How a (short) loot time would help shared combat experiences

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by redfish, Aug 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redfish

redfish Avatar

Yea, as far as I'm concerned its a matter of when the player pauses to look at stuff. And we're made to pause anyway because of server lag, and then we wait for respawns, as well as we would for party members for rolls. So its killing many birds with one stone. Its one of those things that sounds counter-intuitive to some, but would help I think.

Mishikal likes this.
  2. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

We have the slowest harvesting of any game I know. Like harvesting looting as well. It could be cut in half at least. That's what makes harvesting so very boring. It is way over done on the time it takes to harvest anything. And looting for me is quick with spamming the e key.

edited

Last edited: May 9, 2019
  3. redfish

redfish Avatar

@majoria70

Loot is immediate except for lag...

Harvesting is a different issue, although I'm not sure speeding everything up will make the game more fun. The reason its boring is its grindy. For example, for fishing they could add an active component where you get prompted to pull in the catch. That's all another thread, though.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  4. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Yes you're right I was comparing looting with harvesting which is not comparable. I will fix the wording. I think looting is fairly fast especially if you use the e key well for me it is.

5. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

As long as the corpse is within range, you can loot while fighting and harvesting.

6. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

In my experience, the server has to be queried to generate the loot the first time a lootable item is opened. I've noticed that during heavily active periods (particularly weekends) the rate at which the loot window appears increases dramatically, even if the game isn't reporting connection issues. If you have reported connections issues (our favorite X in the top right corner of the UI), then forget about it. :p It would be nice if the loot could be generated (at least for corpses) on death, although I assume that causes other problems in the case where people aren't bothering to loot corpses.

7. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

i don't think you can generate it on death when some loot only appears if one has the correct quest flag. it has to be generated for a specific player.

Spoon likes this.
  8. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

Ah right, good point. I largely avoid questing now since it's so buggy, so that's not on my radar. ;)

Cordelayne likes this.
  9. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

:eek: I didn't like this idea before (2016), but now I like it o_O @redfish the visionary :D~TL~

Black Tortoise likes this.
  10. Admiralloyd

Admiralloyd Avatar

wait 10 sec adv for continue play

11. Amariithynar

Amariithynar Avatar

While I like some of it conceptually- giving outer players feedback on your actions is good- a 'lock' of 20 seconds is not long enough, especially as combat can extend past that with someone out of combat running by and training mobs onto someone who was already in combat, and grabbing the loot while they are fighting desperately by just utilizing Escape to drop aggro, Stealth to not pick up extra aggro, and let their target pick it up with AoE or healing or the like. Similarly, adding a time delay is no bueno. There was already a recentish thread about how someone killed something like 6000 mobs in a day, and at 2.5 seconds (avg.) per mob to loot (including server delay), that would be about 4 hours spent just looting. Adding in an animation would be fine, but it would need something to balance it out in return. WoW does this by making it so that it determines loot by tagging- first player/party to hit a mob gets the tag. This can be abused, too, though, by that same troll training a group of mobs to someone to force them to kill them for him- also no bueno. Maybe a good system that deals with that would be something that gives tag initially to those that hit it, but then transfers it if they don't keep attacking it and do enough of a % of damage to the target. 20 seconds *from the moment they stop fighting* before their loot tag expires would also work well, because then you offset issues like that, so training mobs to someone doesn't screw them out of their loot.

Additionally, as I mentioned in the thread talking about the loot time issue, a looting radius (so every piece of loot in nearby corpse containers is gathered into a single virtual container, within a certain radius; could even make it a skill in the Subterfuge tree or similar, called Scavenging, to increase the radius?) would seriously help with looting times in general, while combined with a fixed time looting animation, would be a good balance on that aspect.

Admiralloyd likes this.
  12. redfish

redfish Avatar

@Amariithynar

If you read the OP, the suggestion isn't really for a time delay, since the idea is for it to be fast. But we do wait anyway, both for respawns and for server lag, and killing 6000 in one sitting would make your inventory very enumbered. The encumbrance would slow down your character's movement greatly, making you wait in that regard, too.

Then you go back to town, and you would then be forced to sort out your inventory to separate the junk from the valuables. When we get to the point that we're talking about looting 6000 corpses, we have to really have a separate discussion about whether the game should be designed for that, just like we should talk about whether the game should be designed for harvesting 6000 cotton in one go. Or skinning 6000 wolves in one go (which would be the direct equivalent, since you're fighting wolves, then skinning them with a loot delay). Designing the game for large quantity harvesting and looting ends up making the game very grindy and unfun for a lot of players.

I hope you read some of my later replies, too. I mention other issues I think exist that this would make sense with.

Spoon likes this.
  13. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

And then, if you're collecting scrap, you can only scrap your 6000 weapons in lots of 15 items at a time, further adding to the tedium/grind.

Jaesun, Cordelayne and majoria70 like this.
  14. Amariithynar

Amariithynar Avatar

It was ~6000 in one day, not ~6000 in one sitting, I'm pretty sure. It'd be rediculous to move around with the loot from ~6000 enemies on you, even if you are getting buffed with Uplifting Music for a +3 movespeed that basically makes it so you ignore encumbrance penalties. Also, you were *literally* asking for a time delay, with it requiring a small loot time delay on looting every corpse, so don't try to say it wasn't. I even specifically addressed that in my post.

As for separating out valuables, right-click lock moves them to the top and greys them out. Would take some time, sure, but only a few minutes compared to the literal hours of looting. If you were scrapping it all afterwards, then definitely would take tons more time because of salvaging limits being what they are, but if you're just selling it, it'd go pretty fast, since you can just select the topmost sellable, scroll down, and hold shift when clicking a lower item to select en masse. Assuming you got a gear item 30% of the time, you'd only need to do a little over 7 trades, then; obviously more, if it was done over a day, rather than all at once, as well.

Also, not sure how adding a loot radius or adding a loot lock tag based on being nearby and in combat "designs the game around large quantity harvesting and looting" specifically. Enemies usually come in groups. Doing one loot for the group of enemies immediately at your feet that has (as proposed) a delay, plus any harvesting as with field dressing corpses, would make things easier and faster for everyone, not unfun and grindy.

Lastly, yes, I did read the entire thread (even the nonsense posts by the forum's resident Time Lord) before posting. My post was in response to the entire thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.