How to deny money from the oracle.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ravicus Domdred, Oct 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lollie

lollie Avatar

That's just how it is for many new players. The term is also "newb" as in "new player", rather than the disparaging "noob" term you're using.

Kara Brae and Time Lord like this.
  2. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

some people believe that any sort of shortening of "new player" is demeaning. personally, i prefer being called a N00bl3t... the point is received and we all get a chuckle for various reasons.

of those choices sheep would be a closer match, but i think pork would be closer i taste.. then again, as a lich i don't think he cares as much, what the source was, unless if he is also toying with them beforehand and expects a conversation. personally, i would expect a conversation with at least a little vocabulary, given the situation.

an opt out assumes that the opting-out is the side that obtains the "extra clicks". honestly, adding a little "please do not pay me" or "no gold" in the chat window, even without the context clues of the conversation, should be more than enough of a choice.

and i see no problem with the opt-out, especially when that side of the fence requires the extra clicks/words.

heck, if you ask the oracle not to, she can then ask if you want to pass the word to the criers, and other npc's, to not provide compensation for anything but storyline quest rewards. she has the resources with the 'watchers' network, after all... that way there is no coersion or as some people like to call it paying of 'blood money' or 'bribing' - which those last two i honestly think is a stretch.

smack, Time Lord and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  3. lollie

lollie Avatar

You'd have to delay the gold gift though, because soon as you meet the Town Crier pretty sure you get the gold. As for the Oracle, they can already opt out of it.

With delaying the Town Crier gold you'd then have to code in a "give gold upon the player exiting chat without typing No in chat", for those new players who don't read and rapidly hit the Escape key in a panic to get away from the now-locked npc chat window.

Time Lord and ThurisazSheol like this.
  4. miller9627

miller9627 Avatar

Don't forget about the free gold when you bind your recall spot to a town crier. We must be diligent when coming up with new work for the devs.

smack, 3devious, Rathmir and 2 others like this.
  5. Vagabond Sam

Vagabond Sam Avatar

Giving options to players to make choices a they relate to virtuous conduct seems like a core part of the game.

I don't get how this became so contentious. Seems like a good idea and one that would give more opportunity to roleplay with the npc's.

smack, evillego6, Aldo and 2 others like this.
  6. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

I think we should be able to have it give us more advise, nonsense, or hit the golden jackpot :D if we choose to deposit the gold back into our Oracle...

Whatcha' Tink?
    ~Time Lord~o_O

smack and Dwalin Bombardin like this.
  7. Aurelius Silverson

Aurelius Silverson Avatar

Probably an old and out of date suggestion, but I seem to remember a while ago guards in the towns also responded to the 'lots' enquiry, if they still do (no idea whether that still works or not and not able to test it just now) that might be a way around the problem of criers 'forcing' gold on you.

smack, lollie and Time Lord like this.
  8. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

I'm not @Berek, but as a player of this game, I do feel it is an unreasonable request. (*See edit at the bottom of this post*)

There are thousands of things in this game where people's opinions are divided. Adding options for everything is not a reasonable solution. My own top request would be an option to have less skimpy underwear (because the set I was given doesn't make me feel virtuous).

As has already been pointed out:
    • Adding an option to refuse the money (both of town criers and the Oracle) in the chat box would effect everybody
    • Adding an option in the game options would effect everybody. The list is too long as is. Each additonal option makes it more difficult to scroll through them and find the option you are looking for.
    • EDIT: I forgot to mention the development and testing time needed to implement this change. There are much more important issues for the dev team to concentrate their efforts on.
    Just because a thread has been opened on this topic doesn't mean that the vast majority of players will be happy to have an option added for this purpose. It reminds me of the keep wall situation where very few backers convinced the Devs to change the walls and an uproar ensued amongst backers who didn't like the change. I am sure that adding an option for receiving the pittance of gold will cause the Devs more headaches than if they left things the way they are.

I feel very passionately about this.

EDIT: I've been reflecting on my post. I didn't mean to be critical of anyone who is in favor of a change. I think it is important for all players to be able to request changes they would like to see in the game. Looking at it from that angle, I should not have said that the request is unreasonable. However, I still think it would be a mistake to accede to this particular request for the reasons stated.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
    Archer, Rathmir, lollie and 1 other person like this.
  9. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

10. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Please note
    A)
    Oracle only gives gold when triggered by key word
    B)
    You can ask "lots" from guards, once implemented, which isn't all locations yet
    C)
    The valid complaint however is that if one wants to deliver mail you can't avoid the 100g registration

11. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Just so I'm clear, we're concerned about the Oracle giving out too much money?

Time Lord likes this.
  12. Jace3

Jace3 Avatar

Let me give you my bank account number and you can just direct deposit it to me. I accept any and all deposits.

Don't think of it as bribery, think of it as being rewarded for doing a good job in the direction you are headed.
    Look at all the body parts you can buy with this money. ;)

lollie and Time Lord like this.
  13. Jace3

Jace3 Avatar

If this Oracle was so smart and all knowing she/it would know if you have been bad or good just like Santa does. You shouldn't have to admit to anything. Remember DLMB!

14. Aurelius Silverson

Aurelius Silverson Avatar

I honestly can't work out how you reached that conclusion. As I understand the concerns, they are about the unavoidability of being given money, from the Oracle when you answer the 'test' question, or the town criers when you first visit them. The 'issue' Oracle, we know, can be avoided by not triggering the 'test' responses. Most of us don't mind it, some do, and want to be able to converse with the Oracle and town crier for their other functions, such as the availability of lots and perhaps delivery of mail, without getting the compulsory 'gift' of money.

smack, evillego6 and Time Lord like this.
  15. Jace3

Jace3 Avatar

Lets not go there, 1 complaint is no complaint. Nothing to see here move along.

16. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Seems to me this is kind of a silly thing to argue about, but please, continue if you like...

17. Mekong

Mekong Avatar

There aren't guards in my POT .

Time Lord likes this.
  18. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

I am not complaining, just bringing up a suggestion. The only complaining here is by people that are off topic and trying to derail the thread. I am just asking for a simple way to deny the free gift. I see nothing wrong in asking for that.

smack, Aldo and Time Lord like this.
  19. Mekong

Mekong Avatar

Another example of you projecting your opinion on others. I find that amusing that you deleted a post in another thread and told me to "remain neutral" :)

Time Lord likes this.
  20. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

I am sorry if you think the virtues are silly being this is a virtue based game.

smack, Aldo, Time Lord and 1 other person like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.