Jumping in and taking the blow

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Sold and gone, Jun 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    It would be nice to have a skill for pvp and for pve in the situation where you see one of your guild/party members is almost dead to intercept the blow or spell. This possibly could be tied into the Charge talent but you would target a friendly member and charge toward them in defense of any blows or spells coming at them. Maybe for a caster you could be able to cast a "sanctuary spell on them or what not. Better yet maybe some kind of "redirect magic" spell for castors that you could cast on a friendly target that would make the spell target you.

2. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Um there is an Aggro Spell, but even thow it is a Nobel idea seems WAY to complicated - target a friendly to absorb their damage? ? /\\???

Redirect Spells? really again Nobel idea but NO, all I would do is create another guy with MAX hit points and absorb a pure offensive casters damage????

again Nobel, but bad idea sorry.

If they are almost dead how about throw them a heal :) There are quick target keys set up just for party members :)

3. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

What if you are pure melee? you dont have a heal spell? Just a ton of regeneration skill points. This has been in other games as well. Let me get some examples for you: (taken from World of Warcraft)
    Intervene - The next melee or ranged attack made against you will be made against the intervening Warrior instead.
    Misdirection - You misdirect threat to the targeted party or raid member. All threat caused by your attacks for the next 8 sec will be transferred to the target.

What I am implying here is the ability to "take the bullet" for a friend. To dive in front of a oncoming threat like a sword swing or a magic bolt.

[​IMG]

4. redfish

redfish Avatar

As opposed to healing them? :eek:

Actually, I was thinking a while back that there's a spell in a couple of different RPGs called something like Transfer Wounds or Transfer Injuries, that transfers a person's injuries to the caster. Which would also serve a similar purpose. It could either absorb all of the other player's health losses to the caster, or their debuffs & concrete injuries, or both.

5. redfish

redfish Avatar

Oh so you mean a non-magic skill

6. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

I was being diverse on my thoughts it could be magic or melee.

7. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Intervene and misdirection seemed to be cast by you to direct the damage to a friend, not someone to defend you.

and again the biggest problem I see is a player could just go crazy with health and damage absorption and just be the meat shield for others, true could be a viable template but :-(

Now if you did so like Redfish says and it resulted in you ABSORING ALL the damage dealt not just a hit or two and layed you out, like a true Sacrifice maybe, but not just a meat shield.

8. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

did you not see the picture i posted of the guy jumping in front of the bullet. Thats what I am talking about. Its just an idea lol. It could add variety to combat for sure. Yes there might be things to work out but everyone likes some variety, and people want to feel good and feel like they saved their friend. This would serve both purposes, even if only in PvE. It could have a really long cooldown so it was not abused.

9. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

Absorbing someone else's damage/debuffs sounds pretty gangster to me.

Moonshadow likes this.
  10. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Well there is interesting things happening in the shield tree...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

12. Borg

Borg Avatar

It wasn't that "WAY TOO COMPLICATED"............

13. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Aye, these are really good, but not exactly what I was talking about. They are however in the same order. Combine Charge and Taunt into the same spell as to intercept a blow and intervene in the battle. Like Charge,shield swipe (all targets in range) and taunt all built into one. :)

Themo Lock likes this.
  14. sn0tub

sn0tub Avatar

I like how all these people saying the intervention idea is too op. Wow has it. Not op. Just add a cd.

15. Albus

Albus Avatar

Personally I'd like to see more such things, as opposed to "healing" (I hate in combat healing, some may have noticed by now :p). I'd like to see your ability to protect or defend your friends depend more on line of sight interruption and/or counterattacks - if you put your body between your friend and someone fires at them, I'd like there to be an ability to block the spell/arrow/etc. or take the hit yourself in line with the OP's ideas. Spells to transfer the damage onto yourself might be okay, but with my bias against healing I'm a bit leery of some target being made unkillable even while he's standing in the front toe to toe with foes but immune to damage by virtue of healing (and transfer of damage to others behind him via magic, if such ability should be added).

I think a target we are protecting should be trying to get into the back ranks or out of combat to be taken care of, recover from wounds etc., rather than just standing there in the thick of things and being rendered immune to real damage because of healing and support from behind; let someone stand in front of them to protect them, not behind them ;)

Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.