Guide: How not to have a disadvantage in SotA

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Myrcello, Nov 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

Hi all.

Several times i have been reading complains about it beeing unfair if someone has a house, or being able to purchase a add on item with real money giving a unfair advantage.

So here is my question.

What do you consider as "Winning in SoTA"?
    Because only if there is a definition of "Winning SotA", there can be a "advantage"

My personal conclusion:

SotA overs only one way to win. You need someone who is jealous and considers you a winner because of what you have and he does not.
    And only someone who is jealous will talk about an advantage you have.

My secret guide how you will never have an disadvantage in SotA:

Be not jealous.

Maybe some will not agree with me, but no house, no Lord of the Manor , no unbreakable item will give you a advantage if there is a ending story after episode 5 and all we can do is enjoy the sandbox story we are in.

I consider all as winning if the game is fun, no matter how much or less money you invested.

2. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

I will "WIN" SOTA when I am still playing it 10 years from now. Then I will start over. ;)

Other than that your description of winning is good too. :)

3. smack

smack Avatar

We will all win if this game is around for the next 10 years with a vibrant and active community. Portalarium will eventually find the right business model and hopefully we'll all participate in making this game a continuing success story, year over year.

4. VZ_

VZ_ Avatar

Someone who can drop a grand or two on a video game will always feel the envy of those who can barely go on vacation. Especially in a hobby filled with as many self-righteous dorks as RolePlaying.

Find solice and happiness in what you can afford, and sleep better at night knowing you're doing your best. Or, you know, try harder.

This game will always be a sandbox to me. As curious as I am in the story, the major draw is the community for me. I doubt I'll play the story at all for months after release. I am planning on exploring and "leveling" up. Hunting items and players. When/if that dies down, I will explore the story (theres five years of it, whats the rush).

5. tuchaka

tuchaka Avatar

Totaly agree we see the same arguments with microtransactions , just stop wanting the cute magic hat someone payed money for and it never has to bother you again.....The End

Myrcello likes this.
  6. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

Maybe buying all of these items is going to make the game see you as a glutton, and as soon as you load the game, you get the game over screen. P ay to Lose! ;)

Myrcello likes this.
  7. Duke Lorimus

Duke Lorimus Avatar

Ive always found it unfair that alot of people have an unlimited amout of time to play camp, grind what have you.. When I must go to work everyday.. It seems the dynamic has changed a bit and the people with unlimited time see themselves at a unfair disadvantage and that makes them butthurt.... Just my observation.. Good thing im nobody...
    Lor

8. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

As a backer that's paid a large amount of money, I consider the original post to be extremely rude and an insult to intelligent discussion.

I know I've personally spent money on this game for an added advantage. Although I ONLY speak for myself, I think it would be more than a bit naive to believe that the majority of people here are giving money simply because they want to express their heartfelt gratitude.

To be fair, I don't think there's anything at all wrong with using money to get an advantage. But for the sake of reasonablness, it's certainly not right to pretend that it's not the obvious advantage that it is. That's just downright crass. Why not say something a bit more refined next time, like "let them eat cake"?

Case in point: Here's the description for the newest item available in the add-on store.

"This unique indestructible axe increases the quality and quantity of the wood harvested as well as increasing the speed of harvesting. While axes with similar effects can be crafted and purchased in the game this particular axe never needs repair."

It's kind of hard to argue with reality. Btw, I love the new axe and I'm thinking of buying 2!

greaseDonkey, Keldrin and Kambrius like this.
  9. tuchaka

tuchaka Avatar

We don't have the entire 'axe line' to compair it to what if there are better ones and the only advantage is you don't need to repair it or that the increase in quality from the best ( in game acquired ) is minor ? When I think of advantage I think of cash shop boosts than can be used in PVP and basically if you don't use them your gonna loose. More storage and convenience is what I have seen up for sale , not something one must have or they are at a significant dissadvantage.

licemeat likes this.
  10. Drocis the Devious

PVP is a playing style. So is non-pvp. To a person that has no interest in PVP, this axe would be a big advantage over someone that didn't have as easy access to this item. I don't think I'm breaking any new ground by saying this - it's really quite obvious.

TemplarAssassin and NirAntae like this.
  11. tuchaka

tuchaka Avatar

"While axes with similar effects can be crafted and purchased in the game" I don't see where similar = big advantage. I used the PVP example because its the dreaded P2W that usually doesn't exist but the few times it did was a disaster.

12. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

I have no intend to be rude or insult anyone.

I have a total different opinion on this then you. That is the case.
    But nothing bad about different opinions.

13. Drocis the Devious

Day one I have two village homes, an axe, a fishing pool, a magic cornucopia, and a magic turkey tamer (not to mention all the stuff I have from being a backer). Inside the world of SotA, I'm a man of wealth and this game isn't even in Alpha yet. So while many other people are going be trying to save money to buy things, I'll be working on my combat skills. While other people are paying taxes for their homes and vendors, I'll be keeping that money thank you very much. While other people are trying to start from scratch, I'll be sitting down in my modestly furnished home relaxing while learning new crafting skills.

Make no mistake, there's a definite "pay to win" theme here. It may not be as obvious or as adventageous as it has been in some other games, but it's there. There's no denying that (not within any reason).

TemplarAssassin and jamco12 like this.
  14. Drocis the Devious

I have no problem with you expressing a different opinion. We obviously disagree. I normally would've ignored this thread entirely, but the tone of many of the posts here was so much bullying (imo) that I felt someone needed to speak the truth (as I see it) in defense of the other sides arguement.

greaseDonkey and Myrcello like this.
  15. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

And my point is that i am happy you have all this "more".
    But you will have players who will only be interested in the story of the game.
    Some will only come to roleplay with friends.
    Some will wan't to pvp.

There are many who will not care about what you think is a advantage. They have other goals for this game then you.
    That what i am trying to express.

If this would be a match, a pvp and i would have a buff spell, and my enemy does not.
    That is a advantage against my enemy because we have the same goal: winning our duel.

16. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

Maybe i have to agree and refine myself.
    There will be players who have the same motivation as you in this game.
    If they can't afford a house like you or the add on items they will feel that you are having a advantage.

I was wrong with my conclusion that as SotA does not state how to win, that you can't have a advantage.
    You will have it against players who set same goals as your personal ones.

Gunga Din likes this.
  17. tuchaka

tuchaka Avatar

Pay 2 win is an advantage that must be had in order to remain competative , many gamers play make believe with their deffinintion of Pay 2 Win , a minor measurable advantage is not the same as a essential advantage your dead without. I have yet to see any way that some other players nice house and minor bonus items even effects me aside from envy. Most P2W claims i see being made by gamers is someone has something i want it i don't wanna pay for therefore its unfair. For every item being paid for we do not know for sure how much of an advantage it is till the game comes out , and we have a understanding of what competing items power would be. So if its a convenience level minor advantage it has no effect on me as a gamer.

Myrcello likes this.
  18. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

I have only 2 points of contention with the add-ons from the shop and the game in general on other peoples gameplay.

1 As Plots are a Rare thing in the world they should not be on sale for $. If you get an house from your Pledge thats a good thing for anyone who has that a mount of spare money.

2 I think as Plots are limited each account should only be allowed one Plot of land. A lot of Backers may be more interested in the Sandbox part of the game than the storyline that may last 40+hours.

I Think this policy should be changed back to the original concept of one Plot per account.
    The devs will be adding lots of Future item in the store anyone that as more than one Plot could been given Credit for this amount to use on later items they may wish to buy from the shop or a refund .
    For me its not about how these items will help those that buy them its the main principle of any game one House Plot per account especially if that number is limited, all other items in the shop can be sold by the million they do not impact on other peoples gameplay style.

greaseDonkey likes this.
  19. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

I think we need to break out of the "money is the only advantage" mentality here.

Many people have the advantage of time to advance and enjoy the game to their heart's content.
    Many people have the advantage of fast reflexes for combat and can own the PvP world.
    Many people have the advantage of being good at social connections and networking which can be an advantage in the world.
    Many people have the advantage of quicker intuition and so can figure out quests/challenges more easily.

I guarantee that those who haven't paid money for the game have some advantages that those who have paid do not.

Personally, I don't have a lot of time to play, and I'm not going to complaing about those who do. It will be a definite advantage for them. So let's stop the exclusive focus on money.

20. Keldrin

Keldrin Avatar

Well, if my character is going to be a gluton, I need to buy a couple more cournacopias then. I mean, wouldn't a dining table inside someones house, overflowing with those cornacopias, just shout gluton to you?

Kuno Brauer and LoneStranger like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.