Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Is blink too OP for open PVP?

Discussion in 'Release 31 Feedback Forum' started by Xail, Jul 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Athanil

Athanil Avatar

Personally i think the range of blink at higher levels and a high air attunement is a bit too much. 36 range for a spell that let's you instantly move from one spot to another is a bit much if you can cast it without any type of cooldown/casting time. To put this in a better perspective, the range of my bow skills is currently 27.6. So i think blink is a tad too easy to get close to someone. I'm all for ways for melee types to get close to a ranged adversary, but getting it done at barely any cost and under a few seconds is a bit much.

My hope is that they limit the range of blink to a certain number lower then it is now and then will start giving us a bonus to height instead. God knows we need some more tactical combat. It will be so much fun to blink to a ledge just out of reach..

2. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

I have my blink at gm, with my whole air school gmed, my range is 30.7 . To have a range of 36, would require a lot of exp, you should have something to show for all that exp into a skill. As well, you do not need to one shot someone out of stealth, its called cc, and many people have killed people without them even having a chance to fight back, especially when you get them unbuffed. We also need to take into consideration the fizzle on blink is high, meaning you need to wear weaker armor just to be able to use it to full effectiveness. Since you know this, maybe dont pick a melee build, and if you do chose to be melee still then knowing this, maybe dont blame the game, but blame you own choice.

3. devourerofmemes

devourerofmemes Avatar

I think the real issue is the cooldown being too short while locked, believe me I want to run my build with 4 sec blink and 45 range fire arrow with dash and sprint active in open pvp. However I know it's not balanced well, so I'm bringing it up even though it's a nerf to my open pvp deck.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
  4. Xail

Xail Avatar

I have picked a bow build...how is it pertinent with the thread?...it is not about me or you...it is about general game mechanics...

DuKe NuKeM likes this.
  5. devourerofmemes

devourerofmemes Avatar

Fire Reach Increases range and radius of fire spells. Fire arrow starts at 29.

DuKe NuKeM likes this.
  6. Net

Net Avatar

Blink is still way too weak with its limitations if you ask me. It works only in some areas, but if used properly, it can help a lot. The distance you can blink to can get large, yet the smallest of bushes will prevent you from blinking behind it.

7. Spinok

Spinok Avatar

no its not, Net said reason why.

DuKe NuKeM likes this.
  8. Gix

Gix Avatar

True but if they didn't require a target to use, you'd still be able to close in on them.

DuKe NuKeM likes this.
  9. Xail

Xail Avatar

I weigh Net and your opinion high...if you say so probably you are right...thanks for the clarification...^^

Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
    DuKe NuKeM likes this.
  10. Matholith

Matholith Avatar

Blink, while imo, is certainly advantageous for mages vs a melee isn't that OP. Versus another mage who is aware of blink and can anticipate it is almost a dead skill on your bar. So, ya. For a pure melee build it pretty much just wrecks you. We could argue this is an example of something that might need balancing. But, I don't think that should really come in the form of nerfing blink. It should come in the form of buffs to melee. I honestly have no idea what that could be (hey, i'm no PvP mechanics designer :D ) but melee needs something. As it stands right now, all melee's in PvP worth their salt use some form of ranged spells/gap closers. I.E. obsidian arrow, charge, body slam, lightning, fire arrow

I play a mage. I LOVE playing mages. But, I think melee needs some sort of love right now to help bring diversity to PvP. The big problem right now is mages dominate at higher levels vs other builds. Where's the stealth? Where's the melee? Where's the diversity? We shouldn't be asking ourselves, "Is blink OP?" We should be asking, "Where is the diversity?"

11. Bluefire

Bluefire Avatar

I think the real question would be "Is PVP too overpowered for balance?" In my experience the answer is an abysmal yes in all MMO games I've ever played.

DuKe NuKeM likes this.
  12. Xail

Xail Avatar

....trying blink...I have never missed it...bushes does not seems to be a problem at all till now...

DuKe NuKeM likes this.
  13. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

shakes fist of fury at Xail, why must you always ask for the nerfing of my skills lol :p , the only thing i can say is that it does take skill and timing to use correctly, i have used chaotic step just as effectively but i am almost always a ranged combatant.

DuKe NuKeM and Xail like this.
  14. Xail

Xail Avatar

...it is just that I'm trying to do come up with an original build for net release but it seems I always hit a wall... :)

Retro, DuKe NuKeM and Moonshadow like this.
  15. Xail

Xail Avatar

...probably I should ask for buffs in other areas instead of nerfs...I just would like to avoid doing an air mage...

DuKe NuKeM, Spinok and Moonshadow like this.
  16. Spinok

Spinok Avatar

I partly agree with it.
    1) Air magic need a nerf, last nerf was bad nerf, it just completely killed archers,(every high level archer is a mage not an archer) but not nerfed air mage power at all. 400+ dmg by stacked CL it`s not good.
    2) Why I think that Blink is not OP: a) its hard to use and any bushes prevent you b)you cast axe glyph, i cast blink = i will be 100% knockedback at the blink destination point, so its not help to avoid attacking spells.

In R27 I played pure archer, with no discharge, L and CL. It was really nightmare, you couldnot tank at all, you couldn`t do AOE farming, you develop extremely slow. When I look now on chance to stun with 140 air attunament, I understand that this nightmare will come again just after the wipe.
    Also stun mechanics that you can just jump and stun will be broken is stupid.

How to balance it all?? Its a difficult question. IMHO the best way is:
    1) Dramatically increase the chance of miss(or fizzle) of atacking glyph.
    2) Make evade skills work on glyphs.
    3) Make stun made by glyphs same mechanic as mesmerize.
    4) Make stun caused by usuall atack not avoidable by jumping.

DuKe NuKeM likes this.
  17. Matholith

Matholith Avatar

Didn't nerf air? Have you seen the mana cost on lightning? My lightning at GM costs me 27 focus without Stillness bonus on top of the 10% less focus cost of glyphs in the Focus tree. Not to mention the absolute neutering of discharge. Discharge is practically useless today. The biggest reason why air was problematic was because lightning was BUGGED. Not because air was ridiculously OP. Most magic schools hit ridiculously hard if you get high enough attunement in them. As for PURE archer builds, well, I'm sorry. But, trying to do a 'pure' build is just asinine in PvP, because everyone else will have taken up other skills, and as it stands, going into magic complements ranged very well. Also, it doesn't make sense to be nerfing mage's very much right now. There are so many other underwhelming skills in other trees that all you see is mages because of that. Buff other stuff and we will see diversity. But as mages stand, they're fine in power. Everything else is just too damn weak.

18. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

We are having to go to naked fights in the tourney between the top guys. Nerfing is going to make this worse, we need some buffs. I do not mean mages need buffs, I mean buff the ones that really need it.

Fister Magee and Vox Aquila like this.
  19. Xail

Xail Avatar

1: Why you talk about lighting? lighting can be blocked...chain-lighting can not...lighting cost way more focus than chain-lighting...lighting does way less damage than chain-lighting...so if I'm not missing anything you were just misleading using lighting as an example...

2:I can do a mainly air mage and be super effective in PVE and PVP...I can't with archery, I can't with death magic, I can't with earth magic, I can't with any melee tree, I can't with fire, etc etc..

20. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

everyone seems to lump people into pure builds, a classless system CANT balance PVP to be equal for purebuilds and hybrids

after final wipe im playing a pure moonmage, make me viable in top tier pvp or i rage...

Fister Magee likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.