Increase in taxes ruins my plans

Discussion in 'Player Owned Towns' started by Cianna, May 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. himmelweiss

himmelweiss Avatar

100 per day = 3000 per month
    200 per day = 6000 per month

Eh, i can make 10k+ within 1-2 hours ingame... and my skills are not even leveled now.

If someone can't even spend 1-2 hours a month for his tax rates, then he either shouldn't play games or should stay just homeless.

2. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

It's INSANE and too hight.

Last edited: May 2, 2016
    amaasing, Solazur and Time Lord like this.
  3. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

We always knew the properties would have tax, and we have always been told playing regularly should allow you to pay for a property. 100 gold a day for a row lot (or 36.5k per year) can be had very easily, it may even be higher than that eventually.

Freedom from tax was the pledge funding model for the game. If the tax had no meaning then so did paying double or triple the lot price to pledge.

Hi Cianna, some things to note:

Deeds cost you zero tax when not placed. So until you have someone settled in your town, you won't need to place the deed or pay tax - and presumably the cost of purchasing a property is much higher than paying tax, so these new players could just pay the tax required to keep the deed going (if that is your goal). In fact you could use your tax-free deeds first, have them pay half the tax it would have cost on a taxable lot, and then when using equal numbers of tax+taxable deeds you are faced with 50 gold per day per row lot or 100 gold per day per village lot from the new players (which, again, is NOT hard at all).

I think it is perfectly reasonable to assume a single player will not be able to support a host of taxed lots. If it's no problem for a player to run 5+ lots, then the taxes are meaningless - which will have them fail as a gold sink and have no value in terms of

You can have a row house for 100 gold per day under the new rate - which presumably by the time someone has earned up the money to purchase a house will be pretty simple to obtain. It does not take 1 hour to find 100 gold. You'll have more gold or items to sell for gold than this before you even exit the tutorial scene.

I don't think people should work just to pay the taxes, but that through regular playing it's a portion of what you would pick up naturally. Additionally, the downside to not paying is.... you have to place your house again when you come back to the game. You don't lose your deed or your house or any of your items, they just go to the bank.

I think it is important to note that the taxed deeds is predicated on being a gold sink that is not difficult for someone to maintain. If you have 5 or more deeds then you are paying 5 times as much as a regular player with a home - the system isn't designed to be easy for one person to pay the taxes on 5, 10 or however many lots.

You can still provide low rent to players and they won't need an upfront cost to obtain the home in the first place.

4. Duke William of Serenite

Duke William of Serenite Avatar

I think the old rate is better. Lets not overkill with this rent thing shall we?

5. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

I think this is a pretty extreme response. I hit lvl 73 in R28 and I could farm 5000 gold in 30ish minutes in a normal 4 to 5 skull scene. People may not realize that the best thing to kill is archers because you can still sell bows for almost 100 gp each to the Adoris armor guy in the square. Go out, kill them and store tehm in a chest, when you have enough to fill your invy, run to Adoris and cash in 10K gold.

6. redfish

redfish Avatar

If you're a POT owner you should be able to in your own town, just to set up a nice environment for players both to live in and visit.

POT owners have paid upfront, too, though.

I think giving POT owners tools to collect gold, whether it be through taxes (either from residents or vendors placed on the property, or even public vendors if they add that) or donations, with donation boxes, would be a way to give a lot more flexibility.

helm, Cianna and Time Lord like this.
  7. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

A big part of all this topic would be meaningless if we would get a rent by room Option.
    Even the average row House with a basment could habour between 5-9 peeps.
    The deed tax would be nothing more than a very mild annoyance.

8. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

I would love to see a source for this. To the contrary, taxes for a city lot should be easily manageable by a solo player - that can also equate to a single player owning deeds for and managing eight row lots, or a town and two village deeds... etc.

9. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Why should it be?

Time Lord likes this.
  10. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

If Portalarium is selling 2100$ lot deeds and 700$ city homes for solo players with the intention of locking them out of the game with unmanageable in-game taxes - I'll be very surprised. I think it's a much safer bet that a city lot deed and a city homes are intended for solo play.

Cianna and Time Lord like this.
  11. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Port stated several times that city deeds should be only affortable as a combined project of several players.

12. Jack Knyfe

Jack Knyfe Avatar

I remember this statement as well, and it came from one of the previous post-mortem hangouts.

I also heard this repeated when I visited the Portalarium studio office in October to help them move, when it came up at the lunch discussion in regards to how they would come up with the basic equation (still very much DLMB* at the time) on how they would calculate the taxes. The larger the lot, the increase in taxes to the point where it will take a group effort to maintain the monthly tax rate.

Row - 100g/day
    Village - 200g/day
    Town - 400g/day (guessed)
    City - 800g/day (guessed)

So for the month it tallies out to this:

Row - 3000g/mo
    Village - 6000g/mo
    Town - 12000g/mo (with guessed number)
    City - 24000g/mo (with guessed number)

Individually, this is not unattainable for a single player with one of these lot deeds, if the player is skilled at a level that allows them to farm the higher-tier scenes, and they plan some time during their play time to do so. However, philanthropists wanting to provide free lots to residents and cover the taxes themselves are going to find themselves behind the crosshairs of a very laborious gold grind, the same with one player wanting to have a lot in various different places, or a lot of lots in a single place, etc.

