Is it me, or is it pay to win

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bornhald, Jun 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

Plot of land obtained via pledge is tax free.
    Plot of land purchased any other way is taxed.

Homes to place on your plot of land are not taxed.

2. Ara

Ara Avatar

Getting to place before all players that couldnt afford to pledge for a house give you an advantage.

In the center of the main city will be a good spot for a merchant vendor.

3. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

And what is the "main" city? No one knows....you won't even know where the traffic is at the start. On Europa right at the start...who would have known that Yew Gate would be a PvP area......Despise entrance was for a while...then it wasn't. Brit was the major town to sell items...go there now and it's dead.

Fact is at launch you still take a gamble on where you think the traffic might be.....truth is ... You have no idea.

robatzen, Lord Baldrith and Kaisa like this.
  4. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

I feel like I am watching a tennis match stuck in a loop.

5. Duke Death-Knell

Duke Death-Knell Avatar

center of what city? There will be multiple starting points, best spots will be more towards the action. But where will that be? Right now we're on a small island but come launch it will be a much bigger continent. People who have houses will be placing them with no idea what's happening where and where the "good" spots are.

Lord Baldrith and Kaisa like this.
  6. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Don't make me pull this car over! ;)

Keira, The One, Lord Baldrith and 3 others like this.
  7. Dame Lori

Dame Lori Avatar

So?

If you can't afford the money, put in the effort. Make a shop that is worth visiting. There were tons of vendors in UO that were in the middle of nowhere that were very popular. Create a point of interest that is worthy of being advertised on forums or fansites like SotATravelGuide.com.

Look into vendor malls that will probably pop up.

Make friends and share a house with another.

Save up your gold. Lots in all locations will be traded as people move about, including central lots.

They also said there will be city bazaars - you do not even need a house to have a vendor in a main city. (unless this has changed and I did not hear)

8. Ara

Ara Avatar

It is not rocket science to figure out what spots will be the attractive ones for a merchant.

Inner city spots will be attractive since there will be many players roaming through such areas.

9. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

If you have a good merchant, it doesn't matter where it is....people will come.

Lord Baldrith, smile1930 and Kaisa like this.
  10. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Which main city? Wouldn't the front near the entrance be better? What about those small villages that unite together and form a crafting alliance?

The best spot is not so cut and dry. 2 months into the game and they add a major story arch with 5 hexes in some random area become the front lines. The 2 small villages near by could now be the merchant hot spots.

Pre placement doesn't mean best placement.

Lord Baldrith, smile1930 and Kaisa like this.
  11. Ara

Ara Avatar

I dont think you read the same thread as the one i posted.

It is actually the other way arround. A huge majority of the ones responding to that thread over at MMORPG.com is very disapointed to the crowd sourcing model SotA decided to have.

That inform me that players over at MMORPG.com dont like SotA crowd sourcing model. At least the majority in that thread.

12. Ara

Ara Avatar

In UO a similar game with houses and vendors the most successful merchants/crafters had their house at spots where loads of players entered or ran through.

Moongates was a good example for good house spots and so was houses close to cities.

13. Akrondar

Akrondar Avatar

uhmm, perhaps yuo are right, but i think you would see similar names because to run a successful shop, in my opinion, has way more to do with variety of products, single offers, pack offers, restock pace, perseverance of the vendor, etc than the location. I remember that i often selected vendors far away for their "packs" and because i knew they were always restocked with the items/packs i needed. I like donuts xD

smile1930 likes this.
  14. Ara

Ara Avatar

You will get an advantage by placing before others and i must say it is getting ridicolous to read how many players over here dont accept this fact.

Only reason for this must be that they are very eager to defend their investment.

15. Ara

Ara Avatar

Locations were not a disadvantage, it was an advantage if it were in a spot were many players roamed through.

But youre right that the one running the shop need to market it.

16. Duke Death-Knell

Duke Death-Knell Avatar

Because it's irrelevant. You don't know where to place as there are multiple starting points and no one knows where the primary gathering places will be. And every city will have a bazaare where people with no home can sell their goods which is actually better because everything will be in that area and I don't have to run from house to house, neighborhood to neighborhood.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  17. Ara

Ara Avatar

Inner city areas of all these multiple starting points will be attractive spots for the ones that can place before other players. They will have an advantage when selling stuff to other players since it will be places frequently visited.

Just watch and see when the game goes live.

18. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

You seem bent on denigrating SotA based on your mundane interpretations. You are simplifying the equation to first in first out. There are so many factors involved that there is no possible way to calculate "best"

Now, if we did go with your over simplification, day one some people will have prime location. The farther from release date it gets the less prime it will become.

Lord Baldrith, draykorinee and Kaisa like this.
  19. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

Early bird gets the worm.

20. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

What if the worms spot the bird and moves. That lot you have just got a lot less valuable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.