I don't get all the concerns about Open PvP

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by OldSpice, Jan 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

I hope it all works out! I really do! personally i like the thrill in video game of the possibility of being attacked by anyone, when i had a guild in UO i had one house in tram and the other in fel, so my new guys wouldnt get ganked right from the start and could learn how to pvp! when they got better built thier skills etc.. they would move to Fel house with those characters, their other toons that were crafters could use the house in tram to craft thier stuff, which supplied the guild with stuff!

2. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

I like PvP, because it's a challenge. I don't need someones stuff. I don't need to humiliate them by stripping them naked and tea bagging them either. I only want to wrestle and fight! We have fun and go our separate ways without the BS and hard feelings surrounding personal possessions. Why do you insist that you should be able to steal another person's equipment? Why do you insist that players of wildly varying skill level should be forced into a competitive environment (i.e. - noob vs. vet)?

I would question why PvP has to be a source of anything besides experience and fun. PvP for me is about challenge and pure enjoyment, not for loot. I'll raid and do dungeons if I want loot.

vjek likes this.
  3. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

It is a waste of time based on perspective. You are not the judge of what is a valid expenditure of another person's time. Also, not appropriate to be claiming someone is a baby because they don't want to be your victim. That's fairly childish and immature.

4. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

yeah but it seems your in a violent world, but you want to customize it to meet your needs! if they have a duel option youll be able to duel people and not lose anything, that i think should be in PVE at that point you and another have challenged each other for fun, to me its boring, thats just my opinion, but havent they discussed the duel option and guild war option?

5. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

but you also are not a judge of what is a valid expenditure of another persons time! Just saying, its like throwing rocks in a glass house is it not?

apoc01 likes this.
  6. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

I think they have been discussing it and I hope there will be a dueling arena/green in every town and city. I also would love it if there were PvE raids, I love the challenges posed there as well.

There's nothing wrong with structure to PvP.

7. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

yeah i remember hearing something about all that in PVE, just cant say its a fact cause i cant remember who was talking about it!

8. vjek

vjek Avatar

Just so. Which is why I've been promoting temporary hex banishment, for SotA.

All the fun, challenge, and strategic value.
    None of the ego, social ills, and negative behavior.
    Encourages instead of discourages participation, over time.

It's an isolated in-game mechanic that you can add other mechanics to, rather than dragging along the historically demonstrated flaws from previously tried-and-failed similar mechanics.

Ned888 likes this.
  9. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

Nope; you are stating that it's okay for someone to have their game ruined by someone else for fun. That is no okay. If your boy there wants to spend his time ganking and griefing, then he's going to lose out, because the criminal usually does once the victim comes forward. It happened in UO and it will happen here too. Watch and see.

The victim is not the bad guy and if he leaves the game so does the money he would be pumping into Portalarium. There's also the bad press and word of mouth aspect.... The griefer is going to lose.

vjek likes this.
  10. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Im glad your taking this as constructive session, was talking to another who is PVE and said the ganking and stuff is fine by me, ill just go and gank them back, but there has got to be more to it than just that, i like the exploration, interaction, and id also like to do quests etc.. im not a crafter so i probably wont like it, no matter how they set it up in any game, but im a buyer! lol but yeah there has got to be more to it than just a gankfest, and grieving!

Ned888 likes this.
  11. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

im not saying its ok to ruin somones game! i like you dont want my game ruined either! My game doesnt consist of me talking **** or tea bagging, i just do what i do and continue on, I dont talk ****, talk is cheap! :)

apoc01 likes this.
  12. GBJackson

GBJackson Avatar

This.

If I have an hour to play, and a great bit of that is taken up traveling from point A to point B, and somewhere between those points some jerk PKer and his friends pounce on me just so they can take my stuff that they likely won't have any real use for, requiring me to go back and get the replacements for what they stole, then I consider my time to have been wasted. I won't be able to get where I wanted to go and do what I wanted to do because Jerk PKer and his cronies got where they wanted to go and did what they wanted to do.

You like PvP? Fine. PvP against people of like mind... What's that? You can't get a cheap thrill from defeating someone who wanted to fight you? Well... Like I said... It's not really PvP you are after.

If you get your enjoyment and fun in a game at the expense of mine, then I support any tool the developers of said game would be willing ton put in player hands to make sure I never have to know you exist!

13. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

youll have a non pvp option that has already been said by devs, so your good!

14. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

But you want other people to be able to do it so you have a pool of bad guys to go after. Again, you condone inappropriate behavior without participating in it yourself. That behavior which you claim to revile is what drives players away from the game.

I know you don't talk S*@t, but the fact is that you are fighting for something that could potentially ruin the game. Complete freedom is not always a good thing.

vjek likes this.
  15. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

but if im in open pvp then others that like open pvp will be the victims! I will always have bad guys to go after! someone will gank my friend and grief him, then i will go after him and kill him hell get his boys together and come after me and my boys, we are positively interacting with each other. Even if i was PK and i ganked people, and i got killed/ganked by someone because they wanted revenge id go get some of my pk friends attack them back so we are actually playing a game, that matters to us the PVP. I dont need people that dont like pvp for one reason or another to play my guy! I promise all of you that the PK'r will have me and my friends to worry about and, that worry will be greater that just attacking an innocent person. Im roll playing my character with my friends in my PVP world!

apoc01 likes this.
  16. apoc01

apoc01 Avatar

Makes sense that you assume just because I want open world full loot PVP that it means that I want to kill random innocent newbies. Have you ever thought I wanted it because I wanted to feel the thrill and danger of possibly being attacked anywhere outside of the guarded towns? The danger adds to the excitement and makes your accomplishments that much more rewarding. If there is no danger, then we might as well be chatting with someone in Steam while we play the game against NPCs

blaquerogue likes this.
  17. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

Your fun could result in people leaving the game. People will only put up with so much of being victimized before they find another option and once that happens all you'll have to swing your sword at is tumbleweeds and crickets.

vjek likes this.
  18. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

you and i just differ in our opinions, i dont think that pk will ruin a game i think it will help the game by defining what side you will be playing on Good against Evil, against the game , we will still be doing our quests it will be a bit more risky for us but we will still play and go after those quests set before us!

apoc01 likes this.
  19. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

No assumption here, I have been reading your posts.

20. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

but they have an option not to play PVP! isnt that the great thing about the slider?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.