How can new players make money?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sol Stormlin, Jun 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sol Stormlin

Sol Stormlin Avatar

I have been playing for a while, and we get new guild members from time to time. I'm curious to know, now that they've gotten rid of halberd bandits, where can a new player go to make money? I think the main concern they have is being able to buy reagents. Yes I can buy them things and give them gold, but they also want to be able to make their own. I'm thinking selling resources like wood, etc. but new players should be saving those up for later use and not selling them.

2. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Stockpiling isn't the answer. Yes, they should keep them if they want to do crafting. If not, good crafters with property have a vendor set up to buy wood, ore, and catalysts. Don't sell to NPCs!

smack and fonsvitae like this.
  3. Trihugger

Trihugger Avatar

You can make decent money when you can kill hardened skeletons. It's not halberd money, but it's about 60-70% as effective. The hardened footment drop vendor identical valued weapons, the mages drop reagents and wands, and the archers drop bows. Pound for pound all these weapons are pretty similar in value to the halberds, but they're naturally not as easily acquired as there are ranged mobs to deal with instead of a happy doofy group of melee mobs with no special abilities to speak of. The crypt in Midras is full of hardened skeletons (maybe too full, there's fucktons of them and they swarm), and Ulfheim also has a good little undead hill/surrounding area of sorts. Ulfheim has some bonus points because there are no skeleton mages there and the potential swarm # of undead is much less. There's also no shitty ghosts.

Alternatively, you can mine and sell iron/copper ore as right now you can just salvage weapons/armor to raise your crafting base skills. I would stockpile the gold and silver though as even if you don't plan on raising enchanting/masterworking yourself, you'll need to bring the materials to someone else for them to do it for you. And with how stupid the system is in terms of BOTH being random in the properties gained AND failure resulting in your item exploding... yea you'll need lots of gold and silver ingots.

Edit: Also, unless you're desperate.... I wouldn't sell much of anything to people's vendors. Very rarely is it not a huge rip off. You can check the wtsell part of the player marketplace and get an idea of what stuff is actually worth and post stuff there once you get a sufficiently enticing stock to sell.

smack, Elwyn, psteg and 2 others like this.
  4. Sol Stormlin

Sol Stormlin Avatar

Thank you Trihugger that is the best advice I've heard in a long while. I agree about the vendors. Thank you for the help! :)

fonsvitae likes this.
  5. Trihugger

Trihugger Avatar

@Sol Stormlin I hope it helps! I forgot to mention, if you still have the summon Samael scroll thingy from the main quest, you can use it in the Crypts even after you've done the quest. Having him around is basically requisite to making that place even worth attempting as I've had I think swarms of 10+ skeletons/ghosts all want my sweet sweet behind for just popping my head into the big room. Word to the wise there: Do NOT go down into that big room until you've cleaned some skeletons out of it first lol.

discipleofweb and Sol Stormlin like this.
  6. Sol Stormlin

Sol Stormlin Avatar

@Trihugger that made me lol. Yeah Cambria just confirmed that, someone she knows said the same thing. Good to know and thank you again :)

7. Father Guido Sarducci

Father Guido Sarducci Avatar

What exactly are you calling "good money"? How much do I need in the bank to say, "I'm comfortable"?

8. Arya Stoneheart

Arya Stoneheart Avatar

There are some Hardened undead in the first part of Elysium. I do a little circle mining gold and fighting those and the Kobalds.

PotSage, Nikko, smack and 3 others like this.
  9. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

understandable
    new players!
    new players?
    i ask myself how new players can summon samael or kill hardened skeletons :confused: ???

1st - save Regs - use 1-2tier spells and see the stronger spells as something moer special - i still often use my Icefist/ Ice Arrow Deck with only a Heal and Blink which need Regs.
    Get Reg saving equip from players/ crafters vendors

Find Mobs what are easy to kill - less regs if you either use T3+ spells - and then kill them a lot ;)

sell ore and rare drops like beetle carapace at owls head public vendor or at the Player Marketplace at the Forum.
    sell Aortic Thrombus, Emeral Ash Borer etc. to a Blacksmith NPC

let nothing off, harvest all and everything, save what you may need for yourself - sell all the others - play the game and do not compare to others.
    other than the PvP Scenes there is no need for any competition, but you are right and i remember very well that surviving in early levels as someone who want to skill
    spells that cost reagencies is very hard - therefor, unlock as many skills in the tree but only use the low tier spells to do damage.

10. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Halbards are not the ONLY thing you can sell . . . . . Every humanoid carries some type of items that can be taken as loot and sold.

This is prob the 5th thread in a week on this topic - Plyer generated resources has videos, posts, rants and even in New player this is posted.

Go kill humanoid type creature loot them, then if you want the best bang for your buck SHOP AROUND.

Elwyn likes this.
  11. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

Most of the stuff that drops any but rusty crap is way out of reach for new players. I believe the answer the devs put in to this question is....

