Is Global Chat a bad thing? POLL ADDED

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Brian4, Sep 28, 2018.

?

Would you Like a Global chat Channel?

1. yes

68 vote(s)
    54.8%
  2. no

45 vote(s)
    36.3%
  3. Does not bother me

11 vote(s)
    8.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

Okay, may I have the server name again just to be sure?

And yes, there are plenty of players that can mod the chat for in-game rewards. The Bug Brigade is a perfect example of that. In fact, I daresay that a lot of holes in Ports staffing, such as Community Relations (Streamers, Social Media, Forums) can be staffed by players because, honestly, a lot of do these things already in very unorganized but dedicated manner such as @Vladamir Begemot on Reddit and @Dulayne for streamers. That would not only increase interest and activity for players interested in becoming "community leaders" but also stretch our reach positively in the MMO greater communities @DarkStarr.

Witcheypoo, Dulayne and Dhanas like this.
  2. Tazar

Tazar Avatar

Um.... I *AM* a player moderator on the forums and discord... but it is pure volunteer work rather than pay by cotos, etc. due to the regular screams of favortism. I am not even allowed be considered for contests, etc. due to it.

And no - for in-game stuff, it really needs to be an employee to avoid labor laws and other liabilities... as well as to prevent more of those favoritism claims. Feel free to search for info on the UO Seer and Councilor programs and the lawsuits from them for more info on why these should not be volunteer helpers in game.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
    Jaesun and Vladamir Begemot like this.
  3. Dhanas

Dhanas Avatar

I am sorry you aren't payed for your work, but this has nothing to do with the request of a global chat, I hope they provide you something for your job ( even if cotos, or addon store item) and I am happy if they implement a global chat and look for other moderators for this. ( I don't mean you have to moderate the global chat too).

They cannot afford to pay dollars for moderators, so at the moment they can just provide addon store item, it's even better than nothing

4. Tazar

Tazar Avatar

But working on the game directly would lead to a lawsuit for wages when some moderator gets removed for bias or other problems... a lawsuit that would have the state workforce commission behind the complaintant against Portalarium. It was very expensive for EA/UO. I really do not think Port's resources need to be used in that way.

5. Dulayne

Dulayne Avatar

This is why there are things called waivers. However at the same time this is going off topic to the point of discussing the idea of an in-game global chat; not about the ins and outs of discord etiquette.

6. Dhanas

Dhanas Avatar

Honestly I saw also private servers of other games having a global chat moderated by players with little rewards. I know it's not the best, but since sota now is at his start and need more found it should be a good solution for me, having a global chat with players moderating instead that not having it at all.

7. Alleine Dragonfyre

Sounds to me like the agreement wasn't well written 20 years ago. I think we've learned a lot since then. Where there is a will and a few brain cells, there is a way. I'm trying to come up with logical solutions and ideas to help and create a more comprehensive and inclusive community and all you can say is NO WE CANNOT. Dude...

Witcheypoo and Dhanas like this.
  8. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Oh man, ouch! Thanks for your sacrifice.

Witcheypoo likes this.
  9. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Logical solutions don't necessary apply when there are court judgements that can be used as a basis for a lawsuit, frivolous or not. Even if its unfounded, it can cost the company a lot of money, so why in the world would they put themselves in the position?

The whole issue of global chat has come up so many, many times. It has never been that they are limiting global chat to the Noble's Orb (its not, it is also available to guilds, groups, and direct whisper, and formerly to Discord integration). In fact, one of the proposed solutions has been to require a Add-On Store/CotO purchase of a Ornate Orb allowing access to another global chat channel. This has several benefits; its completely opt-in, so players who have no interest don't need to be immediately subject to spam; it requires a purchase, so it limits those who would abuse it (if a spammer gets their access removed, they are out real cash); and there would be a place to note that purchase of the orb does provide access to unmoderated chat, but that community standards are still upheld so reminds them to report any abuse.

Personally, I've yet to play in an MMO where I didn't turn off global chat channels as soon as possible, so not having one here is somewhat of a blessing. However, I do understand why some newer players might want access to it. I'm fine with that... as long as I don't have to deal with the inevitable sewer that it becomes.

Witcheypoo and Vladamir Begemot like this.
  10. Jackrabbit

Jackrabbit Avatar

While you are correct about your yard, I think the issue you are having a hard time overcoming is the fact that the server isn't 'your' server. Just like when you go to the store and someone puts a flyer on your car, you don't own that parking lot. It's up to the owner to allow that or not (just like Discord channels) and it's up to you to decide if you want to shop there or not, knowing the risks that you don't control the world.

This is a big part of the community's fault as to why we have so many issues.

A good way to build a game that was inclusive of all would be to simply add global chat, and have a switch that allows people to turn it on or off. Problem solved, everybody still has the option to have what they want.

Instead, we argue about 'our' inconvenience and claim ownership of things we don't own, and when that doesn't work we get down to the real action of calling names and denigrating opposing ideas and their proponents.

11. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

Im sure many people from the community would volunteer to do it even for free .

12. Dhanas

Dhanas Avatar

This is something exclusive too, selling an item for $ or cotos for having access to the global chat it's not different from the royal orb, something that make new players feel the game P2W, something that SOTA doesn't need at all.

13. Tazar

Tazar Avatar

Wavers were signed with the full authority and backing of Electronic Arts. Do you really thing their lawyer team couldn't do it to the best of the ability possible? The bottom line is that such activity is in violation of labor laws despite any such agreement. Again... the mighty EA could not stand up to it... do you think Port can even afford to try?

As to private servers - those are "not for profit" and as such totally different labor laws apply and allow volunteers without issue.

Sorry about your *Ideas* @Alleine Dragonfyre - but as you lay it out, it violates labor law and leaves major liability to a small company. It might be a quick way to drive it under and I don't think either of us want that.

Jaesun and Sher Shadowleaf like this.
  14. Black FjP

Black FjP Avatar

I really see no issue with having the option. Would it be less of an issue if it started off and you had to actively turn it on? And it was just policed by people reporting spam or crappy behaviour? You could literally just block anyone who offends you on it.

15. Jackrabbit

Jackrabbit Avatar

The problem with this of course is, it would require some mouse clicks, possibly even have to read someone's name or something, which is totally unrealistic to expect someone to make that sacrifice just for the mere purpose of allowing the free flow of ideas and information in the game.

</end sarcasm>

16. Tazar

Tazar Avatar

Report to who unless you hire moderators to handle many more calls than they have now?

17. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

18. Black FjP

Black FjP Avatar

It could be mostly automatically moderated, if a person recieves (insert arbitrary number) reports from different sources, over (insert arbitrary amount of time) then they get flagged as not being able to use global chat temporarily, then if it continues they get banned, if people are abusing this system then that player can petition.

Or just foregoe all that and block people who are spamming or being terrible in the chat. That is a nice self moderation.

19. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

That would be ideal, however it assumes tech that does not already exist in the game. It could easily be in addition to any of the other methods of restricting access, once they have it, without preventing chat from being added initially..

That's how the forums work. How well do you think that works? Oh wait... the forums are ALSO heavily moderated.

20. Alleine Dragonfyre

Again, I know there are other games out there that do have community mods. I think you're making things up using 20 year old examples for an industry that's come a long way since then.

I did a search and came up with about 4 examples of current volunteer in-game mods but Warframe was the best, most recent example. Here is their recruitment page.

Dhanas likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.