Housing is ruining the game

Discussion in 'Housing & Lots' started by Lord_Darkmoon, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lollie

lollie Avatar

The real issue is affecting you other people's game experience adversely, which is PVP territory.

This game is not open PVP everywhere, so you can't destroy other people's stuff.

If they made separate maps for more organised PVP activity (like make and capture bases and destroy other people's bases) I'm sure they'll be able to figure out a way to make flames appear for everyone :3

Net likes this.
  2. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

That's not PVP. Housing is PVE - and just how combat in PVE wrecks gear and weapons it isn't really that far of a reach to think NPC town sieges could destroy player crafted items. So long as it's not add-on or pledge items it would be pretty epic if a town siege was on the actual town.

3. lollie

lollie Avatar

No something affecting other people's houses is an attack on the player. No game wrecks another player's house, except in PVP situations as with guild houses.

It would only happen in PVP.

4. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

huh? I thought PVE meant player verses environment? The environment here being a NPC town siege... I think you're getting your arguments confused.

If my pledge homes or add-on store homes were razed I'd be pretty upset - but if a horde of Kobold stormed the town I was in and burned my crafted home to the ground - that would be cool! Everything in the home that was player crafted could burn and I'd be ok with that - this being a PVE consequence and all... all my add-on/pledge items could just default to the bank.

Imagine the risk/reward of defending the town... if the consequences were so high that it affected supply/demand on the player economy.

5. yarnevk

yarnevk Avatar

They could damage homes which would require repairs or COTO to fix, the promise was only that people will not lose stuff they paid for. Of course you could pay extra for stuff that does not get damaged. It gives reason to build a fort wall around your house.

The AI package for NPCs can change during town seige, no longer standing there doling out quests, but instead run and hide. Like Skyrim if they are critical to a quest they could just bend a knee and not die. Not as good as consequences, but at least you are getting a town invasion rather than a gate blocker.

Playing Wurm Online was terrifying when a troll comes and starts bashing your door in, and gives you that rebuilding phase and vengeance to kill the troll. Disaster brings neighbors together. A staged encounter blocking the town gate access is not even remotely the same feeling.

6. lollie

lollie Avatar

What I am saying if you'll just follow along, is no game allows player home destruction outside of PVP, so if people want to see other players' houses destroyed they'll need to request some kind of organised PVP maps that allow housing destruction.

Maybe some kind of capture hold and destroy scenario.

And I'm sure Port will figure out a way to show you all some flames at the same time.

7. yarnevk

yarnevk Avatar

Did you really just ignore my posts pointing out other games that wrecks a house then say no game wrecks a house.
    Wurm Online does it in PVE servers. Ark Survival Evolved does it in PVE servers. PVE means the mobs damage the players, their gear and their houses. PVP means other players do it. There are many people that are more than willing to let PVE mobs do it, but hate the drama created from PVP doing it.

All it means is it cost time to restore your house to pristine condition because you failed to defend your house. It gives you incentive to defend and if not, incentives revenge.

Or they could just stage an invasion that leaves your house standing, and you can watch the town burn around you with your plot armor on. But cart before the horse, because as the game engine stands now the town cannot burn around you - that is why it is a gate blocker scene instead. So not worth arguing about the features of how a town burns when it cannot happen.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2016
  8. lollie

lollie Avatar

Those are survival games or games nobody normal plays, Wurm Online is notorious for being a griefer's paradise. ARK is b2p then nothing else again. This game however (SotA) asks for our money constantly and so needs to constantly woo us, or we will leave and take our money with us.

So unless Port wants to lose every single paying customer and cater to the grindy never buy anything PVP types this won't be happening.

Go petition for some organised PVP activity and stop blaming housing, which is paying for this game, for your inability to wreck other players' game experience.

9. yarnevk

yarnevk Avatar

Wurm Online requires monthly deed fees just like SOTA. It has RMT market just like SOTA. It has PVE and PVP modes just like SOTA. It is a medieval simulator just like SOTA. It has low server population just like SOTA. It is a grindy MMO just like SOTA (actually worse as it takes years to grind not merely weeks) It serves a niche market of players wanting decades old gameplay just like SOTA does.

But your statement about Wurm Online griefing is not factual - on PVE no player can grief any other players property, you cannot damage it at all. This is really annoying if you want a friend to help you remodel a fence, as they cannot help you at all (unless they join your deed, which they cannot if they have their own deed, maybe the permissions update fixed this though). PVE can even blacklist players to get killed on sight if they so much as set foot on their property even for just being a troll in chat, so only potential griefing is easily prosecuted. The only real PVE griefers are bug exploiters taking advantage of broken security , and they get banned unless it was demonstrated to be a fault of players ignorance.

Only the in-game troll monsters can bash your door down, same as they can bash you down. Why are you making a distinction about having to repair your armor and weapon after fighting, but not your stone fence? It makes no sense. Of course if you paid extra for the right of no repair on these things, then those items are safe (just like they are in PVP) But by your definition every mob in the game is already griefing you because they are ruining things that are on your person. Not so, only players can grief other players, when mobs do it is called gameplay.

But by your definition Richard Garriot is the prime griefer, because burning the town down and defending your home was in his KickStarter pitch! He does not consider this wrecking your experience, he considers it immersive gameplay. The point of this thread is that vision of RG is not happening because of the limitations housing has placed on what can be done to a scene.

