Justice System Brainstorming

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bowen Bloodgood, Sep 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

I like this.

2. vjek

vjek Avatar

As someone being hunted, the logical course would then be to re-log every few minutes to ensure no-one could ever hunt you down. ;)
    Given there are going to be (at last count) ~4000 wilderness hexes for EP1 launch, it will be extremely difficult to "find" someone, if they don't want to be found. A single wilderness hex can be 2000 meters by 2000 meters. The map of UO is 6144 by 4096 tiles. That means just four wilderness hexes, together, could be larger than the entire map of UO, if you presume one meter per "tile" as comparable. So now there's at least 1000 times the wilderness land to search. "Bon chance, mon ami!"

Lastly, I've never seen a bounty system, no matter how well intentioned or designed, that couldn't be ( in some way, no matter how small) exploited by players, without NPC involvement.
    The logic simply doesn't work, or the mechanics are contrived to be terribly inconvenient/frustrating.

With NPC's involved, you can ensure there will be actual justice, in the binary sense. If you were robbed, hire an NPC to rob the assailant. If you were mugged, hire an NPC to mug the assailant. If you were killed, hire an NPC to kill the assailant. If you were insulted, hire an NPC to insult to assailant. Same goes for beatings, poison, disease, temporary injuries, whatever.
    If that's "justice", implementation is trivial, justice is blind and swift. Seems to have no downside that I can find. Finally, it's historically a good system, as Meridian 59 demonstrated with Revenants.

3. deadq

deadq Avatar

You misunderstood my log-out meaning. The hunter would have the bounty for 12 hours and if a bounty logged-out before 12 hours when they logged back in the hunter could resume the hunt for the same bounty.

There are always exploits of some type but there is some added excitement for you when you know you are on the bounty board. The normal random "blue" encounter may just be the next hunter after you. If you have done something that creates a bounty on your head then you have to watch your back.

I like the idea of being able to hire NPC to do your work too!

4. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

He got banned/banished a few months ago due to being reported for too often for hurting sensitive feelings.

What was never taken into consideration (I'd assume, due to the fact that he's still gone) was his staunch defense of SoTA on the MMORPG forums even after the "incident".
    Membrane might have seemed a little coarse here and ruffled a few feathers but he's done more in supporting this game and protecting it and it's reputation from outside attackers than anyone else I know of.
    Even to this day he's still at it.

Most people are obsequious courtiers but some are knights who ride in defense of the realm.

InsaneMembrane likes this.
  5. smack

smack Avatar

InsaneMembrane likes this.
  6. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Were you suggesting only 1 person be able to take up a certain bounty at a time? That is you can only have 1 hunter after you? That was a little unclear? I would think there wouldn't be a limit to how many hunters could be after someone at one time.

BTW: Did anyone else notice that Wanted Posters have appeared on the Crowdsource Asset Request List? :) We shouldn't read too much into that as it could just be for décor but you never know right?

rild likes this.
  7. deadq

deadq Avatar

Yes there should be the availablity of several hunters at one time. Once the bounty is killed then those players that had that quest would get a notice so that they could take another. A limit on the number of quest taken per x time would reduce the exploit of friend taking friend bounty for a reward split.

8. InsaneMembrane

InsaneMembrane Avatar

I was ignoring a few requests asking me not to post certain things... Got banned, and that is fair enough :) I did tweet appeal to Lord British and Lord Blackthorn today tweeted that the ban was lifted, so thanks to both of them of course for making that happen.

I would quote more and post more but it is still hard for me to make actual posts, it has taken me an hour just to do this one with the forum restrictions still attached to my account :p

rild, OSullivan and BillRoy [ab] like this.
  9. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

Welcome back:D

rild and InsaneMembrane like this.
  10. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

beetlejuice, beetlejuice, beetlejuice.

Miracle Dragon, Time Lord and rild like this.
  11. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

Welcome back. You will notice that your MagicPvPSlider has survived your absence and some have taken it a step further. Some have it ad a signature sign.

12. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Hmmm... As long as I don't need an NPC Lawyer or a Degree in New Britannia Law from the University of SotA Forum... I'm playing the game.

:oops:
    "We have Guillotines in this game, let's use them"

But it's hard to punish anyone for committing a crime, unless there are serious consequences in the death of that criminal. In our game's time setting, even if you were caught by a corrective punishment system of those days, a night in the Iron Maiden or trip to The Rack would surely mess up your golf game by morning.
    "Serious severe stat/skill loss" to those who commit crimes of murder "when they die" and theft much lighter stat/skill loss "when you die". Let the NPC world fend for it's self unless that player is witnessed by you committing the crime. But even that leads to some player killing the bartender and waiting on another to spawn...
    *opens the door to the bar* Guards! case closed...:D

As long as I don't need a lawyer... or can be harassed by any system... I'll keep play the game :)

Just thinkin' :rolleyes:
    ~TL~

Father Guido Sarducci and Jambo like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.