Hello New player kinda confused.

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by Letalis, Oct 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Letalis

Letalis Avatar

Just started the game picked a path as a ranger atm. Completed the starting zone really enjoyed it was kinda refreshing from standard MMO.

I purchased some leather armor from a player npc and a maple bow, then entered a catacombs things started to die kinda fast at the start until I reached some elves further inside that made me retreat I could not take a full group on so I left and found an entrance to a spectral mine then got destroyed :(

do armor and weapon upgrade not really add much? I felt so weak against these mobs. Also.
    Quest XP what happens to this? also is it possible to find a cloak or craft one ingame ?

I did ask this on Reddit but was told it is not the best place atm :(

2. Numa

Numa Avatar

The catacombs tend to be tough for new players unless you're grouped and are at a starter level catacomb like the one in Soltown. I'm guessing you're on the Path of Love (bow) so you'll need open ground to manuever in as a bowman. Each adventure zone/area has a wooden pole at the entrace with skulls - find a one skull (Tier 1) zone that your avatar can handle.

There are also beginner areas called Outskirts which are great for quest xp and gold :

Solace Bridge Outskirts - east of Solace Bridge (this is the one probably nearest you)
    Highvale Outskirts
    Bloody River Outskirts

Sotamap.com is also an excellent 3rd party map which you can use to find your way around. It's actually integrated into the game and can be triggered by Ctrl-M (if that doesn't work just map it to another key sequence).

Crafting stations can be found in most major NPC towns , there's a set in Soltown which also has crafting quests for you to undertake. POTS (player owned towns) often have a full set too. The Outlander Welcome Center is a POT which is specifically designed to be newcomer friendly, I highly recommend you visit it.

Friend me ingame (Numa Vorlanos) and I'll try to help you out when I'm online.

3. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Hi @Letalis, and welcome!

I'll start with easy answer. Viola tells me that yes, you can craft cloaks.

All XP goes into your XP Pool. If you push K to open your Skills Tree, look in the lower right corner. That number is your pool. Skills that you are training (they have a green up arrow next to them) take points from that pool to increase. If you lots of skills training they will drain that pool down to nothing, and all your skills will go up slowly. If you have no skills training (click the green arrow to turn it to a line, now that skill is no longer training) then the pool will go up quickly and when you do train a skill, it will have a lot more points to work with.

If that just confused you more, sorry. The XP system is a bit to get used to, but once you do it is a pretty interesting way to do it IMO.

Probably the single greatest thing you can do to enjoy your experience is get hooked up with other players, for advice at least, but to play with if you are in Multiplayer. I'm glad you came here, there is also Discord for instant, always on help. https://discord.gg/8tctQcw It's also a great way to find out about Events. I know it can sometimes feel empty to new players, but there's actually quite a bit going on, you just need to know where. Last weekend there were release parties, crafting events, a concert, auction, role playing events, and probably more, that's just what I found out about.

There's a high barrier to entry, but once you get past it the world opens up and there is a ton of stuff to do in your own play style.

As for weapons and armor, yes, they do have a big effect. What kind of gear did you get? Is it Maple Long Bow + something? Or just Maple Long Bow? Either way, @Numa is right, after finishing the Solace Bridge Outskirts (not just the Battle of Solace Bridge) then hit up the East Perenial Trail, and other 1 skull areas, until you can move up to 2 skulls.

Whew! I hope some of that helped. Feel free to friend me in game, same name, and I'll answer any questions you have at the time, and may even be in the area to help.

4. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

Welcome @Letalis! Although not an expert like others here, I would argue that the player crafted armor does matter but the cost can be high. The really high end gear (+10, enchanted, masterwork, etc.) can definitely buff you up, but it can cost tens of thousands of gold to acquire these items. If you can find some mid-range gear that that fits into your play style you can definitely use this for a very long time effectively. Also, if you want to add me in game Cordelayne Valkaris, I would be happy to set you up with a decent set of gear, if it's helpful.

5. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Greetings @Letalis! Glad to see the community here helping you along your way, and glad you are enjoying the game!

