Hi i am new and got some questions...

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by Saberhagen2501, Mar 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Saberhagen2501

Saberhagen2501 Avatar

Hi there,

i started playing last week and got my way really quick. I loved UO back in 1997 and this game is as close as it could be, just loving it.

But i got a few questions...

I am grinding money to buy myself a small home for the living, just like back in the old days. Is there any way to buy a lot deed ingame WITHOUT participating in any lottery?

I know one can buy them in Add-On store and from other players at the marketplace here but is there an NPC Vendor, selling this deeds?

At the marketplace, many players sell lots without deeds.... but what does "without deed" mean? Dont you need the deed for your property claim?

As far as crafting goes, is there still the possibility to research the recipies through trial and error or do i really have to buy all of them for 250g each?

Many questions.... thx in advance

Greets

2. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

Hi @Saberhagen2501 ... welcome to SotA...

Yes... you can buy from other players... if you go to Owl's Head, New Britannian Market and other towns... you might find Player Vendors that sell Deed for in-game gold...

It's exactly what it means... they are only selling the location of the lot... but the deed to the lot is not included.... ^_^

before you can learn recipes by simply knowing and getting the ingredients and putting them in the crafting station... not anymore though... you'll have to get the recipe but there are Avatars out there who are willing to teach their recipes to other Avatars for free...

Goodluck and have fun in New Britannia... ^_^

Berek and Roycestein Kaelstrom like this.
  3. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

there is not.

it means they've staked a location and are offering to turn it over to you. there are plenty of lots left in game, this shouldn't be necessary unless you really want to live somewhere specific that's full.

you can learn lower-level ones by discovery.

4. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

The deeds only available from the add-on store, deed raffle (lotterie) , player marketplace or ingame player vendor.
    I once saw a taxed row deed from a player vendor for 60k gp. I recommend the player marketplace or searching the player vendors in owls Head, Brittany and some big and common spots.

Some recipes are explorable , most cooking for example, but many need to be buyed now. Some can be shared from other players and some make events of sharing recipes and emotes.

5. Saberhagen2501

Saberhagen2501 Avatar

Yay thx for the fast response! Ok now i understand the without deed thingy. So i have to bring my own deed and they just sell the location by clearing them so i could claim my lot there with my own deed. Okay thats really not necessary.

Well then i guess i have to look out for player vendors selling a small lot cheap :)

Ah i almost forgot.... is it intended that the green bandits in Soltown Catacombs give the same amount of gold and item loot as an orange mob in a 3-Skull area? Does the loot get better later on? :)

6. ship2

ship2 Avatar

@Saberhagen2501 If you are just starting out, consider this... there are many Town Owners who are happy to grant you full use of a house to get started in. Also, if you join a guild many of them also help new players/members by letting them use a house. It could take several months depending on how aggressively you level up (and time you invest) to get to a point where you can really generate in-game wealth. I know folks will regularly post in the "welcome" forum offering that kind of help to new users.
    Welcome to SOTA :)

7. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

8. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Haha, sorry but unfortunately no!

One day you can go Serpent Spine Foothills or Twins Foothills where the Bandits drop something more worth than rusty and shady crap, but this topic is something most players asked to be overworked.
    Making Gold is not very easy I guess.

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  9. Saberhagen2501

Saberhagen2501 Avatar

Jesus! :)
    So even i a 5-Skull Hardcore "the mobs will eat me in seconds" dungeon zone they drop about 20g and rusty dagger? This is ridiculous :)

10. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Yes and yes it is :rolleyes:

11. Saberhagen2501

Saberhagen2501 Avatar

So i guess money making is all about crafting and selling that stuff ...

12. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

Loot table is not quite fully flesh out yet. However the profit from hunting mobs will come with selling loots. The values of the loots vary depending on the mob difficulty. E.g., a rusty sword from low level is not worth as much as a halberd drop by bandits and fighters 4-5 skull zones. We're talking about 10-20 GP vs 50-60 go per item here.

Harvesting ore and wood can be very profitable, but they are subjected to player's demand. Although right now you probably can still fetch good money from selling those resources in bulk.

firesparx likes this.
  13. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

But there are not many t4/5 zones where the mobs drop Halberds or Warhammers, I just know the both mentioned above.
    In many Scenes they drop rusty crap, although it's 5 skull.

Selling crafted items may be a way to make gold, but profit , I doubt it atm. Economy is meh.
    Best income is selling bulk of materials that crafters need , harvest wood , silver and such things , but it depends on what people want to buy.
    The rares from harvesting nodes like beetle carapaces, pecan nuts, some barks or suet, tin and tungsten are good for making gold.

I am not a grinder, and also a mage who need to buy reagents. I wasn't able to survive a long time until I made some compromises.
    I often was at zero gold and happy if I made 10k plus in a week. If I use reagent spells I always would make minus gold. Skilling those spells is costy as hell.
    When I was able to kill the Serpent Spine Foothills Bandits in a bulk with low level spells without costs i was able to make some plus.
    But as I said I have grinding and so I just do this 1 or 2 times and make about 4000 Gold in 1 hour.
    There are ways people make a lot more , but I never achieved it and I never get to it, maybe it's because i cannot and won't repeat things for hours and grind my ass off.
    A fast way to make money I guess is if you are higher level and you go into t1 Zone you can clear the zone in some minutes and have maybe 500 gold of rusty loot and some wood and such what later can be placed at a public vendor (owls head is the most visited one).
    If you can clear a t1 Zone in 5 Minutes and that's 500gold ... The rest is math (but not fun :p)

But think of your XP as well, you need to fight in an appropriate scene (yellow mobs) to get good XP to develop.
    Find a compromise or split and go for what's more in your interest atm.
    Don't expect to collect the gold for a deed in a week or two, except you are a powergamer like grinding.
    Then level up the right skills quickly and find a way to be max efficient.
    There are ways to do that, but I can't tell you because I don't know very well as I am not able and don't want to play like this.

