Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

IndyCar / F1 on Novia Map !

Discussion in 'Release 19 Feedback' started by Abydos, Jun 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

WoWo !!!! My Avatar is ultra fast on the World Map !!!

Unfortunately, I find it a bit ridiculous and poorly adapted to the game.

I know we have already talked a lot about it, but seriously ...

Net, Katrina Bekers, Hazard and 4 others like this.
  2. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Ahhh I love it. I'd like it to stay please don't listen. It has made my exploration on the map so much more enjoyable. No one said it had to be permanent if there is a good reason for it, but since the map is our travel, please keep it so we can move, I hate slow off road exploration and we did just have this discussion, true:)

Budner, Arianna, Krohon and 1 other person like this.
  3. Krohon

Krohon Avatar

It's not an exercise of diplomacy, I really agree with both Abydos and majoria70.

As a test, I run from Ardoris to Soltown... it took me about 90 sec. to deliver some mail, of which just 15 secs of outdoors traveling. Well, it don't feel right, I expected to travel longer between towns, even if I were using a horse.

On the other hand, we are in pre-Alpha and we likely wish to explore a lot, all the map, every month or so. Speed is OK now.

Senash Kasigal and Abydos like this.
  4. Malchor1

Malchor1 Avatar

A bit too fast. At least through some of the rougher terrain. Somehow i thought traversing thick forests, desserts and hills would naturally slows things up a bit

Hazard, Abydos and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  5. Alexander

Alexander Avatar

I feel that it has gone from one extreme to the other. ( from too slow to too fast ). Hopefully, this will be balanced out to a speed that everyone can accept.

Beli, Hazard and Abydos like this.
  6. redfish

redfish Avatar

Btw, the move speed was just bumped up to the same move speed we have within scenes (5.813). It was once slower (3.836).

Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
  7. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

OMG!!!!!!

What's a poor dev group to do. For one group its to slow.For another group it's fast. Sounds like Goldilocks all over again. I guess the devs should just say Screw you all and do what they think is right.

8. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Hmmm well again as I said I absolutely love it. I am not having to click on my numlock key for shear patience to get from one spot to another. Well the Indy thing in the title made me thing perhaps someone will create a map racing contest. Put people all over the map to see the progress and shoot of the gun with rules and such and off we go. Why is torture wanted, I have not hear 'the good argument' for slow map travel. I have heard it should not be this way and that is not good enough to me. People run home from work have a few hours to get some stuff done and then bam slow travel on the map so they finally reach their destination and then it is time for bed and to start all over again the next day. Who is trying to make the slowness rules and could someone please explain why this keeps coming up? People who have only a few hours to play a day due to work and home commitments do not need to take hours to get to their location. They perhaps come home, see the wife and kids, eat dinner, quality time, kids to bed, jump in the game for a bit and off to bed themselves to get up and do it again. Oh well just my little rant;)

Arianna likes this.
  9. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    Well Majoria, you have your opinion and it certainly differs from mine. This debate has gone around and around. There has been many valid points on why things slow down on the map and tat it takes time to go from point a to point b. Realism and immersion. For me it has to make sense. You cannot logically run up and down treacherous mountains at the same speed you can run down a road. You cannot Run through a dark forest with many fallen timbers and obstacles blocking your way. Off the road is a more dangerous environment with many monsters and spiders and such. These will be appearing on the overworld map soon. The random encounters happen and will get you! More frequently at night and when you travel off road. You said it takes you "Hours" to travel from place to place, thats kind of a stretch dont you think? You also state that people have families and limited time. Is this a valid reason for breaking the game for others that do have the time? Maybe those people should not play this game if they dont have the time to play it. Like you, I don't want to sound harsh, but I am so sick of everyone wanting to break the game just because they want instant gratification. There are tons of games out there that will let you run, teleport, zone, recall, and all the above. I dont know if you played ultima 3 but in that overland map you moved slow as hell and you got pulled into random encounters all the time. This is the spiritual successor to the ultima series. Many of us do NOT want the hand holding, instant gratification game. Sure there are many more that do. Another reason that I like is if you are in pvp and you attack some one and he gets on Teamspeak and hollers for help from a friend. Its gonna take them a bit to get there to help. Its gonna keep the battle fair. I got a lot more ideas but am tired of this long post anyway lol. Majoria I respect you and your opinions but I differ greatly on this one.

