Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

IndyCar / F1 on Novia Map !

Discussion in 'Release 19 Feedback' started by Abydos, Jun 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

I think the map speed is too fast myself...It is a bit unrealistic to be able to cross an entire continent at this speed...but what would be more realistic is being able to return to places you've already been with magical spells like recall/mark and gate. (I am a UO fan to the end)

Abydos likes this.
  2. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    Thuri, can you explain the gated travel? Are you talking about Lunar rifts, or something else? I know there is going to be some kind of fast travel, but it will come at a cost. I have not heard any more on it. If you have more please share hehe.

3. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

i'm not sure how much CAN be told at this point - this is not direct from the source mind you:

but from what i'd heard - when you go to the next "gate" scene, if it is not contested, you juust then jump to the next one in the chain - but if it is contested, you have to win a short-ish battle - so you can continue.

lets say you jump to a contested gate. and i'm going somewhere else, but i have to use that gate to get where i am. - i get there and jump into the battle WITH you, we win the battle faster, and there's yet another chance for us to group up on one of the others quests we are on - adding even MORE socializing to a very social game.

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  4. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Well that is another can of worms, since that is how it used to be. I believe it is still that way a bit but not to the extreme it was. The encounters were happening so very often with nothing special to them yet and there was a HUGE uproar about it. Every step or two was an encounter, it was horrible.:(

5. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I think the random encounters are even less fun than the slowdown. Slogging through molasses and getting pulled into a scene that I didn't want to go into are two of the most un-fun aspects of this game.

6. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

I guess the saying is true, 'YOU CAN PLEASE SOME OF THE PEOPLE, SOME OF THE TIME, BUT YOU CAN'T PLEASE ALL OF THE PEOPLE ALL OF THE TIME"...

You know they only turned off the terain slow downs, right, so maybe there needs some adjustments, I think the current speed is great for the roadways, but I could deal with losing %5 in dirt, and another %5 in rocky mountains... That would be resonable to me...

7. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

I don't like the new speed. It is way too fast. But if it is in the game for testing purposes only, then I am ok with that as long as it is adjusted in later releases.

Alexander and Abydos like this.
  8. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

This was going to be my point exactly. The reason it feels onerous is that right now it's really just a glorified load screen for the scenes you want to get to. Graphics alone cannot continue to captivate people. So hopefully we will see a much more alive overland map in the future.

Moving slowly has immersion breaking aspects too. For example, the majority of people will live in villages with no services (gathering of food, crafting, markets). In a world with such treacherous and slow travel, how could such communities really exist? In the real world, there are bedroom communities because we can zoom to a grocery store miles away. With slow, treacherous travel, the Novian villages (with all the huge houses!) make no sense. At best they would be clusters of farming huts, but they would have ways to sustain themselves.

I think there is already a workable compromise in the Sprint skill, making it usable on the overland map. For those who want fast travel, and there may be legitimate reasons, allow them to spend precious skill points to achieve it.

9. Moussaka

Moussaka Avatar

I don't get why some people talk about "realism and immersion" when its about the overworld map

How can a map that can be walked upon be realistic?

You can shoot fireballs out of a stick by mumbling some spells but everything else has to be as real as it is on earth?

First priority: it should be fun and not frustrating (try to find a new place on novia in the dark as a newbie without the help of online maps or someone run infront of you)

In UO we could travel instantly with recall and moongate, we still have magic spells and stuff but now we should walk dozens of minutes to get from a to b?

Speed is ok for me now, it feels so fast because it was sooo slooow before, I think it's just right now and I can live without recall and moongate if it stays like that

10. Andrew Rodrick

Andrew Rodrick Avatar

I feel it's a bit too fast and agree it seems to have gone from one extreme to the other and so I'd like to see it toned down a little, not close to the sloth speed it was previously however. Maybe 10-15% slower would be a nice in-between speed.

