Game release launching

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Aldo, Jul 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

I do not know where to post this, so here it is. Some people can download the new client rather quickly, and others wait for hours for the download to complete. Since people are interested in getting their lots placed asap after logging, my suggestion is to allow time for EVERYONE to get downloaded before activating the launcher. That way everyone can log in at the same time and what fun to try and get your favored lot location.

2. Dinsoo

Dinsoo Avatar

I have a little feeling it won't be so difficult this release. It's just a feeling.

Atogrim, Asclepius and majoria70 like this.
  3. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

Knowing stuff from dev+, if you can't find someplace to claim a lot, and probably the kind of lot you want up to and including a town lot, well I don't know what to say.

majoria70 likes this.
  4. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

Of course there is no problem placing lots, anyone who plays knows that. But if you have your eye on a particular plot, perhaps a water lot you imagine grabbing when the real land rush occurs, then allowing everyone to start the rush at the same moment during these releases would in some way give you a sense of the worst case you will have when it counts. I have a really fast computer and connection, but download the updates at about 300K/sec. I don't use the (tech term?) sharing off of other people's computers. Thus when I log on after a 3 hour update, the land rush is pretty much over and I place in the most convenient place, which is never where I really wanted to be. My suggestion is to simply offer the download for a few hours prior to activating the launcher so everyone will be loaded and ready. For sure everyone who downloads fast will be against this, but I bet the great majority of people will be for the idea. In any case, the real land rush when it occurs will be organized, and this is not an issue. Doing the launch this way during updates and wipes is not going to hurt anyone and might IMO add to the fun.

5. Asclepius

Asclepius Avatar

Hi Aldo - just to amplify a little what Dinsoo said. There are 133 POTs being opened up this release. Many of the current players either own a town or have arranged to live in a town. (I am lucky enough to be one of the latter) To date I have always rushed to Ardoris and bagged one of the city water lots to the south of the city. I am ecstatic to say I won't need to do that now:D So there's at least one water lot going begging, and I suggest there will be many more.

Lord Baldrith and majoria70 like this.
  6. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

If every pot had 50 players ready to move in, that would be approximately 6000 players not interested in looking for plots. I wonder how many total players there are now playing the game. I assume that the pot people are a fraction of the total, but I could be wrong.

7. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

This is my concern how a advantage is created:
    The High Pledgers log in first. They have multiple Lots.

They use they additional Lots as teleporters for guildmates and friends.

So as i understand you only need to change the status to kinship and then also your friends or guildmates can teleport after log in to your house?

Correct me if i am wrong please.

But if this would be the case then one High Backer can prepare sort of teleportation stations with his additional lots all over novia.

As a solo player no chance to compete.

But as i am not 100% sure if kinship status gives yoy teleport option also only a assumption of abuse to provide teleports.

8. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

I do notice that players with additional lots can set up row houses as private teleports to save time.

I am also concerned alot about "Time Zones"

If they choose a land rush tome during us europe players just going to work it truly generates anger.

I am no fan of this landrush system.

I bet they could create a Auction for preferred Lots location and would create insane extra money.
    You do not have to participate on the auction for a prefered spot and try your land rush luck.

But i know our community a little. And some still have a very loose wallet. Grin.

I am 100% sure we will see on the Market Place after release "Unblocking Owls Town Lot for highest bidder", i am not using it. But will keep it blocked until sold. Min money bid: 50 Dollars.

So just creating money blocking the best locations. And we have backers i know who have plenty extra Lots and could easy block all good Lots only to cash out on unblocking, not selling lots.

I do not see how they can prevent this.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
    mikeaw1101 likes this.
  9. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

As long as I have been playing (since October 2014), kinship status hasn't given you a teleport option. Once the game is released and players can have up to three avatars per account, it may be possible for each of the account's avatars to zone to the account's home - I don't think we know yet how that will work. But friends and avatars from second accounts cannot zone to the house via kinship. Once the game is released it may not even be possible for the owner to zone home :)

Myrcello likes this.
  10. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

Good we are talking about this. :) Even so i was wrong. I would prefer all of us thinking about any way the Land Rush System can be abused. The more we try to find out ways now how we "could" find tricks to abuse it and create an advantage, the faster something can be one to prevent it.

Next brainstorming.

Could i abuse "Gift" and transfer my Pledge to a truste "High Pledge Backer" so that he places my Lot Deed on a good spot. Then afterwards he gifts me all back?

Just brainstorming ideas to abuse the Land Rush.

Or i Gift only a "Lot Deed" to a highest backer, so he can block with that Lot Deed a good spot?

And then after i log in when my pledge level is getting access he only unblocks it so i can place my Lot?

11. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

Next brainstorming:

could a High Level Backer sale his House Deeds to optain very fast "ingame Free Lot Deeds", then block withe them good Spots.
    Then as soon as his low pledge level friends logs in - He sales the Free Lots and purchases his houses back. ( with a little gold loss)

So basically could a High Level backer optain very fast "ingame Lot Deeds" with the sale of "rewards" he has.

