How Shroud of the Avatar is looking to change RPGs

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LoneWerewolf, Nov 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

Not even just the single player threads, (yes, that's plural folks) but also on the countless threads which started having completely different topics, but were somehow converted into single player threads.

Pretty sure you still have it backwards though. It's more like when trolls make multiple threads and commit hostile takeovers of threads, thus throwing the first jab, then attacking anyone who mentions either that the game isn't finished yet or that the plan was always to work the single player aspect after the multiplayer aspects which are more crucial to the business model, hence throwing the second punch, and then being retaliated against for the snarky undertones, and then playing the victim.

No wait, scratch that.

It's more like when you go to pizza hut and order pizza for your party with hundreds of thousands of guests, including a special pizza just for you, but then they mess up the order and make your special pizza just like the rest of them, and everyone at the party is having a good time and enjoying their pizza but you just, wont, stop, complaining about it the entire time, and everyone just gets annoyed and has a bad time, but instead of leaving, they figure it's just easier to make you leave, so they do, and then wow it just makes a guy completely salty about life when that happens. They end up joining up with other people who have had this same type of thing happen to them, where they sit in a circle and give eachother hugs all day and all night, talking about how they invested a lot of money into pizza hut and they just want them to do better from now on, never realizing that they could have just taken a step back, relaxed, and played it cool, maybe tried to make the party more fun somehow, then they'd probably have like a bunch of cute girlfriends and pictures and memories of the funnest party ever! Definitely more like that.

2. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

I am not opposed to some handholding as long as it is done in a way that isn't "in your face", too much, overdone or a must. If something is marked on a map or on the compass I am OK with this. But sparkling hands or sparkling items are too much for me. Especially when such things ruin immersion and atmosphere.

There are no sparkling hands or items in Skyrim, Witcher or Elex. At least not that I remember. Yet I found everything without immersion being destroyed.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
    Mykll, Sir Cabirus and LoneWerewolf like this.
  3. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

So you say that work on single player hasn't really begun? What we see is what? A prototype? And in the next few weeks they will create the real single player experience?

As for your pizza hut example. You can be sure that I would be upset and complain about the wrong pizza. After all I paid for it. So I am entitled to my pizza. How about the other way around? Would all of the others accept getting a wrong pizza and be OK with it? I guess not. So why should I?

Mykll, Sir Cabirus and LoneWerewolf like this.
  4. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

I have murdered so many NPCs in fallout 4 that ran up and sequestered me unsolicited that I've lost count. like 'heelp I'm stuck in a fridge!' oh yeah? that's what grenades are for. type stuff.

But that's a big giant budget game that's fully released and I wouldn't doubt if their dev team was already working on a new project by now, whereas we're still like totally in development, and we have no way of knowing things like whether or not decay is just a tool for keeping players skills a bit lower during testing, or to keep them from exploring the entire game or crushing bosses solo non stop en masse during testing, or if sparkle hands is just a tool to help more players along while they tirelessly worked on quests all summer and needed more data, but wont need them anymore by launch, when better mechanics will replace convenient ones etc. We just don't know. So yeh I mean complain a bit I guess, so that people know how you feel, but try and remember this isn't exactly like my pizza scenario because at this point, your pizza isnt done yet bro! nyuh uhhhh

5. Sea Hunter

Sea Hunter Avatar

After reading most of this thread, this is what I see. YOU saying that you are in the mass majority that want no hand holding or sparkles etc. Yet they did say there would be a switch to turn it off for those who do not want to use it. So why do you keep posting the same argument over and over in each post in this thread? When is it enough that what you say is heard in your opinion? Is it once you get what you want? The thing is this. In the end the game will release as they see fit. With or without your blessing.
    Do I care about an offline game? No. BUT I do think that it should be done. As Greyfox had said, even if they took out the hand holding, if I got stuck on a quest I would just Google it and move on. Honestly I would rather avoid that by having something IN game to where I do not have to leave. Bottom line here is that we all want what we want. IT does not mean we have a right to it.

Sean Silverfoot likes this.
  6. Chaox

Chaox Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Hello everyone. Allow me to step in and create a reminder of one of our Code of Conduct requirements:

Do not directly or indirectly insult or get others to insult someone, or respond in supportive ways when this occurs. Please use the Report button, or send an email to me at support@portalarium.com if there is a concern.

Thank you, and a happy Friday to all.

7. Gix

Gix Avatar

“Finding quests”? Last time I checked, all that Skyrim NPCs ever did was bark at you when you got close saying stuff like “you look like someone who could help”...

I didn’t see them with glowing hands or anything.

Reading comments and discussing internally on how to address the issue (if at all) is “doing something.”

The first mistake someone giving feedback can do is assume that “listening” to feedback directly means “applying changes.”

... the same way some people are afraid about not being able to contest an opinion; because they think that, if they’re not there to stop it, that the other guys will “win” and have what they want somehow.

8. Sea Hunter

Sea Hunter Avatar

So let me ask you @Lord_Darkmoon if you came across a quest you just could NOT finish due to not know what to do next, how would you finish it? Would you look it up on the net? Or just abandon it all together?

9. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

Well read some of the suggestions I already submitted and just posted this week. You apparently are a selective reader and I assume you just not following the forums much ;) If there is something I like I post that as well and why I like it. You apparently can't do that :p

10. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

I would probably look it up.
    But I could try it first without immersion breaking sparkling etc.
    Whereas when it sparkles from the beginning I don't have to try very hard in the first place.

Mykll likes this.
  11. Sea Hunter

Sea Hunter Avatar

So no offense but this totally breaks up your argument on this whole thing no? I mean the sparkles are there to help. One can turn them off or so they say that will happen :) So all you do is turn it off, but if you need it turn it on. I just do not see the big issue with this. It just seems like whenever they add something new to the game a certain few will go off the deep end with huge posts on why it totally offends them and there "Immersion"

12. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

It's the first time I hear that we will be able to turn the sparkling off.

Right now it is not possible. So if it will be possible, then OK. But as I said I haven't heard this before.

13. Gix

Gix Avatar

But turning it off only "fixes" the issue of seeing the "immersion breaking" nonsense... it doesn't fix the problem that the glowing hands thing is trying to fix.

Mykll likes this.
  14. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

Yes, you will be able to turn it off. Straight from DS

Nelzie and Bankee like this.
  15. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

Wait till I tell you it was tax free! I mean really, what does that say about me?? Couldn't even be bothered to pay my tax free rent of 0. Actually I moved to Ardoris because I love the music there. It made me feel like I was vacationing in Paris with a supermodel just to live there. I actually sold that lot deed a while ago, but don't you worry. I won the PA city lot deed in the latest raffle with one single ticket! Hard to believe considering my horrible reputation, $45.00 pledge amount and being made aware of my inappropriate behavior many times per week because of reported content which violated 0 rules and gave 0 f- well you know.

Listen guys. I just wanted to take one more swing at this pizza ordering analogy here if I may. Consider this:

You go to pizza hut to order a pizza. You decided to go with pizza hut because you had a birthday party there when you were growing up, and they had ballons and a cute waitress that painted your face and smiled a lot, and now you have awesome memories attached to pizza hut, so you went there because you wanted to support them most of all. I mean it kind of goes without saying that some of the people that work there might have forgotten what a pepperoni is, even after having said that their knowledge of pizza would be great the time before last etc. But you still want to support them because of that rad birthday party. So you order your pizza, and at the other till, another customer is ordering a pizza as well. I guess the other customer had a rad birthday party too back when she was growing up. Anyways the pizza is in the oven cooking and it's taking a while. The other customer is totally cool with how long it's taking but I mean, come on right, it's just a pizza how long can it possibly take? You have two options at this point. You can either spend the rest of the wait time complaining over and over, which might drive the other customer away and put pizza hut out of business, or you can relax and play it cool and even try to entertain the other customer so that you'll both have yet another good memory! Won't pizza hut be better off if you go with the latter option??

I think the latter option sounds cooler. That's the one I'm going with from now on. Yawl can catch me in the game from here on out. I hope you'll consider joining me in my future attempts to entertain some of the other customers! :cool::cool::cool::cool:;):)

3devious and Sean Silverfoot like this.
  16. LoneWerewolf

LoneWerewolf Guest

I GUARANTEE you that there are more people who want(ed) to play SotA but don't because it is not what was promised than there are people currently enjoying and playing it. Without a shadow of a doubt. Portalarium catering to the few hundred that play now instead of the thousands that want to is maybe a mistake. We'll see in a year. Put it in your calendar.

17. Magnus Zarwaddim

Magnus Zarwaddim Avatar

Are you trolling me? Because you completely responded as if you understood what I said and were throwing it back at me? This is weird, when if you read my statements in context I was explaining how people keep complaining about how promises were made that were not kept. I continued to explain how everyone of us who paid money to this game to date have been given terms in a contract that essentially states if they don't meet their goals (promises) or if the game fails we assume the responsibility. My comment was that most people say "Don't lawyer me bro". I was not saying for anyone to not lawyer me.

Is there an ignore feature on this thing? It might be mutually beneficial.

18. LoneWerewolf

LoneWerewolf Guest

Just stop trolling the thread then you don't have to read answers to your troll posts. Easy.

Sir Cabirus likes this.
  19. Magnus Zarwaddim

Magnus Zarwaddim Avatar

Omfg, conspiracy theory much? I am not trying to silence anyone. I don't have the power to silence anyone. Here. Let's perform a test. SILENCE.

See, no such powers.

20. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

It would have been nice to not resort to this but the choice to create a divided hex world just did not work with this plan. A lot of things have to be done differently, but if you have a better idea that improves this, I hope they will consider it. They just don't have enough time and resources to mess around with some things right now. It just has to be done for the mmo crowd for sure. For the MMO world it was not working and contributed to players being lost and confused. I really love sparkles for myself. I love how they look. I am playing divinity original sin sometimes and not rushing it. We just don't have that world to work with. Shrouds has to give in for the MMO part imo. If you have better ideas please advise.

Nelzie and LoneWerewolf like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.