along and says... this isn't even ready for me... you sit at your desk and sigh... Hmmm... do you quit your job or do you put your head back to your work and give it everything you have... you know you'll be late but hope that when you are done the customer is happier then a pig in a puddle and your boss gives you a friday off to go away for a weekend getaway...

In theory.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.