Healing PvP flagged party members

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Audacity, Nov 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Audacity

Audacity Avatar

You know I'm all about the pvp, but I will admit the more people flagging complicates the life of a healer, especially the healers who do not want to flag but are grouped with those who are.

We were chatting about this in Discord and this idea came up. It'd be cool if there was an in-between status where folks can flag in groups and still receive heals and rez from nonflagged team members as long as they are not actively engaged in pvp. They would still assume all of the risk of being flagged and once engaged in pvp would lose the ability to be helped by nonflagged friends.

Green- No pvp flag. Cannot be attacked or pickpocketed. Can receive beneficial spells from both flagged and unflagged group members.

Yellow- Flagged for pvp but not engaged in pvp within x timeframe. Can be attacked and pickpocketed. Can receive beneficial spells from both flagged and unflagged group members.

Red- Flagged for pvp and has engaged in pvp recently or currently. Can be attacked and pickpocketed. Can receive beneficial spells from flagged group members only.

2. Silis

Silis Avatar

Yes please!

3. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Ehhhhhhh... while i see what ure saying... i have a pocket healer and what would end up happening is the second we saw a flagged person, the ones engaging first would now have all the heal over times on them right before entering.. which is enough to tilt it. then what about AOE heals n purifys? does it flag the healer if i jump ure buddy n ure aoe hits him?

Think its a neccissary evil that you have to flag to be with a flagged group.

Bow Vale likes this.
  4. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Please never. That would be abused.

Risk vs. Reward

You can't have a system where the risk is taken ala carte. Of course people want to heal but not be attacked. Who wouldn't want that? The problem is that it creates an unfair advantage for the people being healed and the people doing the healing. I understand that it's a social game and people want to spend time together, but we can't throw out the risk in pvp or it unbalances the entire game to the point where being in pvp requires you to have a non-attackable friend constantly healing you.

Black Tortoise and Bow Vale like this.
  5. Luca Xante

Luca Xante Avatar

@Aydy, we had same issue yesterday and we ended up to be all flagged ;) Even @majoria70 was flagged :eek:, that was awesome :p. I feel you and idea is not bad at all maybe but still....PVP flagged is PVP flagged...

6. Grave Dragon

Grave Dragon Avatar

I agree, this needs to be a thing, but Id prefer orange over yellow. Havent ever been a fan of yellow. ;)

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  7. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Rather than change flagging on players, I would still prefer to see flagging done on the effects. So non-PVP players who casts beneficial spells PVP players still see their effect, however if the PVP player engages in PVP within a certain time frame that effect dissipates.

Basically, this would be what I'm thinking:
    • A player who is flagged for PVP is fighting a PVE monster, is at half hit points, and has a poison effect on them. A player not flagged for PVP casts a healing and cure spell on them. The player's health fills up in a different color, and the poison effect is negated (the icon still appears, but is crossed out).
    • If another PVP player then attacks the first PVP player within some time limit (30 seconds?), then the players health immediately drops by the healed amount, and the poison effect takes effect again. This effectively negates the non-PVP player's interference.
    • If the first PVP player is not attacked within the time limit, the health returns to normal (including the heal) and the effect is removed.
    This negates "blue healing", allows players to heal and buff one another in groups and in random encounters without flagging, and promotes cooperation between players.

8. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Not a bag idea but like others have said, it wont work. It could still be used to create an advantage for someone.

9. danjacobsmith

danjacobsmith Avatar

If you are not in PVP mode you should still be able to heal PVP players. Once PVP starts if you heal them you should just be flagged for PVP also but with no loot rights.

The bonus for PVP would be because of loot rights not kill rights. Non PVP players might take the risk of being attacked with this system, but they wouldn't lose anything when they die anyhow.

Elwyn and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  10. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

I would like to hire a personal security detail made up entirely of PVE healers to accompany me when I PVP. I can pay with gold, COTO, and/or fruit baskets. :D

Elwyn, Weins201, Alexander and 3 others like this.
  11. Net

Net Avatar

I think that in party only scenes (and Friends only mode) there should be no PvP flagging.

For the rest of the scenes as long as the only PvPers in the scene are in your party, it is okay. However once unknown PvPer arrives on the scene, you should not be able to heal PvPers without being flagged yourself.

