How much more effort are we going to dump in to pvp development?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Olddog, Apr 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Yes, sure, because PvErs can't be dicks :rolleyes:
    By default. Makes sense.

Timrath likes this.
  2. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Anyone can be "dicks" as you say, Earl.... PvE PvP PvWhatever
    I'm simply asking questions and answering questions (or comments directed) to me.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
  3. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

What have I said that is "griefing PvP'rs" ?
    Please tell me, so I can clarify ?

4. parallelogram

parallelogram Avatar

I answered your question directly. The fallacy of reasoning you are most representing is called the “Bandwagon Fallacy” but you are also representing the “Fallacy of Sunk Costs” as well as “Faulty Generalizations”. You are emotionally attached to a false premise of faulty generalizations. I need not go into thorough detail and analyze every syllogism in your message board rantings to help clarify the obvious. You know exactly what you are doing.

Your questions and premises are too weak for you to have played 10,000 hours and 5+ years. I have played 5+ years and everyone knows who I am. Who are you?

5. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

6. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

No you did not.

7. parallelogram

parallelogram Avatar

Here is one example of you griefing. You constantly ask for examples and answers and when someone clarifies, you create more questions that no one wants to answer because they are obvious. Your questions are sharply worded to present yourself in an intellectually superior manner. I work with PhDs and Doctors all day, I know how these questions work. They are not for your own information, it’s for an attack. You are attacking with questions as that is the mood on these message boards. I see nothing constructive. When people attack threads in your manner they are usually locked and deleted so that the real topics we are discussing are not communicated to the devs.

To be simple; your methodology has been very successful in suppressing the voice of the pvp community on these message boards. Unfortunately a lot of the money at Portalarium has dried up so these threads are not being locked and deleted as quickly as before and our cries will be heard.

Every time you call for facts you ignore what is said. Your tone is the tone of a message board griefer, you are not being friendly. You are doing message board PvP. Please, I urge you to contribute positivity to these threads and perhaps we can align in mutual self interest and bolster the community of this game so it has a future. Right now this is clearly message board griefing directed at the pvp community and you seem to have some kind of vendetta against us.

Amelli, Time Lord, Jaesun and 5 others like this.
  8. Nevyn Waldail

Nevyn Waldail Avatar

I don't know who you are parallelogram.

Everybody in every thread on this form wants something different to varying degrees from everyone else, they all believe their vision is the right one. Port has to go its own way at least until PvP'ers, PvE'ers, crafters all come up with a single list for their area agreed by all interested in that area that needs fixed, completed, implemented. Otherwise all the off putting threads that exist on these forums will continue to stop pvp'ers, pve'ers and crafters joining the game.
    Will solving the problems bring more pvp'ers? Who knows but I'm guessing that is the real PvP gripe because 25% (that's a minority, by the way) of a small population spread across lots of timezones makes PvP dull.
    I've been led to despair by these forums often and I enjoy the game, even so, I'm now looking for a decent alternative, including possibly building my own (im just like everyone else and think I know best.)

Time Lord, Elwyn, Cordelayne and 4 others like this.
  9. parallelogram

parallelogram Avatar

The theme of this thread was stop focusing on PvP. The team at Portalarium has put very little focus in it. I can’t stand these message boards, I was compelled to give my two cents but you just get passively aggressively attacked if you do. My opinion here has no value. I am looking for alternatives as well. A lot of us have been playing Albion together as there is no more end game content to beat and nothing left to enjoy. I’ve even pushed crafting and decorating to the upper limits (literally).

Hello Nevyn,

My name is Para in game. I have played since R5 and contributed massively to the development of combat in this game since there were only a handful of spells back then. I helped Chris come up with the spell Meteor Shower, for example. The spell was based on the starfall ability from Soraka in early League of Legends. I’ve also played almost every facet of this game and most people who know of me, know that. When someone is not arguing from experience and the game is so tiny and you don’t even know the person arguing, it hurts.

