Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

How do you feel about the graphics thus far? (POLL: post pre-alpha release 2)

Discussion in 'Release 2 Feedback' started by Doppelganger [MGT], Jan 27, 2014.

?

How do you feel about the graphics thus far? (post pre-alpha release 2)

1. I think they're outstanding!

20 vote(s)
    9.5%
  2. I think they're decent enough

80 vote(s)
    38.1%
  3. I think they need improvement

91 vote(s)
    43.3%
  4. I think they're terrible

19 vote(s)
    9.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doppelganger [MGT]

Doppelganger [MGT] Avatar

Graphics definitely don't define a game. Although I feel that even though graphics are far from the most important thing, modern day technology does call for a certain level of visual appeal. I think we could agree that playing a brand new game with visuals from 2000 would be a pretty big let down, if that wasn't to be expected up front. If we disagree there, then we have a difference of opinion about modern standards. I definitely don't think SotA is looking bad so far (most of it is quite nice), I just think there are some areas things can be improved and was curious how some others felt on the topic. This is coming from someone who is an avid retro-gamer btw, so clearly I enjoy games that are less than stellar looking. In fact, some of the best games I've ever played were pretty "blocky" lol.

2. Floors

Floors Avatar

It's only really an issue with 3D games. Retro games, or games remade in a retro style it doesn't matter as much, but once you get into 3D, it's always judged by whatever the latest 3D graphics engine can do.

It's been this way for a while.

Valice_Belgraham likes this.
  3. Floors

Floors Avatar

And don't get me wrong, Unity is the best choice they could have made considering the budget and time.

And there are several things that are quite nice about SoTA so far - it's sharp...the textures in R2 were great.

Just a couple concerns with models and animations really and theres a ton of time for them to improve on those as the game comes together this year.

4. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

You're so right. It could always be worse. At least it's not blocky like Minecraft. ;)

5. Floors

Floors Avatar

lol !

Caliya likes this.
  6. smack

smack Avatar

They should increase the contrast and saturation slightly, but not so much it makes it look like a cartoon. As it is, everything seems a bit washed out. It doesn't help that the sky is nearly gray every day. A little variation would be nice, and even a blue sky every now and then. And don't even get me started on the washed out night sky...

7. Uthelion

Uthelion Avatar

I hope graphics in generell will advance a bit more until SotA will be released.
    Currently it looks not bad but it isn´t an eye catcher. SotA looks like RPGs in 2008. In first place gameplay is more important, i agree to this. But i´m missing atmosphere / soul in all of the areas.

E.g. entering a tavern everything looks "boring"

8. Ashlynn [Pax]

Ashlynn [Pax] Avatar

Oddly enough I would prefer the opposite - less saturated and more muted, earthy, and weathered colours. In anycase it's more of an aesthetic choice rather than a issue with the graphics in my opinion. It all depends what sort of overall tone they are trying to set.

I think the game looks pretty good at the moment, room for improvement yes, but it doesn't look bad. The character models probably need more work than anything else right now. But you can see they are still working on it - for example compare the blue outfit (the term "cloth armour" makes me cringe =P) from R1 to R2 - it was much improved in detail and colour. And the character model hair looked less plastic-y too. I imagine we'll see improvements like that across the board.

9. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

I noticed the glob of hair on the avatar when creating him but forgot about it after started playing, design is more important but it would be nice to have wind swept hair

10. Duke Death-Knell

Duke Death-Knell Avatar

Story is great, but if I just wanted a good story I'd go read a book. This is a video game, emphasis on the video. It has to have at least nice graphics.

And it's kind of funny. This is like my 4th or 5th MMO dev cycle to watch and everytime it's the same

Alpha - "those graphics need work"
    typical answer - "it's only alpha they'll improve"
    Beta - "those graphics really need work"
    Typical answer - "it's only beta they'll improve"
    Launch - "these graphics suck"
    Typical answer - "?"

