Guild Wars and Castle Siege

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MrBlight, Jun 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

Snowballs

2. Merlota

Merlota Avatar

Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
    High Baron O`Sullivan and Mykll like this.
  3. Preachyr

Preachyr Avatar

Apparently neither does asking for a direct answer, bringing it up in multiple posts over multiple years, bringing it up in multiple post mortems, or asking on discord.

MrBlight and Mykll like this.
  4. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

somedaytm

5. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Lol enlighten me.
    What does it take to get them to address a KS promise, and a major game feature they talked about having?
    Am i supposed to smile and say * Oh your right LB, that table top catapult thats just for deco is the EXACT same as castle sieging in guild wars using catapults.

I sure as **** am not going to keep throwing money at them and act like they are doing me a FAVOR by addressing a question that has been brought up 50x in the last few months politely.

Again, they are incredibly lucky to have someone as lenient when it comes to that stuff as you Majoria. But i think you dont make them responsible enough for what they say/promise and actually do.

Mykll likes this.
  6. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Because *guild wars* isnt even a versus. Declare war and all it does is flag your guild. Doesnt even limit you and the opposing guild as only flagged to each other.

This goes back to my example of saying theres Stars in the sky, so this game has extensive interstellar and space mechanics. Its just a weak point that they should make clear.

Its hella different then having guild keeps that you can fight over and such, as it was talked about.
    Intentionally deceiving.

Mykll likes this.
  7. Blade Savage

Blade Savage Avatar

Problem is, if you monitor these forums closely... I think the percentage of people caring about that type of stuff is outnumbered by then umber of players not wanting to do PVP at all.

I like PVP andpparticipate, but even I don't really care about stuff like that either. I think it would be ridiculously hard to implement from what I've seen of the engine so far. I downloaded and installed the SDK to start making armor and monsters. However, the engine doesn't seem to scale well. To make a siegeviable, you would want at least 100 people per side. I think the current instance limit was 160 or something... and having been at gust ball games etc, I don't see how they could easily and reliably implement it.

Stundorn likes this.
  8. Sebastion2

Sebastion2 Avatar

Sad that the catapult doesn't launch pebbles. :(

Okay, shall go back to topic.

Not a fan of Guild War, or any PvP feature ever. Still it would be cool to have the option of guilds benefit from some form of competition and getting rewards for it. Does not even need to be a PvP. Could be a guild-wide quest where guilds fulfills an ore order, or kill more elves/kobolds etc. Want to make it more bloody? Only activities in multiplayer counts. Get some guild perks or some status effect like your guild name being shiny would be cool. SWTOR had Huttball, a gustball like game, and the system will do the matchmaking and stuff. There will be PvP currencies to win. It was pretty fun. I spend many hours playing that dumb part of the game even though I hated PvP.

That said, one guild mechanic I would really love is guild leveling. Guild quests, guild experience, guild-wide perk. The disappointing thing is that we don't have this even though it's not a very new or unique concept. It's been around for a while, and wildly popular. It would have been good to have something like this for a game so socially-focused.

Now castle siege I think I would enjoy. It must be big scale though. With tens of player on one or both sides, plus a good number of NPCs splash in. What makes me feel that this is not a feature we will see any time in the near future (i.e. later than episode II) is that the game has problem rendering POT already. A castle siege might easily send the server, or maybe even my PC) into a stroke.

Stundorn and Mykll like this.
  9. Andartianna

Andartianna Avatar

Here is the kickstarter page: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/portalarium/shroud-of-the-avatar-forsaken-virtues-0?

No where in the kickstarter does it say everything would be in episode 1. I must also point out that kickstarter is not a binding agreement. They are not require to provide the items listed exactly how they are listed which is plainly stated in the kickstarter TOS. That being said I suspect most of if not all of the content people want will end up in the game. Freaking out and pulling out your voices because it's not happening immediately is very short sighted. You should stay active in the alphas, and betas and advocate what you want. The Devs are listening to us which they have shown with countless changes they have made to the game advocated by the players.

Rufus D`Asperdi likes this.
  10. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Your right. They arnt legally obligated to meet any of their promises.
    They can use the * its in the future plans, maybe!* argument all they want. And they do.

That changes absolutly nothing in regards to the point them implying stuff will be here, allowing people to think it will be, and using weak arguments like the table top catapult, is shady and unproffesional on their part. And at the very least is an insult to some of their player base.

Its just like sone of the big complaint in the description for the new investment site.

Yea, the majority of the people in game and currently on forums DONT care about this feature, becsuse most pvp people left.

Theres a reason theres 65k accounts, yet 500 or so active players. I am sure most people who DO care about this promise are part of that missing 64.5k.

Besides. My big grief is that they talked about it being IN episode 1. They had ample time to correct the assumption. And they had ample time and opportunities to do the courtesy of answering.

If its always been set for ep 2, right from ks, they could have said that, snd i would have pledged to episode 2 not 1.

Like i said. Its purely in poor taste on their part to do things like this.
    Just like with treasure hunting.

