Game Style Compromise!

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by KillingJoke, Jan 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ultima Aficionado

Ultima Aficionado Avatar

The point of becoming a notorious murderer in Ultima Online was recognition. PvPers who were capable of dominating the field were seen as skilled players who tested their mettle every day. This was the goal for many PvPers, despite some of the rumors which circulate on these forums. There were times in Ultima Online where the odds were quite against you say 2 vs. 5 and the 2 players who had better cohesion, timing, and strategy often won over the 5 disorganized players.

3devious likes this.
  2. Ultima Aficionado

Ultima Aficionado Avatar

Trammel was created for several reasons, the primary one was additional housing spaces. I remember distinctly when Trammel was released and this was the feature the majority of players were excited about. I doubt you were there or you'd be aware of this.

TenoMeric likes this.
  3. Ultima Aficionado

Ultima Aficionado Avatar

This is from the Kickstarter page:

"$1.7M: Dynamic and Contested Resource Nodes + Optional Minimap System
    • Meteorites, volcanic eruptions, outbreaks of rare plants and animals can appear and vanish suddenly (online and offline) for those who are paying attention. Some PVP focused resources appear in tile
    • Optional minimap system for the directionally impaired!
    • The Lost Vale - A new mini-adventure centered around a lost valley previously hidden to players, now visible only during special astronomical alignments."

4. KillingJoke

KillingJoke Avatar

yep. wiki vs real in game. Housing was the main reason. Then, once fell was losing its lure, because all the new players were scared to come over, they started offering better drops of rares in fell. See my POS story to see how that ended up...Ultima _AFic. knows what hes talking about.

5. Owain

Owain Avatar

I imaging the PvP focused resources will only be visible if flagged for PvP, but we'll have to wait to hear how they intend to implement this.

As far as Trammel/Felucia goes or how many players were interested in what goes, I think that is all pretty academic as far as SotA is concerned. Rather than guessing on PvP interest based on UO history, the devs will be able to see exactly how many people flag for PvP, which will remove all doubt, won't it?

6. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

But it wont be a full loot area! thats the difference! Im all for this option! it will leave the other options open for those that do not want pvp!

Time Lord likes this.
  7. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

You will have all that in the current options!

Time Lord likes this.
  8. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

the way things are going on these pvp forums, it looks like there will hardly be any pvp style playing anyways! alot of the people prefer not to pvp BUT, alot of us prefer just that, its just another option! Im all for this option, it will give me and people like me the fun and enjoyment of a UO style that Richard came up with back in the day! that we all loved so much! people, please stop pushing us to the side! On another note it was stated at the beginning its not an argument thread, so anyone that argued it shouldve read that! Heres what we got, another argument thread from non pvpers, partial pvprs! It was a suggestion, and i do not think that, the ones that started arguing in here, shouldve posted with those means! It could be resolved by making it NOT an area that the non pvprs would have to go through! We as PVPrs need some support as much as the non pvprs! This type of stuff is what makes me angry and second guessing myself "why did i buy into this!"

TenoMeric and Time Lord like this.
  9. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

well make it so they dont have to go there! its that simple, but we as pvprs should also enjoy the game as much as the non pvprs!

Time Lord likes this.
  10. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

This is what makes me hate this game thus far, it leans towards the nonpvp, and pushes the pvp away, i dont see how that helps financially? To push people away especially when your trying to make a game that appeals to everyone our money is just as good as yours we should have some say in things as well without bickering! OP you are right i totally agree with your idea! The others will have thier areas, to play in! so we should have ours too! So many options for the non pvp, partial pvp etc.. hardly any for the pvp only!

Time Lord likes this.
  11. Jambot

Jambot Avatar

Ahem... hardly any except attack whoever you want in the wilderness anytime (PvP slider, only see other PvPers, *usual recap here*...)

docdoom77 likes this.
  12. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

yeah this battle is getting old! Im a PVPr so ill stand by any PVP all the time, im also ok with others having No PVP if thats what they want!

docdoom77 and Time Lord like this.
  13. Owain

Owain Avatar

Then I think you are doomed to disappointment, because RG isn't interested in providing what you are requesting.

docdoom77 likes this.
  14. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

So be it! theres other games out there!

Time Lord likes this.
  15. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

A full PvP zone isn't much of a fix for people that want to play PK. What is a PK, a wolf looking for sheep. Why do people go into this zone but to PvP. That's wolf vs wolf, not PK.

Why design a zone for wolf without designing the zone for the sheep. Why limit it to a zone when you can have the entire world?

Find a way to make the roll of the sheep worth playing. The roll of the sheep can not be forced, those that do now wish to play that roll will leave. Like it or not, you kill off all the sheep and it's back to wolf vs wolf.

It's not going to be gathering, that's no longer the roll of the sheep, gatherers will have combat skills and will fight back.

From the latest hangout - Multiplayer: Those rare resources are not exclusive to PvP, there will be high level PvE MOBs that guard those rares for people that do now wish to PvP.

What''s left? Simple answer: Make PvP fun, competitive, and it's own reward. People will be more open to try it if everyone that does try gives positive feed back.

Xandra7, PrimeRib and Akeashar like this.
  16. Ara

Ara Avatar

Why should i try a PvP game with AoS insurance and a combat system that is designed to be a card game?

I'm sorry that is not a game for me as a oldschool UO felucca player.

I'm done playing these never ending WoW games i need something more mature, a combat system where PvP actually matter something, PvP in itself is not it's own reward without consequences and risk vs reward, and as someone else said, there are more games out there.

blaquerogue likes this.
  17. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

2) How will death be handled, loot on death, blessed items?
    Anything that is part of your pledge rewards or any add-on store item would be immune to loot in a pvp situation.
    The rules about looting are still being worked out. They have an idea about taking some items from body, but victim can pay ransom to get items back.

(Quote from the thread started by Dame Lori so it's paraphrasing)

Insurance was not listed during the answering of the question.

A combat system must have a foundation. Would you prefer, all abilities available with cool down timers? They are working to avoid the spreadsheet style button mashing combat. A system that requires the players to react to the flow of combat. Isn't that part of what people enjoy about PvP over PvE? Relax a little, trust that they will listen and adjust the system to make sure it's a very functional system.

Akeashar and Lord Baldrith like this.
  18. Curt

Curt Avatar

I would suggest only items obtainable from pvp rewards would be lootable, but that they would be bit easier to get than the pve ones.

19. redfish

redfish Avatar

I will never compromise my gamestyle!

Jk, I don't even know what a gamestyle is.

20. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

And thats a shame considering he invented the pvp open world concept way before anyone! It seems he has turned his back on a factor that made UO such a great game.

3devious likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.