It builds character

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by MalakBrightpalm, Nov 18, 2013.

?

How much customization do you want SOTA characters to have?

1. None. Everyone gets the skills, you put points to the skills you plan to use, you get good at them.

19 vote(s)
    31.1%
  2. I like the idea of mixing and matching the set of skills I WANT to have.

39 vote(s)
    63.9%
  3. I want be able to do half of this skill, and half of that one, in place of just doing a whole skill.

14 vote(s)
    23.0%
  4. I want to be able to get powers from anywhere without wasting time on the powers I don't use.

10 vote(s)
    16.4%
  5. I want the powers I've chosen to open up extra options so that I can get cool unique stuff!

15 vote(s)
    24.6%
  6. I want the gear and items to grant powers that stack with my skills so that new things happen.

19 vote(s)
    31.1%
  7. I want to be able to take penalties to one stat so that I can add bonuses to another.

19 vote(s)
    31.1%
  8. I want there to be powers that grant extra abilites, bonuses, or stats to myself and others near me.

21 vote(s)
    34.4%
  9. I want passive or automatic powers to be triggered by abilites and attacks I or others use.

24 vote(s)
    39.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Owain

Owain Avatar

The answer is a free form adventure game, but a game in which each player can select the form that best suits them. SotA is the only game I know of that will permit that degree of player flexibility, which demonstrates to me that even after 30 years, Richard Garriott is one of the most innovative developers in the business.

Pendragon likes this.
  2. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Well my point is its mostly a free form adventure game and Dragon8u proves it. It is not free form to his play style. So if it is not free form to his play style it is not a free form game. It is a selective mostly free form adventure game but not a true free form game. I do agree that Richard Garriott is one of the most innovative developers out there and this will be fun for all of us but facts are stubborn things.

3. Owain

Owain Avatar

It is free form to the degree that each player can select what is important to them, and prioritize their gaming experience based on that preference. Grand Theft Auto has elements I don't care for, hence, it is a game I don't play, which is a loss for that game publisher.

SotA avoids that problem. A player in SotA may want to prioritize their game for PvE, but they still want multiplayer interaction. Why should anyone take it upon themselves to criticize their choice? That is extreme arrogance, in my opinion.

I will play the game I want to play. I encourage all SotA players to do the same.

Skalex likes this.
  4. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

i don't understand the poll.

I like the system the devs are talking about. You gain an adventuring level you get attribute points, and skill points in adventuring skills. If you gain a crafting level you get attribute points, and crafting skill points. You can use those skill points any way you want.

5. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Yes Owain, I see your point, but you do not see mine. Dragon8u is a player right. He wants to have open pvp pk world for everyone. I know that is not in the mechanics of this game. There for he is limited to Selective world PVP. Limited does not equal FREE. Selective does not equal free. That is my point. It is not my stance on how I think things should be, but it is logic. So "It is free form to the degree that each player can select what is important to them, and prioritize their gaming experience based on that preference" does not apply to Dragon8u. Again I do see your point also. But I am sure you will reply.

6. Owain

Owain Avatar

Even in UO, you did not have complete freedom. A player on Napa Valley could never see another player on Pacific. You have to have some form of load control. Older games used separate servers. SotA will use Selective Multiplayer. Both accomplish the same thing, but in different ways. I think Selective Multiplayer is better in that I have a greater likelyhood of seeing players with whom I have interests in common.

I know what you want, but what you want is impossible, in ANY game.

7. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

you did not read my post, I said this was not my stance. Nor is this UO or any other game you quoted. I know the game mechanics are selective multi-player as you have stated many times. That is not the point. I am speaking ideologically. "I think Selective Multi-player is better in that I have a greater likelihood of seeing players with whom I have interests in common." - This has nothing to do with the statement I made, its just saying what you like, for you said "I" many times. It still does not negate the fact that it is a Selective/limited choice, for the PK. I do not like the pk style but that does not mean they do not like it. I know this is not in this game so that brings me back to my original post that says "I believe the answer is this is not a free form adventure game then."

MalakBrightpalm likes this.
  8. Owain

Owain Avatar

UO was just an example which most closely matches SotA. I could have used WoW for that matter, or Lord of the Rings Online, or any other game that employs separate servers to accomplish load control.

Given the current state of technology, there can be no such thing as a totally free form adventure game, so your statement is a tautology. The answer cannot be a free from adventure game, since a free form adventure game is not possible. So in this case, Dragon8u cannot in any way get what he wants, so he may as well stop asking for it.