Moiseyev Trueden, Letalis and Numa like this.
  6. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

@Letalis

Greetings traveler.

When you enter a new area look around you for a skull sign. That is how dangerous the area is. The more skulls the worse it gets. Early on stay in 1 skull and maybe try 2 skull but flee for 3 and above.

Elves in a catacomb sounds like Solania catacombs which is 3, spectral is about a 3-4 IIRC.

Next time you start the game. Select "Start on overland" and once loaded then in the upper right click the arch and select SotaMap (don't use it too much in scenes due to spoilers but it's great for overland).
    Then see how to get back east and south where you want Soltown, East Perennial, Solace Bridge and Solace Bridge outskirts.

Well at least until you have accumulated some more skills.

Feel free to friend and whisper questions my way.
    Or seek out the new player section and find the discord link for the hospitaller chat.

Happy hunting

Spoon

7. Rhiannon

Rhiannon Avatar

Hello Letalis! I'm not much of an adventurer (I own three shops that keep me pretty busy) so I can't help you with those questions. It appears that a few of my fellow Avatars have already given you good advice and I would bet by the end of a couple of days, this thread will be pretty massive with an overload of help. I would suggest you reach out for help when you need it, friend some/all of the folks in this thread and enjoy the journey!

Welcome to New Britannia!

8. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

9. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Oh, and don't forget to take the Test at the Oracle! 500 gold per day.

FrostII and Stundorn like this.
  10. Luca Xante

Luca Xante Avatar

Letalis and Stundorn like this.
  11. Letalis

Letalis Avatar

Thank you all for the warm welcome and advice much appreciated, a lot has been made clear to me but no doubt I will be lost again in no time.

12. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

if oyu see me in Game (add Grumpie Weinie ) friend me ask me anything and I will gladly take you around and help you out with areas they might be a little tough.

I will also gladly add you to voice chat and help out with nay questions -

Most definitely go to the Player Created resource pages and look up any information you can find on decks / deck building / skills . . . .

There is a lot of information already made up to help you out :)

Welcome / Good Luck / and Add me (find me in game :) )

FrostII, Letalis and Cordelayne like this.
  13. chrisjwhite

chrisjwhite Avatar

Also if you look at the mobs name it will be different colors based on difficulty for you. The colors in order are green, yellow, orange, and red. Green being easiest. The colors are even slightly different shades.
    Once you go up in levels you will see that what once was yellow is now green, orange now yellow, etc.

If you don't see a name above the head hit the 'N' key.

FrostII and Letalis like this.
  14. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

A Seer walks the Grey Path an wishes he could erase some knowledge and forsees he had.
    Welcome to New Britannia Outlander.
    All the others already gave you good advice.
    I have one additionally, don't haste, although there is so much to learn and to explore, but hear this from a wise *cough* man, the journey is the destination.
    Don't take too much gifts and help from others and betray yourself from making your own experience, but sure ask for help and dont refuse ones support and gifts.
    Now you know all you need to find your own path.
    Safe ways.

Stundorn Stureson,
    Seer of Drachental, Seidmen of Gladsheim and Pilgrim of the Grey Path.

Letalis and Cordelayne like this.
  15. Lazarus Long

Lazarus Long Avatar

Welcome to Novia @Letalis !

Seems you already have plenty of helping hands here.

But as many before me have said. If you need any help or have any questions feel free to shout out.
    Loads of GREAT folks here willing to lend a hand including myself.

Add me in game Lazarus Long. FYI. Friends makes travel a whole lot easier ... make lots of friends :)
    Use the link below and come say HI!

Laz

Letalis likes this.
  16. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

Welcome to SOTA @Letalis ! Armor and Weapon upgrades can only carry you so far. Your Adventurer Skills are what will make the foundation of your avatar. When you kills things exp is added to your Adventurer experience pool. In turn, if you have the arrow of any skill set to Green the Exp in your Adventurer pool is applied to that skill to raise it. Also, if you have a skills arrow set Yellow(Maintain) then, when you die, exp from the pool is used to make sure that skill doesn't drop. If a skill is set to Red(Not Training), then those skills will simply decay(they won't decay if they are below the prerequisite for the next tier of spells.) It is up to you to manage how many skills you are training at a time. If you have too many skills training and not enough exp coming into the pool, you will eventually get to zero in your pool. If this happens, when you die, your skills can lose levels because you don't have enough exp to maintain them. There are many skills to choose and focus on, so study them and pick the ones you think will best suit your play style.

