Is it me, or is it pay to win

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bornhald, Jun 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. draykor darkale

draykor darkale Avatar

Which he can buy for real money, so yeah thats not much of a downside,also starts out with 20x more in game currency than me. Which is why its a fundamentally flawed logic from Ara. Although logic is being kind.

Just looked at this persons posts, that is one sad angry bitter person :S

2. Bornhald

Bornhald Avatar

He can't buy unlimited extra in game funds, but he has a significant head start and given equal play time and skill there is no way to catch up

3. draykor darkale

draykor darkale Avatar

Agreed. I am a big fan of SC, its a great game with a really good crowd funding strategy, it is not however, as Ara likes to claim, an even field in anyway shape or form.

Kaisa likes this.
  4. Ara

Ara Avatar

Rules been clear dont make it any more funny. And of course it will stay the same, it is to late for changes now.

It is funny when you get outside the fanbois sphere you see another view on this game then the one is discussed here. http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.c...s-a-devoted-fan-of-all-ultima-until-this.html People dont seem to like this crowd sourcing model but i can of course understand that the ones that payed hundreds or thousands of dollars into the game defend their investment, nothing strange with that.

So was it a smart move to create this elite game fore the real life rich?

I doubt it.

Star Citizen seems to have the better crowd sourcing model with their +47 million raised so far. I think that speak for itself.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/

5. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

You solicited opinions by virtue of posting, yet seem anathema to give a crud about previous discussions.

You also solicited an exact answer by virtue of your topic's implication, I gave it, and your first reply seemed to indicate my content was not helpful, yet now you complain I provide no substance other than to point out an obvious ignorance of the search feature.

Cheers.

6. Akrondar

Akrondar Avatar

Last time i checked, you could get SOTA at only $25 and get a great single and multiplayer experience with a rich story and a lot of features.

Rich people you say?

7. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

He's obviously talking about the multiplayer game.

For my part (and probably his, too), the multiplayer game is the only part that concerns me whatsoever. Truth be told, I couldn't care less about the single player game, especially where it comes to balancing issues that are only relevant to multiplayer.

8. Ara

Ara Avatar

You dont get a house for 25$.

So if you want that kind of advantage you have to pay alot of money.

Only certain individuals can afford that and that is what make it a elite game for the real life rich.

9. Ara

Ara Avatar

Single player version of SotA is uninteresting.

I pledged to play a PvP game close to UO.

10. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

You can get a house in game.

11. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

You are wrong. A house doesn't give you an advantage, it gives you an opportunity. Get rich or die trying.

12. draykor darkale

draykor darkale Avatar

I read the thread, its pretty much 90% people defending the game and a small minority dissatisfied (also hideously outdated), what are you trying to claim, again people don't like SC crowdfunding either, in fact google shroud of the avatar pay to win nets 130k hits, star citizen 36 million, the first google hits are primarily people calling SC pay to win whereas SoTA barely has any actual pay to win threads. You're seriously wrong on so many fronts its untrue, both games have there detractors, saying one games model is prefered because it has X amount is just the icing on the cake, there is no shortage of niche sandbox mmorpgs, but there is very much a derth of high quality space sims. You don't know the industry and you don't know what you're talking about.

13. Akrondar

Akrondar Avatar

But that are your personal preference about the game. I want a sucecsor of previous ultimas with a multiplayer twist to play with family/friends.

14. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

Which is fine. But you can't use the argument that there is a great single player game for $25 that comes with the multiplayer game to shut down arguments that the business model being used isn't good for the multiplayer game. :p After all, I'm pretty confident Ara doesn't care how much free stuff people get in the single-player game. That doesn't affect him one bit.

15. Akrondar

Akrondar Avatar

I think that is the problem, Ara probably is morally affected. And i can understand that. What is the difference if i go to play UO right now and try to get a place to put a house? How would i feel about the fact that the "best" plots are already taken? The people that have them paid for gold on ebay or worked hard ingame to get the necessary gold?. Makes that really a difference?.

My take is, i dont care that much. I am not a competitive guy (in the material way of thinking), and what i want about the game isnt related necessarily to a house.

smile1930 and Lord Trenyc like this.
  16. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

There is a fundamental difference, though, which is that the houses that exist in UO were in fact earned over time by players in some way, shape, or form. They might change hands after that fact by way of a secondary market (eBay, etc.), but they all required someone to earn the gold that paid for that house and find the location to place it.

One issue that often gets missed in these discussions is that all the players who are receiving lots are not locked out from participating in that competitive economy. The lots and houses we are being given are tax free, so in terms of their impact on our ability to acquire more lots or houses, they have zero impact. That means that all the players who cannot or will not spend the money to get a lot will be competing directly with many of the players who already have lots for acquiring one of the remaining available lots.

Now carry this reality into your example of UO. Imagine what UO housing had been like if 67% of all available house spots in the game were taken at launch. Obviously this isn't at all a perfect corollary because UO's housing features were very different from SotAs and because SotA will likely offer many more house lots, but it's a decent illustration of the difference this reality can make. I'd bet dollars against donuts you would not have seen the same names on the list of players with successful moongate shops. :)

Bornhald likes this.
  17. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

has this become the 3rd grade playground?

18. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

The entire world is a 3rd grade playground. ;)

19. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Might start posting the 'mom' jokes soon ;)

Bornhald likes this.
  20. Bornhald

Bornhald Avatar

Since this topic is being read, i hope to find an answer to this question:
    the tax free homes, they only come with an upgrade of ones pledge level and not for the plots bought separately as add-on or am I mistaken?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.