How Shroud of the Avatar is looking to change RPGs

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LoneWerewolf, Nov 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

Even if it would just be everyone spending 5 bucks... what it clearly isn't you would in no way get close to the number this game needs as playerbase. I think they mentioned 50k repeatedly.
    Yes there are people lurking, and we will need them all to come back + new users for release.

How are reviews bashing UO? The first people I met at in an online game forum that didn't like UO - I met here... mainly because they got pked back then and are salty ever since ^^

Mykll likes this.
  2. Gix

Gix Avatar

I’m not here to solve the problems they designed themselves into. If they dig themselves into a ditch and I tell them “this is a ditch”, asking me “oh yeah? How’d you do any better?” Isn’t making it less of a ditch.

To see “how I would do it” would result in a completely different game. If you wait another 2-3 years, I might be able to show you.

Here’s a question to you (don’t bother replying, just muse it over): If an enemy NPC can follow me around the map, why can’t friendly NPCs walk towards me when I’m nearby? Or do you just list a bunch of stuff NPCs can’t do just for the fun of it?

Oh, but what they will do is walk away and go to bed while I’m shopping....

All I’m really asking for is competent dialogue. That is one way to encourage me to talk to NPCs. In Diablo 2, I used to talk to every NPC of each town on each step I was in a quest; voice-over or not, they had interesting things to say.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
    Mykll and Pickley like this.
  3. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

Agreed we do need the lurkers and I do believe we need a good single player offline game, there is no doubt it would help future episodes immensely. But I'm on the same path as @EMPstrike . I'm waiting for them to get around to really working on that part. As they have said.

I'm not talking UO bashing on this forum, I'm talking in general. Been playing it since beta and still play a bit. I spend more time here now.

4. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

I have to say that the quests in this game are among the worst that I've ever done. The story line, in itself, is decent, but the implementation, in the form of quests, is not enjoyable. Due to the lack of clues gathered from NPC's I fell into the habit of skipping the conversations, which generally didn't do much to lead me where I needed to be, because it got super tedious to hear 10+ NPC's say exactly the same thing and lend nothing to the quest. When you tell me to go to Map X to find what I need for my quest with no other information, it ruins the whole quest. Conversely, and in order to alleviate lack of information in conversations, you just sparkle all the NPC's and locations where I need to go, you have made the quests nothing for than a rote operation of clicking buttons tills I get my ill-gained reward. I really hope that the developers realize that making things this simplistic will seriously diminish the longevity of this game.

With that said, there are other aspects of the game I really love. There are lots of things that are being balanced, with regards to combat, which I really like, but that is just one aspect to this game. I enjoy doing quests, but not ones that any child can do. There is absolutely no challenge in the quests, aside from having to fight your way to the quest completion.

3devious, Gix and Pickley like this.
  5. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Closing thread and contacting individuals involved in its continued derailment.

Nelzie likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.