Item costumization and crafting

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Moosh, Jul 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moosh

Moosh Avatar

As a former UO player and fan, i always like the crafting professions and the way they could create some really usefull items. Something that all others MMorpg fail miserably to do.
    What I would like to see in this game, and think that it would contribute a lot on having a great comunity of crafter players, is a tool to modify some standard items the characters create.
    For instance... a way to change or tweek the form or the mapping on the surface of a piece of armour my blacksmith will create. Use a piece of rabitt fur to place on the grip of my sword. Use additional iron and some more time to work the metal to make a unique form that i have disigned; course that having a higher chance of failing.
    I think that if players cant control some of the factors on the visual of the crafting items more than just the colour, it will be only as good as it was on UO, and as far as i read this game is aiming much higher.

Tx for those who took the time to read this even with my bad english.

Sir Stile Teckel likes this.
  2. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Well I think we're at least partly out of luck on designing the shape of items. The current craft system went with a.. simplified version of what was suggested. One of my favorite crafting ideas was a morphing tool but it depended on being able to craft individual parts prior to final assembly.. but the current craft recipes skip that extra level of detail and straight to the final product. I was sad.. but it's still a pretty flexible system even if it isn't quite as "deep" as I would've liked.

I think most of the ideas that people had early on managed to make it into crafting in some form or other. Really can't complain.

I really like the idea of being able to add decorative accessories.. but that is again an extra level of detail. At this point I think it really comes down to how much time they had to work on things. This could turn out to be a lot of work when there is already a lot to do. We can hope and talk about how cool it would be.. but I'm not getting my hopes up. There's just so much they can do with the time they have.

Still.. if they had done it MY way.. ;) j/k This team is awesome. My way would've been even more work. lol They'd have to meet another stretch goal to hire at least one more person to do all the crazy things I wanted crafting to do. :)

3. Moosh

Moosh Avatar

Guess i will have to wait on for the holy grail of game crafters (in my oppinion).
    Could u just imagine a in game crafting system where u see all the tools and ur material, u select the tool and it became ur mouse cursor, then u use the cursor just like the movement of the real tool. Using the tool modifies the shape of the material u are using in real time, for instanse u could use a plain, a saw and moving it as the real one would do.
    On top of that, an to finish with gold medal, when u acctually get it right.... u get the archive of the item by e-mail in an extension to be used in a 3D plotter. ;)

4. Robby

Robby Avatar

This is exactly what I want as well.

5. stile

stile Avatar

Everyone has different likes so nothing personal, but for me I would find this absolutely horrible and loathing. For that level of crafting Id go out to my garage. For a game, I do not want crafting to be that complex.

6. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

That's a little too hardcore for your average player. Novelty tends to wear off pretty fast with the more work something is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.