1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Gold Crowns of the Obsidians

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, May 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. warxnox

warxnox Avatar

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/03/13/garriott-on-shroud-of-the-avatar-why-he-needs-ks/

2. himmelweiss

himmelweiss Avatar

3. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

My 2 cents :

I have no serious concerns about the CotO sales, nor with the tax free POT deeds. On the other hand, I just think the timing isn't really good.

I'm looking at the development of this game since the start (kickstarter era). Portalarium has made tremendous progress since the very first prototype. Remember :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Portalarium was able to offer better graphics and gameplay because of our financial support. In other words, the game continue to grow through pledges (mainly), POT and add-on store (alternatively). But we all know that SOTA will not be truly complete by the release. Content creation for the following episodes, delayed features and global asset improvments will be made by the team convened by Portalarium. And to live (or survive), this team needs cash. $9 millions is not that much compared to other online games budget, you know.
    So premium currency does not shock me, especially since it would give people who lack time in real life the possibility to "stay tuned" in the game thanks to real money dedicated to the game.

The only thing that bothers me is the implication of the premium currency in the repairing process. I find this profoundly anti-immersive and it reminds me of SWTOR purchasable skill bars, somehow.

About Viking bundle, I would say : finaly ! I see two benefits : It allows tax free deeds to those who could not invest earlier (thus, enable a new way of funding the game) and this could speed up the feeling of POTs. Earlier backers will keep an advantage with their access to the NPC/PRT towns.

However, I think it's a bit too early to speak of premium currency in SOTA. The game is not even released. As long as the game is not released yet, viking bundles are nothing more than.... pledges. And more, here is a new reason to consider the final wipe as a release.

4. warxnox

warxnox Avatar

Here is the former question and answer :

Instead of acting with such agressivity, would you please mind to explain us what you comprehend (you know, your "two and two version") with that question and in wich way it invalidates the fact that RG stated that microtransaction would be restrained to "important decisions" of the game like housing etc. ?

Last edited: May 31, 2016
  5. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

It's a matter or interpretation. I interpret the "Nominal Fee for Larger Chunks of Content" as DLC, not MTX.

And, if you believe because of things that Richard said... Richard, who is known for running off at the mouth, much to the chagrin of his development team... years ago, and wasn't able to live up to because Reality, then that is your right. I don't agree with it, but that is your right.

"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is." - Lawrence Peter "Yogi" Berra

6. Nhili Dragon

Nhili Dragon Avatar

I also do not like the gold currency in the repair process. I have other things in the store I want so the gold will probably be a no buy. Wait and see how it goes I guess. :rolleyes:

Scraps MacMutt likes this.
  7. Scraps MacMutt

Scraps MacMutt Avatar

+1

I was okay with the gem system in GW2 and I'd be okay with a similar COTO system to help support SotA. However, I don't see any merit in allowing indestructible gear and cutting crafters out of the loop.

Dantuin, Moiseyev Trueden and agra like this.
  8. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

What gold currency in the repair process? There is nothing you "Pay" for to repair an item? Now if you mean you can buy items to make repair, of course that is pay to win which is what everyone is mostly up in arms about.

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  9. Noric

Noric Avatar

If you want to get into technicalities, Crowns are literally an ancient currency, so anything that uses the gold variant relating to repairs is the existence of gold currency in the repair process.

10. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

Just throwing in my 2 pence. I have no issues with Crowns or how they are being used. I will use mine sparingly. At this point I'm more concerned with getting weapons racks of varying types so I have a way to show of my used weapons that have memories tied to them but too fragile to use and too expensive to repair.

Last edited: May 31, 2016
  11. Vasflam2

Vasflam2 Avatar

I am going to hold judgement until after the post mortem but I will say this, I am not a fan of adding any new "pay to win" content this late in the game.

12. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

I occasionally play fallout shelter, farmvile, candy crush, and whatever in-app purchase mobile games out there to kill time while travelling. I still enjoy playing those game from time to time despite I never spent a dime on their pay-to-win items. The ads were kinda annoying, but at least the game play wasn't so bad. These are making billions out of $1 transactions.

So yeah, at this point.. As long as they are gonna make the game so much fun that I feel like buying COTO will give me orgasmic nirvana, I don't mind payment for that as I already paid for pledges, add-on, POT stuff because I feel good about getting those items. However, if whatever else already in the game suddenly become a pain to deal with and COTO is the remedy, then I will not be too impressed.

13. Kensing Ton

Kensing Ton Avatar

<gone...>

Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
  14. syxs

syxs Avatar

It was at the time of the Kickstarter March 13 near the start of it.

People have been asking for a quote from KS about selling powers? Here is one:
    https://www.kickstarter.com/project...ues-0/comments?cursor=2403315#comment-2403314

Also that post was by @Chris so here he is saying "We're strong believers in the golden rule that if you're going to do micro-transaction, you don't sell power but rather uniqueness (visuals, fun stuff!) and convenience"

15. Sargon

Sargon Avatar

How do you draw the line between power and convenience? One could argue that an instant level 50 character could be considered a "convenience" of bypassing the level grind, and by that logic almost anything could fall into the category of convenience.

16. Kensing Ton

Kensing Ton Avatar

<gone...>

17. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

One could also argue that wanting other people to have no way to avoid that grind on the basis that time played in game is the only morality correct choice is a biased agenda.

cartodude and Leelu like this.
  18. Kytail

Kytail Avatar

Interesting. During the last VIP roundtable, I had asked if there were any plans for a "freemium" currency - one that links the Add-On store directly with in-game items. @DarkStarr, you had told me that wasn't going to happen. Perhaps my question was not worded correctly, or otherwise unclear?

I'm a little disappointed. One of the things I despise about the typical Free-to-Play model is these "freemium" (premium) currencies - because nearly always, they end up providing some sort of mechanical benefit in the game. And this seems to ultimately result in the richest players having the most elite characters.

Seeing that gear repair is essentially now tied to out-of-game wealth, I'm deeply concerned.

Yes, in theory, this currency is available in-game, but how readily available are these to say, the typical hardcore PVPer? And I would imagine that said PvPer is going to be the one churning through gear durability the most - am I mistaken? Perhaps I should be asking @Baron Drocis Fondorlatos about this, as I'd imagine he has a good understanding of how this will impact the PvP playstyle.

In summary, I'm anticipating, "the people with the best gear in the game can afford to keep this gear because they have the out-of-game wealth to maintain it."

Please assure me that's not going to happen.

19. Kensing Ton

Kensing Ton Avatar

<gone...>

20. Womby

Womby Avatar

You will always be able to grind for COTOs by raising gold and buying them from other players who have bought them from the add-on store. Competition from other sellers and regional variations should ensure that the in-game prices for those COTOs do not get out of hand.

This is a simple exchange between someone who is time rich and someone who is money rich.

Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.