Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Jumping...

Discussion in 'Release 2 Feedback' started by jimfries, Jan 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

RG already noted that large items wont be so easy to carry in the future, including the throne of bone likely wont fit in a backpack.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see something like UO where these objects are deeds/contracts to build a fountain.

2. Ao Soliwilos

Ao Soliwilos Avatar

Maybe we will have pack horses or carriages at some point, which are required to move such large and heavy items. Perhaps scrolls could be purchased that would let us temporarily shrink items like the throne, when we are out dungeoneering. There are a lot of possibilities as to preventing our characters inventories from seeming like endless, weightless magical black holes. :)

3. Floors

Floors Avatar

Pack Horse of Prosperity

4. smack

smack Avatar

Given that the Prosperity items have runic carving on them, I feel sorry for the horses that will be branded like that :)

5. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Funny funny. :)

Seriously though, the symbols could be embroidered on the bridle or the saddle bags. :)

smack likes this.
  6. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

That would be a sad and unrealistic shame.... Nothing like clicking a piece of paper and having a forge magically appear.

There should be some requirement for an item to be constructed in the spot where it is to be placed. Once placed it can be moved within it's present location, but otherwise, destruction time.

Deeds were a huge dumb-down in UO and I would hate to see such a hack system set up here.

7. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

I thought the purpose was that you bought a contract for someone to come build it for you, they just didn't have a delay or construction scene before placing it. better for gameplay. You have to use your imagination though.. I know horrible to use imagination in games.

There are gameplay issues with your method, that means I have to pay a crafter to come to my house to construct something and then we have to trust each other to actually pay/do the work. And I have to allow the crafter to place something in my house. Just too much hassle...

Furious Farmer and docdoom77 like this.
  8. redfish

redfish Avatar

Depends what the alternative is. I think deeds make much more sense than carrying around huge items everywhere in your backpack. If they could have a feasible alternative to either in the game that would be good too. But all the alternatives I think would end up being a bit complicated to implement.

docdoom77 likes this.
  9. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

But you'll drag 4 dowels and a board onto a crafting table over and over again.... Deeds make no sense other than the fact that they are a lazy way to do a transaction. Large items shouldn't be carried around at all! It just shouldn't happen, I don't need imagination to know that fitting a couple of chairs and a table into a backpack is just foolishness.

Better would be for you to buy all the components for the item in question, bring them over to your house and once they are in the space, then you could use the deed as a sort of assembly manual (think IKEA) to build the item. If you want it to be really fancy then you should have that skilled artisan come do it for you, otherwise you might not put it together 100% right. When you are done with it, you break it down into it's component pieces and you may lose some if you don't have enough skill in the original craft (i.e. - a carpenter taking apart a table).

Just deeding stuff is awful and is a cop out for those who don't want to bother to create a system of building large items that actually does require imagination. My opinion.

10. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

so it would cost the crafter who "made" the item no items? just paper + ink , just write something out that could be a difficult to craft item? flood the market with any high end big/heavy item? The other option is it costs double materials.. neither sound good to me.

11. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

@Mishri

Correct. They are lending you their skill by crafting a set of instructions. You are going to have to buy the materials to make the item at home, or you could have them come do it for you. I'm uncertain how this would flood the market, since there is actually nothing being built with the creation of the assembly instructions. Either way it makes way more sense than you carrying around a piece (or several) of paper that magically turns into a forge or some other ridiculously large item.

This would empower crafters and ensure that there was a need for them. It would also stimulate the economy by ensuring that materials move through the system at a rapid pace; double mats doesn't sound too bad to me; it's the cost of convenience. The crafter would have to sacrifice the materials to make the instructions and you would have to have them to use the instructions. As long as each player only has to collect them once, it's hardly a huge imposition.

From my perspective, weak mechanics that allow deeds for everything so huge amounts of items can be carried by an individual sounds bad.

We totally got off subject here... Jumping. Weight should definitely affect your stamina which would limit your jumping ability, IMO.

12. smack

smack Avatar

And it will. Chris has already said they're factoring in weight and gear into the jumping mechanics. Just waiting for his Jumping Mega Post :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.