I don't get all the concerns about Open PvP

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by OldSpice, Jan 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OldSpice

OldSpice Avatar

I played UO Catkills for 8 years and had two accounts for the entirety. I feel like I have a valid opinion here about discussing what I feel I ultimately want and that's a modern day UO. However, I've been a lurker around this website and haven't contributed anything to this game or community, so feel free to take my opinion with a grain of salt.

I see so many threads discussing PvP and Open world PvP and full looting rights etc. and it annoys me to read people complaining about the subject. Ultima Online wasn't just all doom and gloom and massive PKer's ruining one's day. Sure there were a few times, I was res killed repeatedly but it wasn't a daily thing, hell not even an hourly thing. It happened occasionally and I got over it. It was a allowed and acceptable part of the game. I can tell you what I did do, which was a lot more than the aforementioned "occasionally" and that was mine, chop wood, sheer sheep, collect regs, and all the other gathering/hunting things one could do. Guess what? I did it all out in the wide open in the big bad world, and the chance that someone did run by and kill me.. big deal... I lost 20 ore that took me 20 minutes to collect and chances are it was basic iron and could careless. I feel like people get so caught up in flying to the "end game" and the "best items" and forget they're playing a game, set in a world, full of legitimate risks.

Too many people get stuck the idea that the world is overrun with PKer's and griefers and forget that the "good guys" have a side too. I can't even count the amount of guilds I played with that hunted PKer's and hung out at moon gates looking for trouble. I also loved having my 1 "good guy" and my 1 "bad guy" and my 1 "gatherer/crafter" and my 1 or 2 "farmers". One thing that set UO apart from many modern day games, is that you acquired skill by using the skill and playing the game. Which made, getting PK'd on my gatherer, less bothersome. I may have just died and lost my 20 ore but I gained 7 points in mining and it was worth it! I could go on and on about the various "accomplishments" that I felt I achieved in UO even though it ended in me dying and losing my loot. I'd also like to add, that no other game has ever given me the rush that UO gave me when surviving a massive attack - pulling out that sneaky hide with 0 skill on a random person's house steps as the pursuers went running by was a gratifying/electrifying feeling.

I, for one, haven't been paid too much attention to this because I fear Lord British is creating another generic, drab, recycled garbage game - that we've all played before: WoW, Guild Wars, etc etc etc. I can't stand it. I'm so tired of the same game being recreated. I would absolutely pay a monthly fee for an updated version of UO (graphically) Hell, he could take the same damn world, put new graphics in it, and leave everything else the same and I'd be on board (minus a lot of things EA did to the game). I've gone back to free UO servers, many, many times and they were always a riot re-living the UO glory days...

That's my rant.

crachazz, whitewitch, apoc01 and 19 others like this.
  2. Symbatu

Symbatu Avatar

Couldnt agree more. If this turns out to be another WoW copy I simply wont play it.

" I would absolutely pay a monthly fee for an updated version of UO (graphically) Hell, he could take the same damn world, put new graphics in it, and leave everything else the same and I'd be on board (minus a lot of things EA did to the game)"
    My thoughts exactly!

Excellent post. Bring back the feel of the old UO !

3. Morghanu

Morghanu Avatar

AMEN !!!!!

People forget how it was in felluca because they got used to the safety of tramell and the insurances thing....

Best game i played ever was UO in the "tank mages" era ... 7x gm mage, eval, wrestling, meditation, resist, swords & tactics.

Felluca only side ! If somewone could take this with exact same gameplay , a refreshed new isometric view , and some extras like for example the custom housing wich i think its awesome ! (about only decent thing it hapened to UO after LB left)

then add some of the features they talked about in sota ex: monsters give loot of somewone they killed some days ago (human crafted) instead of generated random world loot !...

For me wouldt need much more...

4. sakuraba

sakuraba Avatar

I pray to Jesus that the blood sucking entity also known as EA would sell the Ultima rights back to Mr Garriott so we can all get the ultima fix we crave. I am sad I wont see the black sword, glass swords, sword of defense, Shamino, Iolo, Britannia, Serpent Isle, the fellowship/ophidians in game besides the odd reference.

I agree with the op. I would love to play an updated UO.

Time Lord, apoc01, jondavis and 3 others like this.
  5. Danirus

Danirus Avatar

I completely agree 100% too.

Every new MMORPG is just another WOW clone, I'm fed up of it.
    Even when Darkfall was in development and beta you had players crying for an easy way out of PVP, it's a complete joke.

I want an updated version of UO with the same ruleset as Fellucia.

6. Arradin

Arradin Avatar

Oh please, Give me a break.

Felucca ruined for ALOT of people, and pretty much the only people who wouldnt mind Full felucca ruleset, are the PvPers the thiefs and the general griefers.
    It is not just speculation, because i have played and staffed Quite a few of UO Freeshards, and its always the same deal, Every single time. The griefers as people looking for the "easy way " ( i.e PKing newbies and tricking them ) are everywhere in large numbers, but its simple better than being 'good', due to the lack of penalty systems.