Abydos and Krohon like this.
  10. redfish

redfish Avatar

@majoria70,

With the old speed, it took less than 5 minutes to go across the whole continent, from Ardoris to Vertas Pass. And most travel isn't really that. People shouldn't exaggerate and say they don't have time to do it. Even if you're just playing an hour, spending a couple of minutes on travel isn't a big deal; and I believe travelling will be a big part of the game.

The travel time should just be whatever the devs determine is appropriate.

Abydos, Alexander and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  11. redfish

redfish Avatar

Personally, I agree with the others that the new speed is too fast for the scale. I brought up the issue of speed vs. time in another thread just because I think it was the speed, not the time, trying some people's patience. But its too fast with the current scale, and probably too fast even if they increase the scale. I was thinking that something like a 10% speed increase might help player perception.

But its up to the devs where they want to take it. I just hope travel time remains decent, so we can have a large scaled world.

smack, Hazard, Abydos and 2 others like this.
  12. Selene

Selene Avatar

Ok y'all. Don't make them take away my blazing speed! I think the fast map speed is a great COMPROMISE while they are working on the permanent replacement for /zone. Right now the shipping routes are not in place and the replacement for zone is not available. There is a time and a place for immersion, just like there is a time and a place for testing and reporting bugs. We are in the stage for the latter...I'll be more interested in immersion when we get a little closer to release.

Arianna, Krohon, Abydos and 1 other person like this.
  13. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

I do agree with this slightly, but I caution against it for one reason: It will be like taking candy from a baby. Or replacing your corvette with a pinto station wagon. OMG I am gonna need earplugs when they slow people down again lol.

Abydos and Hazard like this.
  14. redfish

redfish Avatar

I honestly think its made into it a bigger deal than it is. ;>

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  15. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

I know lol but am I wrong?

16. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I like it. However, I wouldn't mind if they reimplemented a slowdown when you leave the trail, as long as the trail is truly clear and the slowdown when off the trail is not less than half speed (not the one-third speed of before). I also would like for mounts (i.e. coconuts) to be usable on the world map.

17. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

no no and no to slower off road travel, that was the part that made me craziest. I want to cut corners and take a lovely jaunt thru the trees and over the mountains, why must we be tortured and the Devs have given in for now. Let us just play the game or for some don't;)

**oops corrected gave to given** tenses are so important,well for me, it was drilled in someplace;)

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
    Budner likes this.
  18. smack

smack Avatar

We're preoccupied about the speed because there's nothing else interesting about the overworld. Our brains on narrowly focused on that as all we want to do is get from one POI to another because there's nothing to do on the overworld, and there's technically not much our avatars can do. When all the visual polish is added, with interesting interactive elements put in place, we won't be as mentally focused on speed.

I'm actually hoping with roving encounters that they give us a scenario where there's a sleeping MOB (perhaps dragon :)) and we have to slow down and possibly even use stealth skills to move around it or face its wrath if we wake it up. Get creative and suggest more "experiences" that entices us to speed up / slow down. Having a singular constant speed at all times is also boring, even if it does gets us where we want to go quicker.

Vyrin, majoria70 and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  19. Woftam

Woftam Avatar

Why not keep the accelerated speeds but have an increased chance of roving encounters as you leave the relative safety of the roadways. Possibly in the range of 50% more chance, which would act as a speed-break for those willing to risk the shortcut without actually being snail pace.

smack and SeleneNoctua like this.
  20. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

i see several sides of this..

going fast on the overland map is nice. it helps you get to where you need to be faster. helps you keep focus on your task at hand. is fairly pleasent speed in my opinion. - if this world was procedurally generated, and ever expanding as fast as we can move, or faster, then i'd agree that this is the right speed to go.

HOWEVER - i do think this speed is good, if mounted, and a bit slower for unmounted travel. when the roaving patroles and random-ish encounters get properly implemented, i think it'll be fine.. just fast and just slow enough a pace.

also knowing that we're going to have gated travel - and how that will work with contesting it etc... i don't think the speed thing is an issue, in the long-game. short game, until we have said gated travel, i think we should keep the speed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.