But one tip, increase innates to raise stats and skill stat buffs int (sun) , dex (subterfuge) and str (earth), learn heavy lifter to carry more loot you can sell. Concentrate on single skills when raising them, have a big XP pool to skill faster single skills. Some people have millions, I have between 50k and 200k pool, depends on what groups I go with (I hate boss spawn camping and grinding a boss with mode switch e.g.).
    Go with some higher levels in t5 and build up your XP pool. At your level you will have a huge increase what helps you developing.
    It's not beeing pushed by highlevels, it's intended to work like this . Grandmasters in your group give you a bonus while using/ skilling the same skill.
    Don't use spells that cost reagents! Or use them less.

14. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

Actually the higher level enemies have a better chance of dropping rare items like recipes and artefacts, but in terms of gold you're much better off with a bunch of lower level enemies you can kill quickly with AoE.

Crafting is not actually very profitable, particularly at the lower end. As pointed out above crafting resources are much easier to sell for worthwhile money (i.e. for significantly more money than you invest). My advice to lower level players is to seek out the roaming encounters as they contain a number of resources nodes (including gold and silver ore, which there is good demand for) which can be harvested in some cases (skeleton/dog encounters) without any combat at all and in others (bandits/deer) by combat against one enemy at a time if you're careful.

Editing to say: don't forget to visit new towns and talk to the Town Criers for 100g each on the first time, and visit the Oracle every day for 500g. Mail quests can also be a quick way of making a little gold if you're really short of cash.

15. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

That would be slightly incorrect.

They are poor bandits regardless of level so they will still only drop the 20g or so. However their weaponry and potential other drops increase. So for instance there are bandits who drops halberds etc.
    But that distinction is small when compared to that t5 mobs can drop rare items.
    So for instance, a t1-3 bandit will not drop Crowns of the Obsidians, but a t5 bandit could.

But what you are also looking for in the 5-skull scene is of course not just bandits, but rather creatures/bosses which drops those resources which are high value in the player marketplace. So even if you look through the loot and it only says its worth 2-8g, then such resources could fetch hundreds or thousands of gold in the Player Marketplace.

For instance bandits could wield specific weapons which when salvaged could drop a "pattern", those patterns can then be sold right now for thousands of gold on the player marketplace.

Etc.

So there are other ways of getting rich than selling the loot to NPCs.

16. Astor Cerberus

Astor Cerberus Avatar

Thanks for the mention @Kabalyero

@Saberhagen2501 - Feel free to come check out Knight's Watch. The housing program I run is aimed just at people like yourself. I aim to help you find your feet. Once you're at high level you'll likely be able to afford to save up to buy a deed for gold and afford the taxes. In the meantime, come check out what Player Owned Town life if like, play with the housing and deco system and make sure it's for you. Then if and when you're ready to dive in feet first, you're welcome to make a permanent home there or in another town where you've found friends or guild mates.

Not to take away from @Rosemourne 's efforts here too though. He runs a similar system and is a very trustworthy community member.

Good luck!
    Astor Cerberus

Kabalyero likes this.
  17. ACryInShame

ACryInShame Avatar

Hello @Saberhagen2501
    First, let me welcome you to SOTA. This game can be very daunting at first and you are not the first to ask these questions. Currently, I am working on video tutorials to answer these any many other SOTA related questions. You can check out my youtube playlist for tutorial videos. I plan to add more videos about SOTA every week till I can't think of anything to add. If there is a particular topic you need assistance in please let me know and I'll move the video higher on my to-do list. In the mean time people on the forums (As you can tell) are always happy to help.

So quick run down on 'discoverable' crafting recipes. When you go to buy a recipe there are 3 types.
    1. Re-Teachable : these you can discover and learn on ur own, or taught by another player. If you are taught by a player, you can teach to others
    2. Teachable : these another player can teach you, but you (as the pupil) cannot teach another till u learn it through a recipe
    3. Not Teachable : Recipe Only

If you need any help while ur on feel free to message me IGN ACryInShame Journeyman

Berek and Kabalyero like this.
  18. Dereck Visaard

Dereck Visaard Avatar

that kinda stinks....what about the players who want to earn their chops through trial and error? seems imbalanced to me. i get that you want to preserve commerce, but there should be some ability for 'self-taught' IMHO.

19. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Greetings and salutations! I can see you are already getting some great help here, thanks community for the warm welcome to Saberhagen2501!

firesparx likes this.
  20. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Hi there veramocor and welcome. Oh and loot tables are still being worked on too;) Believe me loot tables are better many times than they were, but the Devs know they need work, along with a zillion other things, so that is the good news lol;). I am majoria in game if I can ever help and also I'd be happy to teach recipes and emotes as well to you. Just send me a whisper sometime ;)

firesparx likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.