Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

If Avatars are projections of ourselves... Nintendo Mii-style Face Generation?

Discussion in 'Release 29 Feedback Forum' started by Crazy Phil, May 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redfish

redfish Avatar

Yea, I think its even a problem with games like The Sims. Even with all the different customizations, the different characters still look similar because they're developed from the same base models and textures.

2. Selene

Selene Avatar

Well, all joking aside, if this gets implemented or not.. there are always people who will strive to make their character as ugly as possible. Some for the laughs and others because they don't like how stereotypically "attractive" character choices in games usually are. I prefer some realism, with a broad selection of choices, some "pretty" and some not.

Although, it does bring up a good point, if characters are modeled after the faces of their players, then calling someone ugly or gross would certainly sting a bit more.

OmniFusion1 and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  3. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Whoa! Where did you find that old picture of Lord British?

CrazyPhil, OmniFusion1 and Gix like this.
  4. helm

helm Avatar

I would actually love this idea, if it only provides a starting point for character customization, i.e. the profile derived from the cam would simply set up the "knobs and levers" to a certain initial position, allowing for further customization (or even a total remake).

If there were some ready-made library that could be integrated without too much development effort, I'd definitely say yes. Very cool. That said, most likely won't happen in Ep1.

CrazyPhil likes this.
  5. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

yeah they have enough for episode 1 already. Any new cool ideas like this would probably be fore later episodes anyway.

If EA is able to do it now (and they aren't known for wasting money on fans), and also there are websites that can make us avatars for free for facebook from a picture, I only imagine that it is a matter of time before we can actually see something like this for SotA become a realistic possibility. Clearly this is not super expensive tech, and perhaps there is even some opensource project out there using facial recognition software that can let anybody set up something like this. However this isn't a necessity either, but cool none the less.

It is worth nothing that the Lord's of the manners have personalized heads. Although I suspect they had artists work on those heads. However my EA head had nobody but a computer to work on it. (joking asside, the EA head imported did look a whole lot like me before I made the character all black, and that was without having a side photo... the software did need upgrades because it was only able to take a front facing photo and my side photo wasn't being uploaded for some reason. It had lots of bugs when I used it a few months ago.)

CrazyPhil and helm like this.
  6. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

I hate the idea. I prefer more choices in customizing our chars instead. FOr reasons selenenoctua said. I really don't want to see males running around as female chars, and visa versa, guess i would have to play in off line or single player online only mode then if that ever gets implemented. Right now the only way i would know if male chars are females etc is if i use team speak or whatever, WHICH I don't for this reason as well. I don't care if men prefer the female avatars and woman the males, as long as a male face is attached to the male avatars, and female faces attached to the female avatars.

Ice Queen likes this.
  7. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

I'm pretty sure Lord British's head is an example of this.

As for the Mii-style face setup, I don't think it's technically much different from what we have now (just a few numbers that get sent to the client to tell what each person's body/face looks like), but I suppose it's a much easier to use method than the typical WRPG character creator like SotA has.

It's hard to understand exactly what all the various knobs do and (at least for those with enough OCD) how much to tweak them to get the look you want. A Mii-style character creator could give much more variation with less fiddling. It might be a bit late in the dev cycle to switch to that, though.

helm likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.