Kambrius likes this.
  10. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

I can't help but think that we got into this situation because the whole concept of the game changed during development. During the Kickstarter campaign there was no mention of a player driven economy. This was introduced later. And lo and behold suddenly people are questioning the selective multiplayer part because it interferes with the player driven economy.
    We had town sieges with burning towns and houses as well as a focus on quests and choices with consequences during the Kickstarter campaign but due to some housing fans who have a big wallet the housing feature was put into focus which lo and behold interferes with the sieges, the quests, the choices and consequences....
    It's like it suddenly doesn't matter anymore that more than 22.000 backers gave money for what was promised during the Kickstarter campaign. After all they got this money already.
    The game was story driven in the beginning and according to the Kickstarter and the videos shown it was a very different concept.
    It seems that some big spenders pushed the game into different directions and now everything is just pure chaos. Everything interferes with each other, the quests seem to be tacked on and are simply not fun - so much for a story-driven game. There may be choices but no real consequences.
    The only thing that works and is fun for those who are interested in it is the housing. Because of the flow of money this is where the focus is.
    But fans of great quests, real and visible consequences to choices, a dense atmosphere, immersion, single player etc. are left with a pile of shards of ideas that could have been but are no longer possible... And I say: housing is to blame... Sorry but this is my opinion.

11. Swan

Swan Avatar

Really? nobody normal plays them... those games have many times more players than this, so you could say.. nobody normal play this game lol

This i can agree, i only see this game anymore as "house of the avatar and showcase of addon items"
    im already taking my money with me, got already 10x more then i putted into, so lucky me i guess?

Shame.. i really expected much of this game from kickstarter,
    truth is we having 90s mmo team that try to do modern mmo, seems we getting worse of both worlds
    *old kinqs quest type story/quest system(type and try guess exact word npc wants) + modern try to please everyone concept

this just my opinion, hope i dont hurt anyone feelings :3

12. yarnevk

yarnevk Avatar

If you have an astrolabe you can study the skies for advance warning....they are not random attacks. Of course you have to discover what the skies mean - the game is not going to text you the time and date.

Alexander likes this.
  13. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

You must know me by now and thus know that I am absolutely not into PvP.

Alexander likes this.
  14. yarnevk

yarnevk Avatar

You are not the moderator. You are the one trying to turn this into a PVP argument when it has absolutely nothing to do with PVP.

PVP is other players attacking other players and their property. Town raids by monsters has absolutely nothing to do with PVP. The Kickstarter video was showing a PVE town being burnt by PVE monsters, it also had nothing to do with PVP.

The monsters already target other players swords and armor to destroy them, so answer why should your fence be off limits.

I have no doubt that PVPers want to be able to raid PVP POT's, and they should indeed post their own thread for that to happen. I could care less because I am not a PVPer, I am a PVE player that wants the PVE gameplay shown in the video. The gameplay that I paid $K for which is magnitudes more than I have paid for any other games lifetime.

By your argument the current implementation of town raids being nothing but a gate blocker is PVP griefing. You as a player are denied entrance into the town, you are being forced to fight or sneak thru the warcamp. How dare Richard Garriot force you into such an activity against your will, he should be reported to the devs as a griefing PVPer for blocking access to your house.

Fister Magee and Ahuaeynjgkxs like this.
  15. lollie

lollie Avatar

I'm not moderating anything, I'm suggesting you should regroup and direct your efforts, but hey, don't take some good advice then :3

16. yarnevk

yarnevk Avatar

I have no intention about posting for PVP features, nor is the OP because we have clearly stated we are in this for PVE features that was promised. So drop the PVP character assassination attempts, it has zero application to this topic.

We are not the ones blaming housing for the lack of these PVE features, the devs are the ones blaming housing. We are providing feedback during an early access alpha that they need to find a way to fix it so housing and the advertised PVE features can both exist. This is very important because once people are tired of spending money and grinding on a house, they will want to have an actual game to play. One that resembles the Richard Garriot promise of consequential gameplay. Just because a game has consequences does not mean it is PVP.

I never played ESO in the PVP zone, yet I watched towns burn around me that I tried to save. And next year I will be able to have a house, pretty sure the devs are not going to remove the burnt down towns just so you can have a house, or tell me I have to go to PVP to see houses burn.

17. redfish

redfish Avatar

I don't think it makes sense for sieges to permanently destroy things, because that would mean you couldn't have a vacation from the game without coming back and finding everything destroyed. One thing that I've always felt was important is that the game is designed in mind with the fact that people have real lives.

Coming into a town under siege and seeing everything boarded and on fire would have been nice though. And perhaps after the siege having all the buildings modified with soot to look burned and perhaps have some of the outside facade broken in. They could even have it so you need to pay to repair the facade... although it might make more sense for it to just be repaired over time because again that's an imposition on people's real lives and punishing them for being offline. A middle ground might be town residents contributing to a fund to repair everyone's homes in the town, or just to speed up the automatic repairs.

But one could imagine part of the taxes you pay also help pay for insurance. :D

Kambrius and Net like this.
  18. Daigoji Gai

Daigoji Gai Avatar

I wish I could click a LOVE button for this flashback. Home Sweet Home. Good times. Can I also say how jealous I am that you still have screenshots from your days in UO. I wish I had that old rusty spinner HD that died with all my UO and Tabula Rasa memories on it. Hugs!

Safe journeys kids.

Kaisa and Ahuaeynjgkxs like this.
  19. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

OMG a dream game, with importance put on virtue and community and companionship instead of material possessions !!! That sounds fun :)

20. Andrew Silverston

Andrew Silverston Avatar

POTs are optional, yes, but the game elements supposed to extend to POTs. At least those who want, should be given a chance to have their POTs converted to allow these game elements. I hate how the POTs are completely excluded from every darn thing in this game. Nobody talks about having POT as a requirement to play a game, but to have POTs NOT be excluded from every blasted thing this game has to offer. I hate thinking about POT as if it was some kind of a trove of virtual items and nothing else, which that is exactly what POTs are right now, and nothing else.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.