There are tons of resources here in the forums, on Wiki's, and videos tutorials on YouTube to help you along the way. Also, here is a link to the official player guide. This will be updated if things change...

Player Guide

Letalis and Vladamir Begemot like this.
  17. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Welcome Letalis. Wow you have gotten some great help so far from the friendly community. I too want to add my welcome to you. How you see and experience the game as a new player is important information since this game is still in development. I am Majoria in game if I can ever assist please friend me.

Also a few tips for where to find things. So combat toggle is 'z' which refreshes hit points and focus faster to leave combat after a battle.

O is your emotes and you can find more in your travels and other players can trade you more emotes if they are tradeable ones. For example you can also type in the chat window /wave and wave and /bow etc.

As mentioned 'k' is to see skills 'crafting' and 'combat' skills as you see on the tab. 'I' is for inventory. 'J' is for journal.

'Y' is to set up decks. Also this is a bit of a complex system but as mentioned can be really fun to play around with. Also later you can do a quick change like create decks for different experiences. Like an undead deck which you would put a lot of banish undead skills on and other important skills that will help you against them. You also may have a city clothes deck where you want to be dressed in your finery while in town.

Also Don't forget to get your non combat utility bar by speaking to a crafting trainer or trainer, whoever mentions it. there you can drag your recall and teleport scroll icon from your inventory. You should find a few in your bank.

'F' is for friends list to add players and also you can right click another player to see options as well as right clicking their name from your friends list if you have added them.

Other players may have crafting recipes to trade with you so you don't have to buy each and every one of them.

We also have music in this game. There are many instruments you can play without skill. To play you need the instrument equipped and a sheet music another player has made or you can download your own abc or another type which my 'before coffee' brain can't think of ;).

So that is a bit of a tutorial if you are interested in having your own music saved to files in the game, but sheet music is lots of fun, if you don't care to mess with getting your own files. For example in Wizards Rest in Hidden Vale behind Owlshead (take the boat on the overland map by the water by brittany to get to Hidden Vale). So we do have a sheet music vendor in Wizards Rest who sells sheet music, but for me I'm always happy to share and I carry songs around to pass out freely to others to experience this wonderful system in our game.

There are also a few artifacts you can find or buy that give buffs from playing songs, like the fleet flute etc. To play a sheet music drag it on to your non combat bar or right click it in your inventory and your character will play the song with the equipped instrument.

We have blessing shrines that give you a long buff and an oracle building seen with a red glowing eye gives you 500 xp and 500 gold each day, but those are available to you from visiting most player owned towns too that will be closer to your starting areas.

You can also bind to a town from a town crier to recall back to. You cannot teleport if encumbered though so beware of that. If you don't have a lot deed and have just the basic account then look for rentals, or as mentioned if you are ok for it, there are towns who offer free housing to new people.

I do hope your experience won't be too overwhelming, we can all be so helpful, it may be a bit scary. If that happens just say if you want to see much of the game for yourself first and then if you need or want just know we are here. *cheers* and happy adventuring to you.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
    firesparx, Letalis, Numa and 3 others like this.
  18. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

weapon and armor upgrades are numero uno

19. Timmy Vortex

Timmy Vortex Avatar

Welcome Letalis! I made it to adventure level 80 i think it was without player crafter gear, but i wouldn't recommend it :p Hope you keep on having fun :D

20. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

Made gear makes a difference however it isn’t essential. You’re an archer. You aren’t really designed to be hit. So mobs will take great chunks out of you.

There are a goodly number of defensive skills you can work on to help with being squishy. They may not always last long but the idea of course is damage hard and they will be dead and you don’t need them to

majoria70 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.