So what is the solution? I think SotA has arrived at the best solution, that allows players to customize the game to optimize their experience to most closely align with their interests.

Lord Gréagóir likes this.
  9. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

I was not talking about solutions, or any other game. My statement was simple. You are just perpetuating something that is taking up space on this thread that is off topic. I said my point. Start a new thread if you want to lecture on the theories of free form adventure.

10. Pendragon

Pendragon Avatar

In the woods looking for a wandering healer.
    Well to be honest very few games if any are truely "free form". As an ex-pk and a fan of player conflict. A game with total freedom will always devolve into kill on sight, he with the bigger pack rules. The wolves will never have enough sheep, and the end results is a damaged & hostile community. These games have limited success at best with a rare exception here and there. We have to come to terms that unrelenting pking is a thing of the past.

(Edit hrmm lost part of my post)

Oh well! Just basically wanted to say we can create a community where all playstlyles are welcomed, without the titles or insults. No game will get it right for everyone, we should try and realize all or nothing ends with nothing.

Baron Avorin Swftslay likes this.
  11. Owain

Owain Avatar

I am engaged in a conversation. If you don't want to have a conversation, stop conversing. In the meantime, stop telling me to shut up.

Skalex likes this.
  12. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

My point is this is going off topic, and I never told you once to be quiet. I told you to start a new thread so we can stay on topic. Why so hostile?

13. Owain

Owain Avatar

I am not hostile, but it seems that you accuse others of hostility frequently, so I suspect that you either suffer from a case of projection, or your accusation is a passive aggressive tactic.

I am going where the conversation goes, based upon your comments. In this case, you determined the direction of the conversation based upon your own comments. If the conversation has drifted from the topic, you caused it to drift.

Skalex and Isaiah like this.
  14. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

I will stop posting so we can get back on topic and you can have the last word Owain. Go ahead and post on about what you think of me.

15. Pendragon

Pendragon Avatar

In the woods looking for a wandering healer.
    Ehmmm fellas *points to his sig* or do I need to come down there and make you two hug it out? Agree to disagree, I think the main point you both wanted to make was made. I have respect for both you guys, I may not always agree with you, but respect and kindness needs to remain intact. Even the smallest crack can lead to a canyon.

Edit
    *when did I become a dang hippy!?* Just a few months ago I was a savage on the DayZ forums.

16. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

I don't get this whole "hold your hand" attitude. Who do you think you are addressing? Trying to get people to do things your way so that YOU won't call them babies or cowards worked in grade school, and even then only half the time. The people you are talking to don't need your approval to spend their money or play a game. The dev's have already been VERY clear that there will not be a forced PvP mode, there is no way on God's green earth that you are going to get a version of this wherein people who don't want to PvP become flagged as fair game any time they walk out of a city or town. Why even talk this way?
    I'm sorry, are you a dev? Should you be telling people where they can play?
    Your name ain't purple in the forums, and I don't see your face on their Christmas greetings post... I think you are just a backer who's mouth ran away with him on the interwebs. Don't feel bad, it can happen to anyone.

There aren't going to BE servers with this design. One of the things that has been announced in some detail is how the platform works. Our computers are the servers, we are all on one world, and the question is, which players do you SEE, and who sees YOU. Nobody will be able to see everyone, since that would be like standing in line at Disneyworld during the holidays, shoulder to shoulder, in a sea of people that extends PAST the gates and continues throughout the experience. Instead we will all face some level of filtering just to make the world manageable. You may well want to see nothing but those who want Open World PvP, and more power to you. Other's may find that their lives are greatly enriched by never speaking to you again, and this doesn't make them bad people, or less deserving of Open World Play. They just won't be PvP. Don't worry, you'll never see them in the first place.

17. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

I designed the poll not to show any one preference as superior in numbers, but to find out what kinds of customization in character creation drew the most votes. Since a given player can vote for just about everything on that list at once, it's more sort of a graph of areas of more or less interest. If you see nearly half the people or more voting for it, I'd call that a popular idea. If the numbers are down around 20%, then it's an afterthought, if anything.

18. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

here it is easier said, Online single player, PVE Online (this is friends mode), & PVP

19. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

YES

20. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

I agree that the slider should be used to separate pvp from pve, but all monsters and wild life in game should be just as anxious to attack them!

Skalex and dragon8u like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.