I call it the magic build theory. Everyone seems to think there's some magic build right around the corner and it never comes. Things don't change unless the dev feels they need to and with a large majority of people in the wishful thinking phase the devs think they're fine and make minimal if any improvement.

And with the current competition out there they really do need to make some effort or this is going to be a very small niche game.

11. Carlin the Druid Archer

Carlin the Druid Archer Avatar

Personally I don't need super high-res graphics (even though I have a good gaming rig), I just need good gameplay, atmosphere and story with *decent* graphics.

As far as decent goes, the level I've seen so far is actually fine for me, but I do want them to improve the atmosphere.. .something I'm sure they will be doing (as it should be easy enough to do, working with lighting, effects (like smoke) and decorations).

I posted about this in my feedback to R2:
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...ecor-in-taverns-and-other-npc-buildings.6599/

Jambo, Time Lord and Uthelion like this.
  12. Akrondar

Akrondar Avatar

The poll is tricky, graphics need improvement and will be improved because its pre-alpha.

13. Dermott

Dermott Avatar

For where we are in the process, I'd say the graphics are better than expected. Given that the R(x) tests are basically to get ingame systems working, having the graphics look like they do already bodes VERY well for the end product. Just assuming that the increase in quality from R1 to R2 (at highest settings) continues at the same pace, SotA will end up looking amazing IMO.

14. Duke Lorimus

Duke Lorimus Avatar

I will say the graphics at this moment are fine and I would not require better detail but I will hope for continued improvement threw out the rest of development.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

15. NirAntae

NirAntae Avatar

I have a really hard time deciding how to answer this... if this were the final product, I would be a little disappointed in the graphics. But, if you take into account that it is still pre-alpha, I am pretty much happy with them, except for one main issue... everything is WAY too reflective! It's like the whole world is wrapped in, or made from, plastic. It feels much too fake. :-/

16. smack

smack Avatar

Oh, I'm fine with earth tones. But there's still something about the way it's rendered that is bugging me. Perhaps it's just the contrast that needs adjustment. Beyond that though, I am looking for more variation given the wonderful concept art that Stephen has already done. Those environments will come in time. Just need to fix this contrast or something...

17. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

Ive noticed a common theme with a lot of the responses to this thread, centering around "the graphics are ok, considering the stage of development."

There's an important distinction that a lot of you may not realize: what you see is what you get.

The assets you are seeing in-game are the assets that will be in-game. They will not improve over time, unless someone takes the time to essentially re-make them, or re-texture them. The development team almost certainly will not have time to do this.

It's possible the lighting may improve, in fact i would expect as much. Lighting levels and effects can be tweaked up until the last minute. But models, textures, and everything else that has either been A) built from scratch or B) purchased from the asset store will stay exactly as they are right now, all the way until launch.

This is why I have suggested crowdsourcing. Hopefully, working together, the community can pitch in and help to polish up some of the world.

18. Floors

Floors Avatar

The people that say it looks like N64 graphics (the troll in the other thread) man... I don't think they were old enough to actually own and play an N64 because it wasn't capable of this lol

19. mike11

mike11 Avatar

I'm fine with the overall level of graphics.

I am willing to sacrifice graphics for features, especially all the systems like in-depth crafting, multiplayer, magic and so on..

I would much rather see every object in game having a purpose than just looking shiny.

That said, I think they have no reason to not produce better looking textures. In my opinion some of the textures just look bad which is not a issue of 'graphics' capabilities but probably because of choice of textures used.
    I already posted some examples in R1 so I won't post again but I'm mostly talking about some stone walls and city walls.

Positive side there is many areas that are outstanding like most ground tiles, light effects, flora and fauna. The birds looks good, the sheep and horses look horrible.

20. Doppelganger [MGT]

Doppelganger [MGT] Avatar

^ This is what I'm afraid of. It seems a lot of backers here expect there to be big graphical improvements between now and release, and I just don't think that's going to be the case. As nice as the environments look (imo), if the character models, overall character detail and animations don't improve by the time of release, that would be a serious let down. It wouldn't be a game breaker, but it would be pretty disappointing.

Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.