Next brainstorming :

Can a High Level Backer position himself with his multiple accounts. And the moment i Log In i basically only Mail him my Lot Deed so he can place it, saving myself the time to run there.

Next brainstorming:

If one players has clicked on a Lot Signature just to look at it - can still a other player at the same time do it - or does he have to wait until once player is not looking at the Menu of the Lot Sign?
    Just thinking of the possbility that i ask a friend to open the Menu of the Lot Sign - so no other player can access it.

Next brainstorming:

Could i lay down with 1 or 2 avatars on a "Lot Stone Sign", so other players can´t click on it? Preventing them from accessing the Menu to claim that Lot?

Next crazy brainstorm:

If one "Owls Town instance is full" - so basically the limit of 100 players is reached, then another instance will open for the next 100 players.

So now in the first instance the Lot Signs Menus are blocked because players have them activated - would that mean that the other players in the instance can´t access it.
    Or can multiple players look at the Lot Menu at the same time on different instances. :)

Next brainstorming:

Could High Level Backers Level so fast, and be so fast generating money! that they can purchase "Lot Deeds" with in game Gold ( so no real money) to be able to block for friends "Lot locations", before the other players get access for the land rush turn?

12. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

I have the same issue - it takes me hours to download the game. However, some kind soul advised me to try to start the download before the official launch time, and that worked for me after the last wipe. I don't know if it will work in R20.
    Yes, the primary purpose of having additional lots has been to quickly teleport back and forth. This is one reason the zoning cooldown factor was applied to zoning home.
    No matter what time is chosen, it will be inconvenient for some locations. If I recall correctly, up until now the releases have been at 10:30 a.m. Austin time. Aren't most Americans at work or going to work at that time? I think the Devs need to pick a time when they will be available to make quick fixes in case something goes wrong.

A valid concern - this has already happened.
    Are you referring to when the game is finally released? I am not sure this would make sense in this exact way. I may be wrong, but I thought the high pledge backers would get to place only one lot before everyone else, even if they own multiple lots. They would of course use that privilege for themselves. In the pre-alpha, people with multiple lot deeds often lend their extra lot deeds in-game to friends who don't have a deed, but that friend still has to scurry around looking for a free lot.

Vaentorian and Myrcello like this.
  13. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

I have multiple accounts for extra deeds but all of them are going in my own towns for event areas..except maybe 1 row house that i want to use as an embassy in a large pvp town.

cartodude, Myrcello and Kara Brae like this.
  14. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

If you look at my last post i did ad even provide more brainstormings of abuse. I was editing more to my post, so you missed out on some ideas. :) Happy thinking if this could be possible.

the most intresting one is: How fast could a highest Level Backer grind "Gold" to purchase "ingame Lot Deeds" to block further Lots. I know some of you are very very fast with gaining gold.
    So do you think you are able with the 10 Hours of extra time you have to gain enough in game gold for Lot Deeds to block further Lots before even the ohter players get a chance to Log In?

15. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

Just read: If it is really true that everyone will only be able to place "1 Lot" then this means also a player can´t block Lots for friends.
    Just wondering how they wan´t to be able to get this work. So after the land rush they change the Lot Deed Placement coding?

16. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

I didn't understand this. How would it be possible to obtain free lot deeds by selling house deeds? Who would the backer sell the house deeds to?
    I don't think it will be possible to mail someone a lot deed. If I understand you correctly, you are suggesting that the high level backer log in with one account, run to a prime location and wait for his friend to send him a deed to claim the house. And he should do this same thing with multiple accounts. I am not worried about this scenario. The backer will first run to a lot he wants to claim for himself with each account. And he can't run around with each account simultaneously. There is no time benefit for the friend in this scenario that I can detect.
    I don't know the answer to this. or to the question about instancing

The Devs have talked about having a lottery to obtain rare in-game lot deeds. No player will be able to simply go to a vendor and buy them like we can in the pre-alpha.

17. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

Hi Kara Brae. Thx for answering my brainstormings.

I just think that if we do not have a sort of "session" of us players trying to use our creativity to find ways to abuse the "Land Rush" we will miss out on preventing some.
    I will for example try next release to lay down my avatar on a Lot Stone on the floor. I want to see if i can prevent players from clicking on it.

I mean all this crazy stuff will become meaningful during this crazy Land Rush Stress we will have.

18. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

You sale your House Deeds to a NPC, then purchase Lot Deeds, then claim lots. - But as you stated already why should someone do that. And if it is true ( what i am sceptical about) that they activate some function that we all can only optain one Lot during Land Rush most abuse is prevented already.

19. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

Hi Myrcello! If I gave the impression that I did not approve of having a brainstorming session, I apologize and assure you that it is not the case. I am glad you asked these questions and am sure that many users are asking themselves the same things. Such discussions benefit everyone :)

20. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

Next Brainstorming: Now this is evil. Could i lure as a POT owner players that do not understand the difference between POT Lot Deeds and Normal Lot Deeds to claim a Lot on my POT, but then afterwards kick them from my POT Lot leaving them without a LOT.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.