I have the red name blues

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Audacity, Jan 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Audacity

Audacity Avatar

R36 really spoiled me. It was super fun to see all the red names running around. The problem then was that most of those sporting the red really didn't want to pvp. They just wanted xps.

Nowadays I can waste hours searching for someone to play with me. Where have all the red names gone? I know pvp has no real meaning at the moment but can't we just randomly murder one another out of love of pvp?

I'd love to see the pvpers pick maybe one day a week when we pick a zone and flag up for mayhem goodness. Maybe we can make use of one of those beautiful ruins.

PS I am (almost) always red and would love to be razzled. Even if we are friends, you should totally try to murder me if you see me.

Lyndoman, Silis, Vrunk Hrrk and 15 others like this.
  2. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

Sadly, most of us are waiting for R38 to flag again.. and that's if they fix their weird bugs.. at least, that's my reason.

What's too bad, is we have to wait a whole month when something like this goes down to get the game back to a 'good' health.

3. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Just one more week for R38 and perhaps you will get your wish depending on what makes it in game. I am really hoping for so much since we had a normal amount of time between the last release. ;). So much still needs addressed for the game and I'm sure that is apparent. ;)

4. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Not interested in PvP until bugs and abusing pp is fixed AND until i am not totally underpowered and could have catched up.
    So , it seems this will be NEVER!!!

PvP unfortunately in this game (but it's true for most MMOs) is only for players who have a lot of time, are max'd out their skills.

Why PvP if i do half of damage and have half of HP and Focus? Why risk anything of my gear that I need to buyback, but barely have the money to survive, why PvP if things could be lost what takes me days of playing and doing soething that I do not like - grind - to get it back?

Nothing against PvP, but this system is just for powergamers and not for casuals!!!

5. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

"But Audacity, you're too adorable to kill...", says Gabriel - mere moments before he meets his end at Audacity's hands :rolleyes: (Seriously, you could probably kill me with a single blow... :p)

Maybe I will turn my PvP flag on again in R38 o_O...as long as I don't have to worry about ending up like Budner... ;)

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
    Cordelayne, Audacity, Numa and 5 others like this.
  6. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Not quite sure what kind of necromancy will be required to raise PvP from the dead in SotA.

I know for sure it would require some serious content and meaning. It would also require a complete u-turn in attitude towards PvPers. As things stand most would be banned for what would be considered unacceptable behaviour.

For the foreseeable future I would say PvP is pretty much done for in SotA. On the bright side there are still loads of decent games out there with decent PvP and there will be plenty of new ones as well.

7. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

It's so easy.

PvP Scenes with a lot of ressources to fight for.
    PvP Skillcap or ignore everything beyond 100 skill and atunement.
    Would take some time for me to get there and have a 100 build of PvP skills, but ...
    And don't let people loose hard to craft gear or hard to get gold.
    Let's PvP for ressources and not reagencies and for trophy's and titles not gold and gear.
    Totally simple.

Everybody needs ressources and will go there, everybody knows that if he make it to some skills are 100 it's more about playerskill and not about time to grind more.

8. Insinious FizzleThorpe

Insinious FizzleThorpe Avatar

I went back to wow for a bit just for the PVP, with this expansion they tried to level the playing field by taking everyones personal skills ( as in game skills) and making a flat template.. all rogues have xx haste crit mastery priests xx int haste crit and so on.. then they allowed the really high itemlevel players boost the template based off their personal items .. In theory it would work if you gave every player the base template without the "Adjustment"

For here as stated above instead of template per say when enguaged in PVP why not set a restriction of sorts to lock your skills @100 and reduce the stats accordingly say Max hps /focus 500 anything above is a wash. Now before you yell and say but I raised my 87 skills to 120 legitly .. good for you Im happy that you have that time, but if you want more people to PVP you need to somewhat level the field some. And you still have a major advantage, you have 87 skills that are just temp capped at 100 and you target only has 9.. but you both only have 500 hp/focus so let the best man win

Just a random idea..

9. Garfunkel Humperdinck

Garfunkel Humperdinck Bug Hunter

I love PVP and participate in it daily. Just not in SOTA. The games I play have little to no in-game rewards for participation. Beating your opponent is the reward.

Yet in SOTA we seem to need Blood Bay/shardfalls/ruins, experience bonuses, and special loot to even have a tiny PVP population. Not to mention the hundreds of hours grinding to feel ready to compete.

Until they fix PVP itself to make it appeal to the masses, it will always be very thin. The forced multi-player zones, bonuses, and enhanced loot feel very gimmicky.