The reason why it worked somewhat in the early days of UO, is that EVERYONE was new to the online gaming, to interracting with oher people in games etc etc. Nowadays everyone look the the fast way, the easy way, without as much work as possible. And let's face it, being the good guy in a game is a TON more work than being the 'evil' guy.

Now, im not personally a fan of casual systems, i played PvP servers in WoW even if i got little to none interrest in pvp.
    I like the fear of being able to get attacked, i want to keep my attention span up when walking around the forests...

But a full open PvP open to griefing is NOT GOOD , Period

Annavas Azon, Mishri and Sarek like this.
  7. Symbatu

Symbatu Avatar

An accurate depiction of the interactions between people in real life should be attemted in SotA to. In real life you can chose to be evil, and you can chose to be good. You cannot chose which fate lies ahead, you can simply react to what happens to you in the most adequate way. You look right and left before crossing the street, you don cry out for all traffic to be banned. You have to adapt to your surroundings, or perish. That is the nature of inter-human relations to. Sometimes you are lucky, sometimes you arent.
    Letting people chose which dangers they might face ruins the sense of realism that was so awesome in Ultima Online, and that I think most of the people wanting to play SotA are looking for.

8. Danirus

Danirus Avatar

The reason it worked in the early days was because there was no WOW clones where everyone got bored.
    So they joined the free shards to get some action.

TemplarAssassin and blaquerogue like this.
  9. Morghanu

Morghanu Avatar

You cant compare free shards with original games...
    UO free shards ppl have several accounts with 2/3 pk in each , one dies he rezs and wear out the pênalty in stats (If they had to)... And log in another red...
    Thats why those servers Are so filled with reds... And other scumm...
    In osi servers u would get a perma ban for hacking , If u got caught macroing u were in bad sheets... Pll knew that could loose their money ( game & all subscriptions só far) . UO when was created was a +17 game it represented a dark age where you were fairly safe inside towns ( just had to mind the pickpockets) outside gates was free for all ...
    Is that. Bad ???? In a mmo is not bad ! In fact is very good Since people try to adventuring with other ppl for safety... Wich bring interaction, makes guilds a reason... If somewone wanted to solo why would he want a mmo in first place ?

10. Danirus

Danirus Avatar

+1

I guess people these days prefer to stand in a corner on their own spamming LFG LFG LFG until they get in a group for a lousy dungeon crawl killing AI all day long.

Personally i prefer to be up against a real challege aka other players, with risks and rewards and the chance to bond with fellow players.

Like Morghanu said, pvp brings players together to unite and face up to everyday challanges, it really adds depth to the game and alot more fun than bashing braindead AI all day long.

11. OldSpice

OldSpice Avatar

Well said. The things I've done on the Free Shard would never have been tolerated on OSI and furthermore I wouldn't have risked two accounts over it. Comparing OSI and Free Shards is like comparing apples and oranges.

12. Alayth

Alayth Avatar

Huh? Calm down. This conversation has been had on these forums dozens of times, that's the point of my post - you're not adding anything to the discussion. I'm actually in favour of open PvP and full loot, if you need to know. No need to jump to name-calling and assumptions.

And calling someone a nerd on a gaming forum? Nice. :p

UndefinedObject, Jambot and NRaas like this.
  13. Maximus Katse

Maximus Katse Avatar

How trite.

14. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

Why? I hear you're rant, but I don't see any positives.

I don't like it because:
    1) It drives people away - no one wants to play the sheep.
    2) Karma rules are a terrible way to implement PvP. You can't have a fight without a bully and a victim. Someone wanting to play a "good guy" can't do anything until someone commits a "crime". As opposed to a guild war / faction system where two groups fight over a castle somewhere....without needing and crime or victim.

15. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

In real life, people don't "quit the game" to return to their "real life." That's the fatal flaw in your argument.

TenoMeric, BillRoy [ab] and Tarsilion like this.
  16. Drocis the Devious

When you use words like ever, never, always, "period", you've lost the argument because exceptions to the rule exist. A well developed game could support full and open pvp, but it would require new ways of thinking about MMO's as well as a healthy amount of risk taking.

17. Mugly Wumple

Mugly Wumple Avatar

I think one of the things that leads to disagreement about the affects of PvP is how one chose to play UO in the Felucca days. I was part of a roleplay community that had a town. This town was a regular meeting place for us. As such, it was easy for PKers to always find fodder. There was always a group in the same places at the same times - a group that didn't focus on PvP and were generally poorly equipped to deal with it. It became a real annoyance and disrupted many of our events.

Ned888 and BillRoy [ab] like this.
  18. Tarsilion

Tarsilion Avatar

Personally I grew tired of UO many years ago and I know that I would grow tired in less than 6 months if the game was just an updated UO.
    However looking at what they plan for combat, crafting, etc. I have no fear that it will just be a new UO. It is shaping up to be quite different already.

19. Sumphoo

Sumphoo Avatar

Using "real life" to decry someones statements about interaction in a virtual world is the flaw in your judgement.

If anyone ever develops the MMO of "real life" please do not contact me for beta testing; especially since my own server has been live for 40 years already.

;)

20. Drocis the Devious

I was quoting someone that used "real life" as their example.

BillRoy [ab] likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.