How Do You Feel About Charged Abilities?

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Fikule, Aug 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fikule

Fikule Avatar

So, auto-attacks can charge up. How about abilities and spells?

I'm thinking, we could have the instant abilities that simply fire off when pressed. But we could also have Next-Attack abilities and spells that are then specifically charged to improve their effect (at the cost of time).

Spells would also need an appropriate weapon. For example, if Fireball was able to be charged, you would need a staff, wand or spellbook to do so, otherwise it would just use the instant-cast instead. This would also allow a magic user to be better distinguished from someone who uses a mix of both.

Some examples:

Ground Pound
    Ground strike that sends out ripples of force that damage all enemies within a radius.
    Charging this ability increases the radius and damage.

So, an avatar with a Hammer would press this ability to activate it as a "Next-Attack" and charge with a left-click-hold as you do with auto-attacks. When released the damage and radius are increased relative to how much the attack was charged. Alternatively you can just left-click or press the ability again to perform the instant attack (would still replace an auto attack).

Fireball
    Ranged area of effect with fire damage over time.
    Charging this ability increases all fire damage received by up to 20% by those hit for 10 seconds.

This is an example of a charge adding a new effect to the spell. Assuming you're holding a Staff, Wand or Spellbook you would select the spell and get the targeting indicator. Then, you can click and hold to charge spell, freely moving the targeting indicator during this time. Once charged, you let go of the mouse button to fire where you currently have targeted. If you don't have the right weapon, or just left click, the fireball will instantly cast. Those hit by the fireball get the debuff with a strength relative to how much you charged the spell.

Healing Ray
    Medium ranged medium healing spell.
    Can be Channelled for additional healing.

A little different. Channelling would be similar to Charging a spell, except the spell is actively in-use while channelling, as opposed to powering it up and then sending it out afterwards.
    A player would select Healing Ray and then hold the left mouse button to channel the heal on their current target, healing multiple times until the channel ends (you stop or the "charge" bar is filled). Alternatively you could press the button again or simply left click once for the instant ray cast.

Could also have an option for instant as default (so you can single click abilities and use a modifier key for charging)

If we end up having a blocking mechanic you could also charge shield skills or defensive skills this way using the block as the charge.

Just think it would add an extra dimension to combat.

Imagine a warrior charging up his Charge ability for extra range before dashing into combat, a Sun Mage behind him channelling to summon a phoenix as an Archer charges up a piercing shot while running to find a good vantage point. As the warrior channels his Dig In, protecting those around him, the channel also drawing aggro to him as a spearman has charged a Puncture attack, not only dealing increased damage and ignoring armour, but also exposing the enemy to additional damage for a short time. While this has been going on a Lunar Assassin has been charging a Thrust, increasing it's damage from behind, and, while holding this charge, uses the instant spell Night Step to teleport in behind and then release his strike with the charged attack on the weakened enemy.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2015
  2. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I really like charged or revved up skills. I Like your ideas. I think giving some skills the ability to rev up to power off a more powerful hit is awesome. I also see having abilities like this will give more interest and fun to the stale combat system that we have had previously, Also it would mean the combat in SOTA would begin to feel updated and current instead of boring and lac lustre. I would love it to have charge ability rev up, and also I want to have it available for bludgeons since I play a warrior with an axe who want to charge and use whirling axes;)

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  3. Sir_Hemlock

Sir_Hemlock Avatar

Charged abilities? Interest level = 0

Lol, I'm always straight to the point

4. Helseth

Helseth Avatar

I've not liked the charging up basic attacks, and turned my auto-attack back on. It just feels unnecessary and I tend to miss, which makes me sad.

5. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Wait ..... is charging in the game now and if so, how do I do it? And I need auto-attack on? What spells work?

6. Fikule

Fikule Avatar

Nah, just a suggestion to add extra depth. But apparently people don't like charging in its current incarnation anyway for the most part it seems.

Though I was under the impression that it was due to the awkward control setup for it and the collision causing misses, even up close. Not the charging as a concept. Could be wrong though.

devourerofmemes and Budner like this.
  7. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Well also if you hold the mouse key down when in free attack and point at the enemy it is a more powerful hit. It is still buggy since it is new, but I believe it will improve. Now that it has been fixed that when you are not in combat you can walk normally and not hit the ground with your weapon it is so much better. I only see body slam in bludgeons and i believe it does move my character forward in a short charge like movement, but not what I was hoping for. I love to charge from a distance and knock someone on their butt and imagine if it had a rev up timer with great animations. That sounds cool to me;)

8. devourerofmemes

devourerofmemes Avatar

100% on board with charged abilities, helps expand the system and allows for charging ranged spells behind walls just like archers can charge arrow autos, etc.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
    majoria70 likes this.
  9. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

Since Chris revealed that free attack works like auto-attack, but with a damage buff the longer you charge, why not increase hit % and slightly lower the damage buff? It would make charging more rewarding. Like aiming a shot.

majoria70 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.