Not impressed at all.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2017
    Preachyr, Mykll and Autumn Willow like this.
  11. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

proficiency is hidden? I believe it's not...

[​IMG]

I could be wrong but when I mouse over the skill it shows my proficiency... anyway, if I'm wrong then sorry... :(

MrBlight, Stundorn and Mykll like this.
  12. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Like that !!!

I think guildwars and castle sieges would be cool, but i doubt we will see this soon.
    The Game needs other things more important to encourage new people to try and stay.
    Things to explore, tons of cool quests, loot that's worth grinding for.

The game lacks content beyond grinding everything.
    Grinding XP , grinding Materials, grinding skills.
    And all this is only varied by some different scenes. People farm this or that scene and do not need to travel or seek for this or that.
    No incentives to explore.

Treasure Chests, PoI in all scenes connected to quests , to daily a quests maybe and Bulletin Boards with tasks for Avatars, hunting Kobolds for Valhold e.g. or defeating Castles against Undead... Collecting wood, ore, gems and deliver them...
    This are features and content the game need before we talk about sieges etc.

If the development of my char is grind scene A , then B.... to Z - and that's what we all just have done more or less -
    grinding bosses , sieges , the mage room etc... circumventing spawntimers, abusing gamemechanics like switchmodes, CP's or special spots ingame , spiders in DR or something similar ... then this game cannot get more people playing and will die over time.

To make the game interesting we need thousands of active players , enlived PoTs , player Vendors , public vendors and Content .

If we have this I will be glad to see guildwars and sieges with hundreds of people involved , but before there are a lot of more important things to do.

Mykll likes this.
  13. Sebastion2

Sebastion2 Avatar

I would think that is just a factor adding towards the total proficiency? Thanks a lot though. Would have to check that out when I have time to play.

"The creator is solely responsible for fulfilling the promises made in their project. If they’re unable to satisfy the terms of this agreement, they may be subject to legal action by backers." - Taken from the end of section 4 of the Kickstarter ToS. Bulk of the section subscribes to the creator working in good faith to fulfilling the requirements, and the backers providing patience and understanding.

I'm not suggesting legal action, only that campaign promises are somewhat enforceable. Someone in another thread mentioned something about making project creators more accountable for their promises in order not to allow scammers (NOT talking about this project) to proliferate on KS. In any case, nothing to do now but be patient. The game is in the works, there is no hard evidence that promises will not be fulfilled. I understand that waiting four years for some people could be frustrating though.

PS: I keep quoting people on forums lately but absolutely forgetting their names. Apologies for this.

Mykll likes this.
  14. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

I feel RG has not admitted to himself that his dream is not going to come true. Whether it is a limitation of the game engine or whatever, he wanted a game where choices had consequences and objects in the world were interactive. Although I don't have faith that these things will be accomplished, history is littered with people with vision who succeeded by keeping at it until they succeeded. Not admitting defeat is encouraging to me. All my wishes for his success here.

15. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Chris just committed to redoing a longterm roadmap to clarify implementations of whats realisticly going to be in sota and wats not.

This should have been done a long time ago. But hopefully maybe clarifies other features that people may be waiting for that are no longer coming.

Definitly a good step.

16. Curt

Curt Avatar

17. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Thanx for link, ill take a look!

I think im just of a small majority left that cares about any decent PVP, that isnt 1v1 dueling.
    Think ill end up having to rotate to a game that just does it outright, instead of hoping for implementation of a system thats probably not even do able in the future. DAOC style PVP, Shaiya, hell even WoW had PvP i can play with buddies every weekend.

Camalot unchained i think is getting closer and closer to where im going to play with friends. I just put money that i would have put in SOTA, into that. (not that its a lot, as im a poor canadian). Simply because i dont think sOTA is going to come close to hitting my expectations for fun PVP.

Ah well.
    Very least il keep checking in on here for now, least till the other comes closer to completion.

18. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

I'm still here too... I'll likely never participate, but I sincerely hope those that wish it get what they desire.

MrBlight likes this.
  19. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

I think it woulda been neat if they had an instance for guild wars. Something even simple but picture a .. medium sized / smaller zone.
    2 Castles.. / keeps. Lets say a road connecting the 2, and NPC neutral vendors in the center (arrows n ****) .. some bush in the side, preferably no real mobs.. but w.e on that.

2 simple castles. Once a guild war is initiated between the 2 leaders.. if your in that guild this becomes your private instance for only those 2 associated guilds.

Now think of the options. You could have.. say a flag that needs to be captured on the top of each guilds keep. Once captured the opposing guild wins.
    Make it a REAL effort to get in even if 0 people were online. Think Dark age of Camalot.
    NPC guards that slow them down. (if this isnt possible then fine) Make a gate that you can beat down, but you do like 1 dmg a swing. Add other methods of getting in / invading the castle. Maybe multiple *tiers*

Now make crafters relivent. Make the Door upgradeable/repairable. Add slots where you can add catapults that shoot key spots. Or mounted X bows. Or traps that can be made. And make these upgrades Scale with crafting skill ( or multiple levels taking a lot of MATS / skill to do so) .
    Now add players. Do this all with the intention that a siege of 10-15 people, Vs and empty keep would take around 2-3 hours. Make it so that its liek an ON GOING conflict, not a 20 mintue scene. Make me have to organize attacks/defenses with the guild. If we want to take the keep? Then **** yea we are on it ALL saturday, because their defenders keep showing up and making us work for it.
    Im talking make the average guild war take 48+ hours of exchanging. minimum!
    Make guilds actually decide to devote gold/resources to a war.