Lord Baldrith and Beli like this.
  11. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

Here's something to think about: When roaming encounters are placed on the map, those monsters will be able to walk as fast as we walk. So, in the likely chance that we will probably want to try to get places while often avoiding these, how fast do you want them to move? I'm for slower moving monsters, even if that means I move slower too. ;-)

My thinking is that because the map is largely void of these or any other encounters at the moment, that is the reason for the increased speed. when the map becomes more populated (and less boring), the speed will be brought down again. :)

ThurisazSheol likes this.
  12. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

You don't need to understand it. It is a fantasy game. There are players that actually try to play the game immersive as possible. I understand there are those that do not care for game content and that want to skip over scenes just because they feel like they are in a hurry. I guess my answer would be what is your hurry? If the game is not fun for you maybe you should just accept that its not for you instead of changing it to be like every other game out there. If your idea of fun is not having the overland map, and being able to zone/teleport/recall instantly you might not like this game also. There are reasons for everything and the "I want instant/fast travel because I want it or I will take my ball and go home" argument is lame. I do not mind the speed right now in pre alpha, but I hope they will start weaning the people off of it way before launch or you will have a bunch of addicts that will be jonesing and possibly need rehab once the game starts.

13. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Like the new, faster speed. I guess it may detract from "realism" for some, but was the map EVER realistic, at all? I mean, you go through a mountain range in 20 seconds even when the avatars were moving slower. The overland map has always been traveled at hyper-fast speed when you consider geographic scale. Going from Kingsport to Owl's Head took, what, a minute? There was never any realism on the overland map, not even a shred of it.

Anyway happy to be moving faster. Gets me to my destination quicker, which immerses me more in the parts of the game I actually want to be immersed in, as opposed to the farce of slow overland travel.

14. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Ask yourself why where roads invented. I beg to differ budner with your analogy about immersion. Skipping content and bypassing the game as intended is not called immersion. There are words for it but its not immersion.

15. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Immersion is in the eye of the immersed, Ravicus. ;)

I'm not skipping content. I'm speeding through content I've already seen 100 times. Walking half as fast does not, in any way, increase the "content" of the game. It does however, increase the "monotony" and "drudgery" of the game. :(

Which is why I've always argued for an option to control speed over the overland map. So you can enjoy your version of immersion, and I can enjoy mine. :)

16. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Ya, I dont want to make it miserable for anyone. :) I just dont want it watered down because some people dont think its fun. Your opinion is just as valid as mine. We could go tit for tat on why we like it or dont. So other than you wanting to speed through the content and you not finding it fun, is there any reason why you need to have this feature? I stated above many reasons for why I think I want it in game, not just because I want to penalize anyone. Realism for me relates directly to immersion. Mountains should not be easily traversed, forests should not be easily crossed. Monsters should be more in abundance in off road areas. PvP teams should travel in groups and if a call for aid goes out they have to take a little time to get there. Stuff like that. I understand that many people are used to the instant fast travel aspects of other games, but in my opinion this is not how this game is supposed to be. So I try to counter the easy mode arguments with actual reasons for having it slow and immersive.

17. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Well I'm sure the Devs are with us on this. They know the content is not in yet so things operate a bit differently now than they would at release or when the content is there to make a happier player base. I don't know why having a temporary fix to a problem during pre alpha will spoil the game. If it is appropriate and fun to slow down the speed later fine when map content etc is added. :)

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
  18. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

It is strictly a travel speed issue for me. Note that there can, and should, be choke points on the map, as well as random encounters provided they are vastly improved over their current state. I'm not suggesting removing such potentially immersive/fun features from the game.

19. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Overland travel needs ro be about 3/4 what it is now and the devs just need to put a speed in and let it go until release.

This Topic needs to be Shelved, Both sides have exhaustively explained their views and all this thread is , is a duplicate in opposite of to slow.

Both sides will NEVER agree.

After all aspects are integrated, perhaps one or two releases prior to publish then tweak it.

For now all these threads, as they are the same topic should be merged.

20. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

I wonder how many people realize the speed you are travelling at now, is the same speed you travelled at before the changes. The only difference is that Chris bumped up the off-path speed (the speed assigned to woods and mountains) to be the same as the path speed. The result is that where the hex grid is designated not a path but something else, you no longer slow down. Because the hex data didn't match the terrain data (terrain data being what you see on the screen), sometimes you moved slower while on a path. Now when you bump into the wrong hex data it doesn't slow you down, so you move faster.

Personally, after they change the data, as part of R20, I hope they go back to different speeds. Maybe they need to have a more granular design approach. Instead of three terrain types (paths, forests, mountains or maybe it was something else but there are only three speeds) there needs to be more granularity(paths plains,, hills, light forest, dense forest, mountains, etc).so that speeds seem more forgiving when you vary off the highest speed paths. Chris also mentioned making paths a bit bigger as part of the next iteration, not sure if that would be just the underlying hex data or the visible terrain.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.