The primary purpose of taxes on lots is to discourage a single player from owning a lot of land in-game, and also to ensure that the land owned in-game is being held by active players. Currently, the tax-free lots have a 120-month grace period before everything is banked, and all you have to do to reset that period is to log in to the game.

There must be balance between:
    • Total number of lot deeds sold
    • Total amount of land available
    Taxing lots is one of the ways to help balance that equation.

* DLMB = Don't Lawyer Me Bro

13. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

~Well Said @Jack Knyfe ~
    You did miss one of the zeros on the Town Lot taxes ($12000 not $1200), but I forgive you for it :)

~The Tax Challenge~
    I just purchased an additional Village POT Lot as well as a Town Lot from the Add-On Store because as a Founder, I do have 2 tax free lots yet I do play "ALLOT!" and I find that when I don't have the need to do something (like paying taxes) then I'm not as well motivated to immerse myself into the financial side of our game. I'm a player who enjoys challenging things in all different class bases of play, be that combat, crafting or by economic trade. Every challenge taken always opens our potential to opening 10 more.

When we think about challenges, those are what we as gamers do crave, along with some ~Zen Zooning Out~ mundane tasks that are borderline virtual reality sleep time ... In this way, having "taxes on my mind" should be adding depth by causing need to play and be virtual reality active in my online pseudo self, or he could just die, becoming starved to death from my neglect. As such a role player, I find it difficult for me to get back "into" that character when I've been away from the game. for extended times. Taxes help me in this way to stay connected if only for short times of "play to pay my taxes"...

~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

Zader and Budner like this.
  14. Jack Knyfe

Jack Knyfe Avatar

Fixed. ;)

Time Lord likes this.
  15. helm

helm Avatar

One more thought about this. You are probably not alone in that kind of RP mission, and if the word spreads that you're helping others, very likely there are folks who would like to chip in. I know I certainly would. I just hope that ingame gold donations would be made easy/convenient enough, and implemented in a way that would be rp supporting.

16. Cianna

Cianna Avatar

That's heartening to hear, @helm. I am determined to make this work, if at all possible. Thanks for the encouragement. :)

Solazur, Beli, Sator Faryn and 2 others like this.
  17. mikeaw1101

mikeaw1101 Avatar

Agreed, the first half of your statement is true. The second half is not very objective. Let's examine the former- just because that was said at one point doesn't necessarily mean it is 'written in stone'. Lots of things promised during early development have morphed into something completely different, or have seemingly been scrapped altogether. Case in point- where are the dynamic town sieges? Solace brigde doesn't count. Are they planning to surprise us in the eleventh hour, and get basically zero (free) testing? Seems illogical considering how they've had us backers test out just about everything else so far. It also sort of feels like they just dropped that cheesy control point deal onto the map, and called it good as far as a siege mechanic goes. Maybe they really are going to surprise us, but if so time is running out- especially for such an all encompassing 'feature' (i.e. it will affect everyone playing the game, whether they participate in the sieges or not- town access). So long story short, I guess my point is that just because a developer said it was going to be in the game doesn't necessarily mean it will actually be in the game, or be recognizable as original proof of concept. Hm, and actually that's true for lots of things and not just software development. If it's a bad idea (*sigh* time will tell I guess), then there's really no compelling reason to place it in the game (not the siege idea- the 100gp/day tax idea lol). I typed this in a rush; hopefully it's not too convoluted.

Time Lord likes this.
  18. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Taxes are fine. Taxation without representation is not. Just give us the opportunity to melt a taxed deed for store credit at the same time that taxes are raised so these go in tandem. This would go a long way in providing backers who supported the game with options to offset such tax surprises vs. feeling helpless to changes.

City lots cost $1K, which is not chump change. Finding out that we need to play the game twice as long daily (after lot purchase) to actually sustain lots also is not chump change (in time). I really do not want to feel like I made a mistake buying a larger sized lot to support the game and have fun. I trust that the dev team will work hard to find some reasonable balance.

Sator Faryn, Cianna, Budner and 2 others like this.
  19. Selene

Selene Avatar

Donation boxes should be in the game shortly, I'm sure there are plenty of players who would be DOING those quests who would be happy to help out. Plus, now we can place more items off lot (like notes and books) so hopefully fewer lots will be needed for such things. :)

20. Rofo

Rofo Avatar

I have a lords Cut Rent in half orb you can have until wipe for your good deeds. (I also think I still have a rent free village I can contribute as well)

After wipe, I don't mind stopping by and knocking the rent down every once in awhile.
    Just give Rofo a whisper when you catch me on, I'll hook you up.

Cianna, Leelu and Time Lord like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.