I don't get all the concerns about Open PvP

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by OldSpice, Jan 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Margard

Margard Avatar

You may want to read up on - selective multi-player; the operating game system pairs you with your preferred game style ...

PvP folks with PvP folks - consensual PvP

docdoom77 likes this.
  2. apoc01

apoc01 Avatar

This is true, but that could also mean that they are keeping it open so that they could go hardcore full loot pvp as well. One can always wish :p

3. Margard

Margard Avatar

I'm sure they are not completely apposed to that in THEORY - but I think their current thinking is to be more inclusive; and unfortunately that would not be hardcore PvP as a standalone feature ...

4. apoc01

apoc01 Avatar

My question is why do they have a single player mode? Maybe so people can play without being murdered? Hehe

5. Maximus Katse

Maximus Katse Avatar

That's exactly as I read it. But it applied to directly to what you quoted and bolded asking for a citation, so there it is. And like Margard said it's not clear - things can and have changed ; but so far I haven't seen anything imply that subject has changed much materially.

Some people get upset or even go into denial when they find out what Portalarium's plans have been all along on a particular matter. And others go even further and throw tantrums and name call other forum members like children.

Those last ones are pretty sad.

I can tell you from being here since early in the project and from how I see some people react to ripples caused by minor changes in direction Portalarium has taken so far that a 180˚ on the "optional" aspect of PvP will send shockwaves like a bomb went off. IMO it's just not worth it - especially if they can deliver satisfying PvP without supporter backlash all while fulfilling their founding goals.

That's one way to look at it. But on the flip side online games aren't solely online so people can pretend to be murderers or prey. Those are just options.

docdoom77 and apoc01 like this.
  6. Margard

Margard Avatar

Because it is a game that is a successor to BOTH the Ultima series games and UO - the problem arises when PvP community (a segment of it, not all) demand that it be - full blown - open PvP full loot - the community members that we have don't always mix (hence the selective multiplayer)

By the way I plan to PvP - in any form that it is designed - but I'm more flexible

docdoom77, apoc01 and skinned like this.
  7. apoc01

apoc01 Avatar

Great points, we shall see, but I think RG knows why his previous online game (UO) was so successful, and that was because it was the freedom to do as you want in the game. I am confident that people will understand that Open World PVP is about the choice to be good or bad, and to feel excitement in the world. I think that once they put in ways to reduce griefing (ie. Bounty Hunting NPCs or Guard zones) that people will start to come around :)

8. Maximus Katse

Maximus Katse Avatar

I'd be very surprised if open PvP didn't find its way into the game at some point - but I'd be astonished if currently planned options were removed leaving only open PvP or single-player modes.

The chance of that happening are practically zero IMO.

9. Owain

Owain Avatar

If people are crapping on your proposal, it's because with Selective Multiplayer, your proposal makes no sense.

If I select Open PvP, and someone else doesn't, we will never see each other, so in effect, you are on separate servers.

If someone uses a PvE setting to get his gear, and comes up to Open PvP, we will thank him for the donation, and continue as always.

Lord Baldrith, Margard and NRaas like this.
  10. G Din

G Din Avatar

I agree, 2 servers. Selective Multiplayer doesn't look good.

Mordecai likes this.
  11. Owain

Owain Avatar

Why does SM not look good?

docdoom77, skinned and Mordecai like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.