I think the easiest solution would be no flagging in friends only mode and the ability to switch modes when entering a scenes so when PvPer wants the help of PvE healer, they would just joined the scene in friends only mode. They would lose the 25% xp reward, but they would get the help of PvE healer.

Moiseyev Trueden and Gaelis like this.
  12. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Yes even though I see your heart is in a good place for this request @Audacity. :) PVE should not dictate important PVP impacts. To heal our group for example yesterday, we made the choice to flag PVP and like Luca said I rarely do that, but it was a risky and wise decision to make in the circumstances. The game was set up so I had that decision to make, it did not make it an easy choice for me. I consider this as progress. At first I couldnt see why we had to be so punished in weight limits, but now the picture is getting clearer. I can temporarily make the choice to buff up strength, eat a strength giving food, or drink a strength potion. Temporary fixes that make things matter, like cooking, alchemy, and gaining more skill in strength, even sleeping if a 'well rested' gets added as I believe it should.

Choices need to matter in this game. I am a broken record for choices that matter and we all need to be. Make us sleep when we log off to and if we do not we do not receive next day 4 hour resting bonus or starving kicks in, make us eat. Make us achieve for rewards and give built in limitations for not doing things.

Give us smarter UI that records our actions and gives hints. Give us a journal that records our actions or hints of our undone actions, like you have been to ravensmoor is recorded but what we find in ravensmoor if it is discoveries are recorded as well etc. It is one big part of what is missing in this game.
    edited

Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
  13. Browncoat Jayson

Sure. The choice that most of us have made is that, until they make it work better, we don't group with PVP flagged players while in Open Multiplayer. Makes it simple for us, even tho it hurts the game world.

I'd love to help players I run across in the world. But sometimes I can't because PVP.

I'd love to buff players who are standing around. But sometimes I can't because PVP.

I'd love to group with whoever is available to go do things. But sometimes I can't because PVP.

So now I just have to shrug and move on, because I will not PVP. There is just as must separation in the game with the poor implementation of the PVP flag as there would be with a separate PVP server. They have said before they want a unified game world, where you can play with whoever you want to. However, thats not really true at the moment.

14. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I am not a pvp player beleive me, but I do not dictate choices that would determine the outcome of pvp. My point being that we desperately need choices that matter in this game and true some of them effect other things negatively. It was not a bad thing imo in our group yesterday, we even found it fun to work around it. No one was frustrated or upset. Instead of a roadblock we chose to see a challenge and enjoy the ride. I too love to help others and in this case I flagged pvp to do it. A couple of players did not in our group and so they healed each other. I am not disagreeing with you wanting to assist others, I love to as well. I don't think we should dictate pvp rules though and I sincerely hope we don't take away the challenge of working around things. Otherwise we take away part of what keeps players in a game, which is overcoming the seemingly impossible or improbable, doing the unthinkable even. If a pvp person joins a pve group to kill a troll for example they know to heal themselves and watch themselves. It is their risk because the game needs it and if someone wanders by and kills them which did happen in our group before we flagged then that was still the risk. We chose to flag to help them but some won't and that is another choice we should have.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
    Bow Vale likes this.
  15. Browncoat Jayson

I'm just saying its not a choice. What I'm proposing does not decrease the risk of the player who chooses to engage in PVP, but it makes them viable to group with players who will not do so.

I will never flag for Open PVP, except when I visit a PVP scene (in which case I take precautions not to risk any of my gear). I'd love to be able to invite players regardless of their personal PVP flag, but if they cannot meaningfully contribute because of that flag, there is no point. It isn't about what they want risk, its what risk they bring to the group. Therefore, I don't group with PVP flagged players.

That takes away my choice.

16. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

And THIS is why it has to stay the way it is.

Done

End of Story

17. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

I agree that there should be a way to be able to play with a PvP person doing PvE stuff without having to flag PvP. I've got no issues with not being able to assist PvP players while they are fighting each other, but when there isn't another PvP engaging them they should still be able to receive benefits from being grouped with other players.

Also, I'm strong advocate for being able to buff and heal non-grouped PvE players. Stupid that they removed that as it was a great way to meet and help new people.

Net likes this.
  18. Net

Net Avatar

I can somewhat understand that but non grouped guildies and friends should be healable. Even stranger is PvP where everyone out of party is enemy and CANNOT be healed or rezzed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.