Amelli, Time Lord, Jaesun and 4 others like this.
  10. Nevyn Waldail

Nevyn Waldail Avatar

I'll maybe ask you to read over my ideas then:)

Time Lord, FrostII and parallelogram like this.
  11. parallelogram

parallelogram Avatar

I would love to.

Time Lord likes this.
  12. Hemswal The Descended

Hemswal The Descended Avatar

PvP Interest:

In the past 30 days, 142 people have participated in PvP. This shows the top 3 and the last places up to 142. The number of participants only goes up toward the end of each PvP season. How many of our active players over the past month does 142 represent? Do you know?

[​IMG]

Source: https://sotassist.com/

Data pulled and saved from the Portalarium Public API

Also see https://sotassist.com/pvp-rankings/ for current top 10.

Dungeon Stuff:

I think the devs are doing a fine job with that particular system. Things take time to create and refine.

All of the other stuff you listed:

It's not like they don't work on those things as well. Some of the devs work well beyond a normal work week.

13. parallelogram

parallelogram Avatar

Is there any way to find the average concurrent player base? Is it off base to think it is less than 1000? I know we have many time zones playing but I really want to know. Beautiful work on Sotassist, this program is an asset to any player if you have not used it. Well worth subscribing as the data from the API is invaluable to my gameplay at this point.

14. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

So, its a fact that pvpers are generally thick skinned but i dont believe i implied you should suck it up if somone is getting death threats.

I only talked about the 2 cases i was told about and one of them was a pvper who was threatened. In that case the culprit was not banned either.

That entire presumption that its only pve’ers harassers always getting banned is very false, and useing that to further drive a wedge between pvp and pve like some kinda race war isnt doing any good, unless i misunderstood

Elwyn likes this.
  15. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Also there is a respectable interest in meaningful pvp in this game (entire large guilds dedicated to it) so it doesnt do much good to drive that point either

16. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Going off avg monsters killed by all publicly viewable players in the api, shroudoftheavatar.net estimates about 600-800 players on average daily

17. Nevyn Waldail

Nevyn Waldail Avatar

There are a lot on that list with zero kills, are we sure they were actively and willingly participating? If not that skews the assumed interest significantly and if they are they should perhaps rethink their strategies:)

Elwyn likes this.
  18. Bioxide

Bioxide Avatar

There ain’t no way 25% of the player base identifies as PvP. People might mess with pvp with stats like those (terrible) you could say 100% of people participate in PvE. It’s a bull crap stat.

This is never going to be a PvP game it won’t be the best or offer the most. PvP is important for the title though but it should not take precedence over stuff that appeals to to hugest % of people. It’s a fact most MMO games target pve crowd fist well because the majority of players are looking for pve content. When sota has real content for pvp including and most importantly soft core PvP content like battle grounds then it will do better. The current pvp system is for a small number of the current populations. 142 people dabbled in PvP last month how many dabbled in pve or dance parties.

Fionwyn Wyldemane, Elwyn and FrostII like this.
  19. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

Wow, we got us a sh** Storm going here again don’t we? Are we part of the problem or part of the solution? I hope we can be the latter of the two.

You want to know the positive part of it then ask @Antrax Artek , @Spinok , @CatherineRose about great PVP battles. Don’t ask me since I am the storyteller who instigated all three of them with the Black Sails stories in the Fire Lotus Tavern Library Forum.

What have “WE” created? Our own large scale battles of which @Chris has streamed and participated in the last two. We have due to our intent led to the option for POT owners to have a “no ransom” option which will tempt more PVErs to give PVP a shot.

What else is coming due to our initiative? “Raid groups “. I call it Zerg groups and with that once it is in place hopefully next release or the one after that the sky is the limit to what “We “ can create ourselves.

We don’t need Port to give us everything, just the tools we need and we can do it ourselves. Forget castle defenses, we can create four sections of the Novian map and call each large group/guilds “Zerg of the North, South, East and West.

“Steps off the soapbox”.

R/Boris/El Pirata/Black Sails Forever

20. Gorthyn

Gorthyn Avatar

Perhaps PvP Dance parties are the way forward ? ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.