Add a Glory bonuse for winning a guild war that scales based on the other Guilds networth? Or maybe make it scale based on how much resources went into defense ? ( this would bypass abuse.. if you war an empty guild, 0 effort into the defenses means no glory reward, or maybe like 5% bonuse exp or something silly, compared to ) 2 guilds fighting for 2-3 weeks, finnally someone wins = maybe 15-20% across the board for a week.

I picture ways SOTA could do this with whats ALREADY CAPABLE of the game. And its something that if they added, could add a TON of value to guilds, PVP and all around replay-ability.

This in turn would lead to player driven content. Which leads to more players. Which leads to more funding. Which leads to a better game.

This is my wet dream for this mechanic. And frankly, they are polishing out gold castles. So.. design 2 keeps. Make a basic zone clone.. i mean this is all stuff i think they could pull off in 1-2 releases and then build off of. This would make PVP soo much better.

Oh. And at LEAST untill game is launched or balancing is done, i would make this instance scale everyone to 80GM in every skill or something. So this way anyone/everyone can do it all the time, relativly fairly. At least untill the game is balanced and hashed out.

Since its a private instance between the 2 guilds, i think that would make sense at least untill its properly *tested*.
    Also adds appeal for me to bring in 5 buddies, and go right into having PVP fun the first day.

Edits as im rambling now, so deal with it --
    Ladders that could be placed on wall with long - no interuption timers..
    Oil to be dropped.

Shaiya ? i think used to have mounted xbows you could build OUTSIDE the opposing teams keep, and then you could basically use it like a long range bow. And we ALREADY have a cover system.. so that adds a ton of fun right htere trying to snipe each other off the walls.. while maybe having heavies trying to opperate a ram to swing on the door.

I dont know how capable they are of having npc guards for each side only hostile to other guild.. so im trying to think of how they coiuld do it without those.

Make the entrance into the zone somewhere in the middle.. so you can actually aim to cut off reinforcements or people trying to bring materials in for repairs and such.
    Make the only Anch's outside of the castle.. So rezzing is important.. So you cant just die and get in maybe?

Maybe have a *hidden entrance* in MULTIPLE locations possible on the KD, so you gotta sneak defenders in, or punch your way in to get into keep under siege. But make the location variable so the siegers never know for sure. (suddenly leaks/spying ) becomes a thing.

Make the goal Guild war Glory + the week long bonuse or buff.. So turn off ransoms maybe? With the scaling of skills, gear becomes relevent, and player skill becomes relevent.
    Maybe add a LOOT win based on the amount of resources the other guild used? Like 25-30% of their total wood used, you get as a win in the end or something.

with the intention of these conflicts taking days - weeks.. the instance would probly average 10-15 vs 10-15 at any peak time? Maybe 30vs 30 for a few hours the first day or during big sieges..
    But this SHOULD be do able - performance wise i would think? Cause if the limit is under that.. then why even have PVP zones in the first place? lol So i know blood bay was running 30 people .. not smoothly but half decently.

Keep the scene simple to keep zone times down.. i would say you really dont need mobs but you could add a SMALL amount of raw materials/animals in it maybe? Anything to keep lag down.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2017
    majoria70 and Aldo like this.
  20. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

@MrBlight i dont think Arena pvp will happen. Wont fit the lore and there are a lot of better Arena pvp Games.

What you described remember me slightly of warhammer online.
    Wasnt that successfull and players allways find ways to exploit or neglect intended mechanics and do something weird to raise some Numbers of Reputation points or whatever.

SotAs PvP is fine but it takes a special approach and too much time to be competetive.

With the lack of players you just have a small base of pvpers level 80+ better level 90 or even 100+

If you just play along you cannot achieve it. Therefore pvp is dead or only for this small pvp playerbase who min max.
    Otherwise no Chance.

I just duelled with someone randomly in Harvest.
    He made one hit and i had maybe 50 HP left, with one strike.

We all know there are people with 800, 900, 1000+ HP
    Do Crits that oneshot a lot of "normal" players etc...

Due to min max grinding the pvp base is small and the incentive of exploring special scenes or 10%xp Bonus isnt worth to flag if you arent the type of player who 100% focus on pvp.

This is no PvP game. There are pvp Scenes and the possibility to flag, but focus of this game is PvE, socializing, decorating etc...

Although i would like to pvp and maybe will do in the future i wont focus on PvP and i think Portalarium need to do a lot more abd more important than developing for more pvp content what is only interesting for a very small amount of players until now or since a lot of pvpers havr already left.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.