I'm on a boat....

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Jako, Nov 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rild

rild Avatar

Boat times are good times.

Richard did say early on that he envisioned having combat encounters on the transport ships, either a boarding situation or maybe sea monsters. Again, these are on boats that move "on tracks" if you will, not free-moving vessels. Still, seems like a sensible place to start.

If you ever get an invitation from Lord British for a boat party, hang out near the lifeboats. Just sayin'..

Maka and Mishri like this.
  2. smack

smack Avatar

Yep, I do remember that. I hope they are able to do that in Ep1, given that we do have auto-sail boats that take you from the Hidden Vale to the mainland, likely other routes too.

Indeed. He's been known to play some mischievous tricks on his guests :)

Maka likes this.
  3. Maka

Maka Avatar

The first one must be the lords because of the lordly throne on the front.. The second just screams Baron quality with that vast upper deck for entertaining.

Lord Baldrith and smack like this.
  4. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

I think we are running into the issue that Chris mentioned the technology to pull off would be difficult/time consuming. Player owned items moving around not actually in the players possession (pack animals included). I wouldn't think it would be hard to do but he certainly knows a lot more about it than I do. So that is another reason why we likely wont be able to see it in episode one. Some of that might include duplication issues, even blizzard with diablo 3 suffered item duplication, and we know they had a lot of things coded to prevent that, and it was always online.

Player controlled boats wouldn't be such an issue if there was no item storage capable. One thing they can do is say that they aren't sea-worthy, so you need to stay near coastlines, smaller boats, in later episodes release larger ships capable of sea travel. This helps with that whole notion of we know there are other lands out there but we can't see/land on them till later. Boats at this time would also not be persistent to the world, but only to you, otherwise we would quickly be trapped by others, coastlines filled with boats. They may even have to make it so you simply don't see or interact with any boats but your own.

5. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

I think it would be harder to make a boat that goes between instances but just having a boat that worked within the boundaries of am instance would be awesome.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Maka likes this.
  6. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

I imagined boats would only function in the overworld map, not in a zoomed in hex. Also they would have to make it so while on a boat you can't enter a hex. (eliminating river/ocean/lake issues)

7. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

That's interesting to think about I was thinking you could use it for fishing and water battles.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Maka likes this.
  8. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

What if the storage was not actually on the boat but physically in a bankbox of sorts, the only way to access it is via the boat. Yea, just link the container to a place that's not moving.

9. tekkamansoul

tekkamansoul Avatar

I'd imagine so. I don't see any reason why they would have to be persistant, they could function like the raft in Ultima 6, it just sits in your inventory until you use it.
    Or you just have a deed in your inventory, and when you walk on a water hex, you turn into a boat.

10. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

I'm not sure that actually changes anything. technically any container is just a reference to something. The only thing that prevents you from opening your bank box anywhere is game mechanics designed so you can't. Why is it different from a player that moves and has containers? I don't know. I can probably dig up the KS video where Chris mentions the issue, but it would take sometime, and he didn't really explain it anyway.

This may have been on the discussion of house boats that move if I remember right. So this would be the exact issue he shuddered at.

11. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

As far as the mechanics and the coding, everything is all just speculation. We all want to see boats happen, but it won't be during episode 1.

Mishri likes this.
  12. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

Was it U4 where I dug off the side of a boat in a marsh to harvest nightshade at the stroke of midnight for 1 minute. Was all overworld but still possible

13. smack

smack Avatar

The concern was around streaming potentially hundreds of visible items per boat to every player many times per second. If the item is inside a "bag" and not visible to the world, it does not need to be streamed to other players. So imagine in an scene there are 100 players, all moving around on their boats, each boat having 100+ decorated items. The game now needs to stream 10,000+ items to every player many times per second so that each player would have an updated location of where each item is in the world so it can be transformed and rendered appropriately. That is the concern with mobile housing, such as house boats and wagons.

This is not a problem with 100 players having 100+ items in their personal inventory as none of that is seen by anyone else and doesn't exist in the world until it's taken out of the bag and placed on the ground or decorated in a house.

Maka and Sir Isycle like this.
  14. Veylen The AenigmA

Veylen The AenigmA Avatar

No boats then to me its not a spiritual successor to UO

15. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

It isn't. It's RG's Ultimate RPG, spiritual successor of Ultima. Plus, his vision wont be complete till Episode 5, and we will certainly have boats by then because they do want to put them in, just not in the budget for time/money at this point. Also I still think the lack of other lands is a big reason not to allow them.

OSullivan likes this.
  16. Veylen The AenigmA

As long as they eventually get in but if u have to pay 40 bucks for each episode and wait one yer per episode that is a costly wait

Usually devs make such statements or even promises so im pessimistic because non of them yet have actually delivered but like i say if anyone can LB can

Mishri likes this.
  17. smack

smack Avatar

Which is why the (Digital) Explorer tier is such a steal. $135 for all 5 epic games, or $27 each. There's still time to upgrade pledges though. :)

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  18. Veylen The AenigmA

Well if i happen to run across the 100 plus dollars yeah id likely get it cause it is a good deal it would be a no brainer celt im conflicted about paying for something that has a few systems i dont agree with

19. smack

smack Avatar

Good move. Learn more about the game, try it out and if it's something you are happy with, then upgrade your pledge to take advantage of the exclusive perks. So yeah, plenty of time and plenty of Early Releases coming up through end of March to test those core systems.

OSullivan likes this.
  20. Veylen The AenigmA

What pledge level gets a hiuse?

Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.