Is Selective Multiplayer working or will it destroy SotA?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lord_Darkmoon, Dec 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

Well, the "evidence" is the rise in money ever since the game turned towards being more of an MMO but, even more obvious than that, big ticket items like the larger houses, etc, are very much aimed at the multiplayer crowd.

Sir_Hemlock likes this.
  2. DyNaMiX

DyNaMiX Avatar

Feels more like it was the multiplayer/MMO types who bought in the ridiculous coin to ensure the game continues down their preferred playstyle...

Sir_Hemlock and Alexander like this.
  3. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Dang @Womby ! Very well stated, guy ! I agree completely... ;)

4. Numa

Numa Avatar

I have to disagree. MP in Elite Dangerous is Open PvP throughout all the star systems. The friends-only mode allowed a big group of players (25k or so) to have a PvE environment. It's an inverted model to SOTA but it proves that the multimode player thing works.

Scanphor likes this.
  5. DyNaMiX

DyNaMiX Avatar

Except for when people deliberately switched to solo mode mid-fight to avoid confrontation... that is a thing.

6. Korim Rackham

Korim Rackham Avatar

I personally enjoy the multi player

Chatele likes this.
  7. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Shroud is a unique game and trying to compare it to any other game is a waste of time.

Shrould has always been sold as a Multi Capable game Offline -> MMORPG.

The issues is NOT selective Multiplayer, the issue is and will continue to be PvP - and the concept of sheep to the wolves, nothing more.

When it is either stated straight up for al the PvErs to just get over it or the PvPers to chill this will never end.

And since there can never be balance in this game, with skills and levels considered for PvP, the game will follow down the same road UO spent 20+ years dealing with - the template / skill of the day.

They need to finish the game that was sold in Kickstarter first then they can screw with PvP for the next 20 years, but first finish what was sold. Oh and the other 4 Episodes that have also been paid for with story lines and everything else presented.

Beno Ledoux and Stundorn like this.
  8. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

However you want to phrase it, based on your own thoughts on multiplayer, what I said is still correct. It was the multiplayer types who brought the serious coin to the game.

9. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

I disagree.

Sean Silverfoot likes this.
  10. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Blatently disagree.

Sean Silverfoot and psteg like this.
  11. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

Its just punishing because the rewards for the other modes weren't in before. It just makes sense to reward the other modes with more competition. That's what happens when you play a BETA... eh I mean early access.

12. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Which I still think is wrong.
    You are assuming that it is all about competition. You are assuming that all people playing in SPO are gathering resources and thus have an advantage over those playing in MPO. But this is wrong. How do those playing in SPO just for the quests, the adventure, exploration etc. have any advantage over those playing in MPO? What is their "reward"?
    They don't have any. They are at a disadvantage. Because an advantage for some is always a disadvantage for others, too.
    If there are gatheres playing in SPO, then yes, they have an advantage because of the respawn. But if people are not gathering in SPO what is their advantage? They are only impacted by the 25% bonus of PvP players and thus it is a disadvantage for them. Because when they switch back to MPO they got way less EXP just because they wanted to use SPO for some time and had an adventure in this mode.

psteg and Stundorn like this.
  13. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Then they are s**t out of luck.
    Yes you sometimes actively have to use the advantage presented. Instant gratification isn't the solution.

14. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

@Lord_Darkmoon well said...

Lets say they are going to nerf Solo/Friend XP and lower it.
    It wouldn't get me back in MP, but it would let me take some contact from my friendslist, because i dont want to compete with too much friends about ressources.

If you can play 2 hrs at evening you dont want to find your preferred spots be harvested and overruned!

They better split up Pve and Pvp when joining a scene and create a pve and a pvp mirror. Second they should lower the respawn rate for Solo and FM Instances.
    Lets say for Solo you have 20% respawn of ressources and Mobs.
    You enter allways a full scene, but after you killed all mobs and gathered all ressources the respawn is just 20% of what it actual is. So jo have to wait 80% longer to completely reset all mobs and ressources.

15. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Something something , no real exp advantage in mmo mode being flagged unless abusing it. so average spo will still be on par with average mmo player. (or past as mmo has had to share ), exceptions no dif then spo or mmo players who abused any other mechanics for gain.

But this has been said 100x. yet people keep neglecting it.

16. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Yet the 25% are an instant gratification.
    With those changes players are discouraged to explore and do quests. Those aspects and the whole story get shoved more and more into the background making the annoucement of a story-driven RPG a farce.

17. Earl Atogrim von Draken

You actually have to actively grab the 25% by flagging. From that point on you live in the permanent danger to be attacked.
    Non the less I agree that the 25% have to be removed ASAP because it's just a gift to cover up a boring and meaningless pvp system.
    But your argument seems still invalid to me.

18. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

All the online modes share a single economy - competition is exactly what it's about. Every abuse, exploit, advantage, grind, macro, every alt that's being employed to mindlessly grind resources and mats in SPO and Friends Online mode is hurting the game. Certainly some people enjoy this game mode and like everything else everywhere ever... a few bad apples are killing it for the rest of us. Well, that's life. The economy is what ties all these game modes together and economic health is paramount. What's being done is being done for a reason.

MrBlight and Kambrius like this.
  19. Numa

Numa Avatar

And I would have to add - you can't fix the game by just fixing the excesses of PVP. The PvE excesses (as described above ) have to be fixed as well. Then maybe, just maybe SOTA would become the true spiritual successor to UO and Ultima that the KS declared it to be.

20. psteg

psteg Avatar

So we are to be punished because (even though we paid a lot of money) we prefer a different mode? Yea that's the best way. NOT!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.