We need stuff to jumpstart PVP like:

1. Skills Cap or Faster Leveling: Allow casual players to catch up to grinders in a reasonable amount of time. Imagine if you can only play 5 hours a week, how long will it take to 'max out' and feel able to compete? Two years? No thanks. Just play another game.

2. More Glyphs: More options for your build can help you to 'tech against the meta' and beat players at a higher levels. The currently limited card choices make it boring.

3. Matchmaking: Somehow pit players against others with similar win rate/level. (Maybe an obsidian portal that players can queue into that transports you an arena on one of the planet/moons to fight someone at your level. Could even have a moon for 1v1, 2v2, 5v5, ect... As you rank up, your competition gets tougher) Noobs could do this and get hooked on PVP.

If stuff like this were implemented I'd PVP like crazy. I'm loving everything else, just not the PVP.

Edit: Condensed by removing unnecessary jargon.

10. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

Well for me and i know other archers we all deflagged as we couldn't hit a barn door this last release with synch and skill issues, that coupled with the thieving fun and games that's been going on it would have been physical as in digital and economic suicide to have stayed flagged. Hopefully things are better for the next release especially with the new pvp scene.

11. Numa

Numa Avatar

I swear - if someone else other than you had written the post above, it would have been a very disturbing read :eek:

12. Rada Torment

Rada Torment Community Ambassador (ES)

My post-persistance pvp experience;

I started doing pvp once I got the skills I needed, two months ago approximately.

32 kills / 5 deaths. All pvp enviroment fights, zero duels or using alts (sadly too easy to exploit pvp stats with alts/friends to just add more kill in our history). I want to say that not all those fights were "fair" fights, because we all know that fair combat is non existent in any open pvp world. I did some duels (fair fights), but I'm not taking these ones into the stats.

Knowing the fact that SotA is not, and I guess will never be, a PvP focused MMO, I see these numbers just fine. Nothing too good but not so bad either imho.

It's really great, for the game itself and the community, to find players like you @Audacity, with this attitude and not raging because someone killed you while you are flagged (ironic but true).

We all hope to see more people coming into the game this year.

Vyrin, Fringe, Vrunk Hrrk and 2 others like this.
  13. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Another thread, same thing answers as always.
    Shits broken, the PVP game is weak.
    Doing what we can to stimulate, but with broken and unbalanced skills being the norm, its rough to enjoy.

14. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

Good suggestion :) This is the main reason why I stopped doing PvP :( Unless you have really high level skills, you don't stand a chance! Someone with just "average" skills (40s - 60s) is going to get killed by his opponent (who probably has several GM level skills) nearly every time :eek:

15. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I think this makes a VERY good case for BLUE pvp being an option.

In other words, the faction system many people have been asking for where virtue and aggressive player actions impact if you're "RED" or not. (i.e. like UO)

16. Gix

Gix Avatar

Exactly.

Same here. It's not just because the playing field is a bit more even, but also because it's simply quicker to find people to fight.

Blizzard is also really good at designing skills and effects that sell the fantasy that you're trying to experience. Arcane Missile, Polymorph, Tranquility, Bear Form, Vanish, Gouge, DeathCoil, Soulburn, etc... they're all quick and visceral. So fighting overall feels great!

They've been pushing this "selective multiplayer" idea so maybe they can set it up so that people of similar "power" have increased odds of populating the same scene.

As for team battles, that's what I hope Arena's will end up being there for. Maybe NPCs could shout in the streets whenever people are inside these practically-invisible scenes.

17. Scanphor

Scanphor Avatar

Agreed

18. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

I like that idea!

19. Attenwood

Attenwood Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Hmmmmmmmmmm?

20. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Ok since this needs more clarification - here is why this may be a good idea in the distant future - it is a terrible idea now and why it is a whish list concept.

FIRST the game needs to be finished - Targeting, Story Line, Skills, Crafting , (do I need to go on . . . )

SECOND - (you can fight me al you want about this FACT) PvP in this game ,as it is designed now ,can never achieve balance - NEVER. There will always be a template / skill of the day, this is a result of the FACT that each skill and player can achieve different levels. And as we stand now there are players who will never be able to be reached with the levels they have now, NEVER.

So until you First - FINISH and Second - Figure out how to Balance PvP then, not one second of time should be spent on creating anything game (PORT) generated for PvP tournies or rewards..

FINISH
    BALANCE

then possibly a great idea.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.