How dyes work

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Poor game design, Dec 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    no, because that would make all the in game dyes worthless. It has to be the same. I would suggest as you said, just do not buy it. But ultimately its up to Portalarium.

2. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

You can't craft black and white dyes in the game. They're a cosmetic choice, and the value of buying them in the store is that they're exclusive to the store.

So the other colors have value in that they might be more cosmetically pleasing to people that do not prefer black or white. There's no competition between colors.

3. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    ya, I am sorry but I dont agree with you. Buy em, dont buy em. I dont think they will make it refillable. If they do, then they probably would charge $100 for it. Then you would see complaints on the forums.

4. redfish

redfish Avatar

If I had to, I might have got some white dye just to make an outfit suitable for visually standing out at PvP events, so I could be there to take screenshots. Thinking about losing the money makes me rethink that. There's always the wedding tuxedo, though ;)

5. Drocis the Devious

In fairness you could always just dye a pledge reward or a stretch goal outfit or another add-on store item. The you're safe, and some people will probably do that.

I personally prefer the in-game armor over other things. I'm sure there will be cool wizard robes at some point and maybe I could dye that too.

6. redfish

redfish Avatar

Not much better than the wedding tuxedo (and uses up another item to boot).

Very limiting.

7. Lord Dreamo

Lord Dreamo Avatar

Other games sell consumables for real money all the time. Potions, exp buffs etc.

Risk of PvP, especially if you wanna dress like Johnny Cash.

8. Lord Dreamo

Lord Dreamo Avatar

Just another thought...

Wearing white or black armor in PvP... Would mean you're really confident in your abilities. It could be intimidating, "****! He's wearing black?! He must never lose!"

Or it could make you a target. Haha

9. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

This.

Just like wearing a gunslinger outfit nothing says badass as much as a full black/white loot able outfit with PvP flagged.

We need such stuff. So please don't water down the lootability of these things.

10. Lord Dreamo

Lord Dreamo Avatar

It's the real reason Darth Vader and Storm Troopers were scary. The whole empire was PvP flagged with black and white dye!

11. Drocis the Devious

I don't really see protecting add-on store purchases as "watering down" lootability. I think there should be a line between the cash that people spend and in-game realities like being killed because of lag, or being ganked by 20 people. I'm a huge proponent of having meaningful risk and reward in pvp. But I'm not aware of any other game that lets people lose their money on the whims of the stability of their pvp environment.

Surly there are better ways to risk and reward ourselves in pvp than introducing the lose of cash? I don't see a long line of people saying "we should really think about making lot deeds lootable", and I can't help but think that's because it's a bad idea for the same reasons any purchased add-on store item would be a bad idea to make lootable.

12. Selene

Selene Avatar

It's a consumable. Not a lot deed or a pet llama. Just like you wouldn't carry around 20 taming whistles with high end pets inside while you are pvping, don't carry around items you have chosen to dye with add-on dyes or rare dyes or huge stacks of resources you are not willing to lose. If the royal purple dye you can make from your pledge elderberries can be lost if applied to your armor, or the color made from super rare ingredients that cost a TON of in-game gold..then it should apply to all dyes.

Miracle Dragon and Dreamo84 like this.
  13. Drocis the Devious

[​IMG]
    You can't do that with black and white dyes. Once you lose the dyes they're gone forever. They don't come back when you plant a seed.

14. Lord Dreamo

Lord Dreamo Avatar

By that same logic, addon store lot deeds should be tax free since the pledge lot deeds are.

Not everything has to be exactly the same. That's life. It ends up being $1 a dye. Is that really so unreasonable for something you may risk losing indirectly in PvP one day.

What if they decided to start selling EXP potions like many other games do. Would you argue that these need to be self replenishing? Selling consumables for $$ is not new. It's just new to SOTA.

margaritte likes this.
  15. redfish

redfish Avatar

@SeleneNoctua,

Yea, the question for me is whether its a good idea to make black and white rare to begin with, let alone only acquired with real money. Seems insane to me that you'd be afraid of losing a white robe / black robe in combat. No logic to it.

I made my views on that clear in the Dev+ thread, though. I think the devs have plenty of other ways to make money, if that's the issue.

16. redfish

redfish Avatar

@Baron Drocis Fondorlatos,

Yea, the elderberry dye is rare, but renewable, whereas the black and white dyes aren't renewable.

17. Drocis the Devious

I wasn't making the argument that the royal elderberries had to be the same, I was pointing out that they weren't. The other poster brought it up.

Of course I realize that different items can act differently. But this is a shift into something new for SOTA. It will likely not end here and we'll see more and more consumable items in the add-on store. This is unsettling to me. It's one thing to buy something you know you will enjoy, it's another thing to buy something you know you will enjoy until it's gone. I think if I were not interested in pvp this would be less of a problem for me. But because the items I most want to use them on can be looted in pvp, I feel like it's impacting my ability to enjoy the game. I don't want to lose real life money in pvp. I don't know any other games that do that.

In another thread someone compared this to buying a cup of $8 coffee at starbucks. And I thought that was a great comparison because I don't buy $8 cups of coffee at starbucks since they literally flush themselves away from you about 15 minutes later. This is similar to that.

Well I think EXP potions would be bad for other reasons. But I would definitely buy those as an alternative to grinding. The difference here is that EXP doesn't get looted from me so it would be an item that I would have with me always. I'd call that an excellent way to spent my money. I have no way to risk losing that.

Duke Haley likes this.
  18. redfish

redfish Avatar

Interesting.. didn't see them on the add-on store until now. Listed as "pure white" and "pure black"

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  19. Lord Dreamo

Lord Dreamo Avatar

Fair points, ironically btw myself and at least one other person have reported purchasing both the white and black dyes and didn't get them at all lol.

So I lost it before even getting to use it :p

I also would like to add, this could be a decision in the interest of variety amongst player dye choices. In most games black dye ends up being the vast majority of players goto color choice. This would help deter that behavior a bit and encourage more variety.

20. Drocis the Devious

Yes, I think that would be a benefit.

My concern is not so much about the dyes themselves but the move to exclusive consumable items being sold in the add-on store. I was really impressed that they were not doing that here when I first joined years ago. And although I know this is far from "pay 2 win" mechanics, it leans ever so slightly in that direction and it makes me nervous.

If it were arrows instead of dyes, we'd all be rather upset at that I imagine. But this is a precedent that I think may someday be seen as the beginning of the slippery slope.

Duke Haley likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.