Oracle welfare...

wish there was another option but really they should go to the welfare office located in all major towns and check in once a day to pay for their reagents.

12. Zapatos80

Zapatos80 Avatar

Oracle is always a free 500g daily, always grab that. Then the quests around Soltown & Owl's Head can give you quite a pretty penny to start you off.

For a more renewable source of extremely easy cash though, simply gather and sell ressources. Unless you're planning to spend millions of gold worth into crafting to get to Grandmaster & above, you're a 1000x better off selling the ressources and buying equipment you need. Very, very easy source of cash. You can sell them to player vendors directly (but make sure you check the WTSell forum first to assess value properly), or put it up for sale on a public vendor (with a fee) or on a commission-free vendor if your guild has some up.

Oh, and has as been mentionned above, DO NOT use spells that cost reagents early on. Even at high levels, I use them sparingly for everyday grinding. It is a huge money sink, so use at your discretion.

Nikko, smack and Sol Stormlin like this.
  13. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

Not sure how new you mean, but overland encounters are pretty decent money at low levels.

14. Arya Stoneheart

Arya Stoneheart Avatar

Solace Bridge has a good amount of resource nodes.
    Also Highvale silver nodes and lots of weapons to salvage for wood scraps.

smack and Sol Stormlin like this.
  15. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Last time I played through the Outskirts I was fairly well off by the time I was done. Not loaded, for sure, but WAY better than when we went straight to Soltown in the old days.

BTW I have a vendor in Outlander Help Center, down by the river, who I keep stocked with resource buy orders that are just a little under market value. They should be a better value than using the PV. I haven't updated the prices since the jump in copper/drop in wood though, so yes, they are a bit out of whack. I'll go switch them up now.

I keep them at 10 piece orders also, so that a new player hitting up a scene or two should be able to fill them.

16. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

I literally do not have to buy reagents except for spider silk, because 1: I avoid using too many reagent spells (my main offensive spells are Fire Arrow and Searing Ray), and 2: I harvest the plants when I find them. I don't like fighting spiders much, which is why I have to buy silk every now and then. If you want to Chain Lightning all the things, it can get expensive in terms of reagents.

If you know where to look (nodes don't move!), and when to harvest (nightshade and black pearl at night from Evening to Late Night), it's not hard to even have plenty left over for alchemy. And this is entirely in the wild, no agriculture. I've found dozens of garlic plants around the lands, and there are probably a dozen or so that I always look for as I go by their locations, particularly in encounters.

EDIT: Others are mentioning locations, I'll add mine:
    Solace bridge at night for black pearls and sometimes a bit of spider silk
    Nightshade pass for sulfurous ash
    Skeleton encounters for mandrake and nightshade
    Skeletons anywhere for corpse wax
    Garlic EVERYWHERE, but particularly in encounters

17. Merlota

Merlota Avatar

Just buy it from the established rich players in the forums here. It's how the game is set up.

Sempiternal Dragon likes this.
  18. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

Highvale was the place where I got wood to scrap to raise my carpentry skill.

Sol Stormlin and discipleofweb like this.
  19. Sol Stormlin

Sol Stormlin Avatar

Well let's talk about reagents. I can spend a good 12k maybe more on about 300 of each. In my opinion these are the things a new player will need to be able to afford to get started. Buying up skills (100gp each), basic combat gear (Can vary and sometimes you can get it for free if you know someone but usually a one to a few thousand gp each piece for decent low end stuff), reagents, maybe some recall and teleport scrolls, recipes for crafting skills (250gp each), resources for crafting, possibly renting a row house from someone to store everything (500gp per week), and I'm sure there is more. When I was new I started in the Resolute area, and that little graveyard nearby there was crap for making gold and raising skill. Luckily our guild leader started taking us to places that gave more XP and I was able to get going, but I still didn't have much gold, I had crap armor, and couldn't afford reagents. Eventually our little group was able to do the hally bandits, and that was when I was able to actually make some gold to support reagents and also gain skill and raise decent XP. That way we didn't have to wait for someone to TAKE us somewhere. I saved all of my resources though and that has helped me gain my crafting skills, so I never tell people to sell their resources to npc merchants, but just to save it because one day they will want to use it or trade it for something. Early on I was able to trade my silver ore for nice armor and weapons. So I give this advice as well. ALTHOUGH, let's not even get on the subject of these mines.

I've been to quite a few places, but I posted this to see what other areas there are that are favorable to new players besides the ones I've been to. Also perhaps places I can take them to. I took my friend to Serpent Spine mines and about had a heart attack trying to kill two water elementals that were spamming heals on themselves. Like I said, don't get me started on the subject of the mines lol.

Anyway, I hope I answered your question.

Father Guido Sarducci likes this.
  20. Sol Stormlin

Sol Stormlin Avatar

Yeah but I'm talking more about places where a new player can go alone and make decent money. I'm just wondering if there is a hidden gem out there for them besides the same boring bandit camps and kings road.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.